What is the Probability of Winning in a Raffle Ticket Draw with Replacement?

In summary, the probability of the first 25 customers being the winner is 1 - (24/25 * <100 choose 1>).
neden
Hi,

This is the question:
Players are awarded $1000 dollars in a contest. Each player draws a ticket from a bowl of 100 raffle-tickets. Once a winning ticket is drawn the draw is over. For every ticket drawn it is with replacement. What is the probability one of the first 25 customers is the winner?

My thinking
-----------
I don't really have too much confidence in my understanding of probability but from what I can see this is how it looks like:

1) We know that we only need one person to win.
2) Secondly, there's some sort of combination of winners that can arise from the first 25 customers (although I am not exactly sure how the combination looks)

I have two ways of approaching this:

1) Solving it according to my own logic and thinking.
-------------------------------------------------

25*(1/100)(99/100)*<10 choose 1>

25 because 25 customers,
1/100 is the chance of getting the ticket
99/100 is the chance of failure
<10 choose 1> because you can have a combination

2) It is a simple plug in and solve question
----------------------------------------

Thus I deduced that using the Binomial Distribution formula would solve the answer.

P(event) = <n (choose) k> (success)^k * (failure)^(n-k)
where n is 100, k = 1, success= 1/100, failure = 1 - success.
(... something tells me this is completely not the right answer since, I never even accounted for the 10 customers anywhere ... confused!)

Nevertheless, is this question as simply plugging in and finding the answer or no? (and to be honest, I don't completely understand how the logic behind binomial distribution formula works).

Physics news on Phys.org
hi neden! :smile:
neden said:
Players are awarded $1000 dollars in a contest. Each player draws a ticket from a bowl of 100 raffle-tickets. Once a winning ticket is drawn the draw is over. For every ticket drawn it is with replacement. What is the probability one of the first 25 customers is the winner?.

oooh, you're making this far too complicated :redface:

what is the probability none of the first 25 customers is the winner? :wink:

Basically you are saying 1 - P(none of the first 25 customers is the winner)

Ok...

So the answer is: 1 - (24/25 * <100 choose 1>) ??

(100C1 is just 100)

Nooo … what is the probability of tossing a coin 25 times and getting no heads? :smile:

(1/2) ^ 25, which is the same probability of tossing a coin 25 times and getting no tails; since both are have equiprobable outcomes.

Last edited:
Yup! :smile:

Now use the same method on the raffle tickets. :wink:

none of the first 25 customers is the winner: (99/100)^24*(1/100) ?

Edit: Wait... that doesn't make sense ... I'm confused!

neden said:
none of the first 25 customers is the winner: (99/100)^24*(1/100) ?

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

No, that's the probability of the 25th customer winning.

Ok for the coin question there's half the chance of getting heads in 25 coin tosses, which is why I said (1/2)25

In this case, I don't even know whether to start with 1/25 or 1/100, they both make sense; 1 winner out of the 25 customers or 1 winning ticket out of the 100 tickets. But which one?

The question asks for the probability that one of the first 25 customers is the winner.

So that's 1 - the probability that none of the first 25 customers is the winner.

If none is the winner, why do you want to use 1/100 ? :confused:

Use 99/100.

(and I'm off to bed :zzz: … see you tomorrow)

Ok, so (99/100)24 is the full solution? Well I guess I'll wait for the answer tomorrow.
I'm sorry but I'm completely new to probability.

Edit: (99/100)25 because total trials is 25, we don't care if 24 non-winners and 1 winner, we want the probability as a whole, right?

Last edited:
hi neden! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
neden said:
Edit: (99/100)25 because total trials is 25, we don't care if 24 non-winners and 1 winner, we want the probability as a whole, right?

s'right! :biggrin:

(well, 1 minus that, of course! :wink:)

Thank you.

1. What is the definition of "Raffle ticket probability"?

Raffle ticket probability refers to the likelihood or chance of winning a raffle prize based on the number of tickets purchased and the total number of tickets in the drawing.

2. How is raffle ticket probability calculated?

Raffle ticket probability is calculated by dividing the number of tickets purchased by the total number of tickets in the drawing. For example, if 100 tickets are sold and there are 500 total tickets in the drawing, the probability of winning would be 100/500 or 1/5.

3. What affects the probability of winning a raffle?

The two main factors that affect raffle ticket probability are the number of tickets purchased and the total number of tickets in the drawing. The more tickets purchased, the higher the probability of winning. Similarly, the fewer total tickets in the drawing, the higher the probability of winning.

4. Is it possible to increase your chances of winning a raffle?

Yes, you can increase your chances of winning a raffle by purchasing more tickets. However, this does not guarantee a win as raffle drawings are random and every ticket has an equal chance of winning.

5. Can raffle ticket probability be predicted?

No, raffle ticket probability cannot be predicted as it is based on random chance. Each ticket has an equal chance of being drawn, regardless of the number of tickets purchased or the total number of tickets in the drawing.