What is the purpose of a voltage divider in electric circuit analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving a voltage divider and using DVMs to measure resistance and voltage. The conversation also touches on the equations used for resistance and the confusion about the circuit setup. Ultimately, it is determined that the main current path is from A to B and the Vx contacts are not connected in parallel.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Please see the picture below.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2505/capturecfk.png

The title of this section of my lab is "Voltage divider". Now I have taken this class before =(. But anyways I know that there is a whole voltage divider formula for resistors in series and parallel. I however never remembered to memorize the formula because it was much easier for me to just calculate the voltage across each resistor.

We haven't gotten to resistors in this class yet or even the formula for resistors in parallel or series and how to find their equivalent resistances. Now I'm probably sure that I'll need to this information to analyze the data which I took.

The data which I was required to take required me to do this:
1) Fill in the shape with graphite from a pencil.
2) Take one DMM, set it to measure resistance, and place the red probe at A and the black probe at B.

Now I know that a DMM applies a voltage to measure resistance, so this is the purpose of doing this.

3) Take a second DMM and set it to measure voltage place the black probe at B with the other black probe.
4) Take the red probe from the second DMM and place it at the voltage contacts (the things labeled V1', V2'... V1, V2...) and measure the data.

Analyze your results.

Homework Equations

R = [itex]\frac{ρl}{A}[/itex]

Where:
R = resistance
ρ = resistivity (in the case of graphite ρ≈1*[itex]10^{-5} Ωm[/itex]
l = length
A = cross sectional area

A = wh

Where:
w = width
h = height (thickness of the graphite layer)

V = IR

Where:
V = voltage
I = current
R = resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I'm kind of confused about the data which I received. The figure is not a complete circuit (V1' contact is not connected to V2' contact etc.). I understand that a voltage source is applied between A and B. But sense it's not a complete circuit there should be no current going through to the V1' V2'... etc contacts. Yet I can measure a voltage difference between the V1' V2'... contacts and B. Why is this?

Maybe I'm over thinking this. Circuits is a lot easier when you have an actual circuit. I however seem to be confused when I have figures and not circuits without physical wires and resistors.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You actually do have a circuit. The DVMs, their red and black leads, and the graphite form the circuit.

So do I have a complete circuit though? Is current traveling down to all branches? The branches aren't connected so are the resistors (the graphite branches) really in parallel?

Thanks for any help!

No, the branches are not in parallel. It's only a complete circuit where you are connecting the DVM.

It looks like the purpose of the voltmeter measurements is to measure the potential difference between points along the central, vertical path.

Well as you get further away from the A and B contacts shouldn't the voltage increase because the resistance is increasing?

No. If you are thinking of Ohm's Law, V=IR, what you say could be true if the current were the same through each branch to the different Vx contacts.

The main circuit (and current path) is the ohmeter DVM and the path from A to B. Very little current should go up any of the paths to the Vx contacts to where the voltmeter DVM is connected.

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path through which electric current flows. It is made up of various components such as a power source, wires, and loads (such as light bulbs or motors) that are connected in a closed loop.

2. How does an electric circuit work?

An electric circuit works by allowing electric current to flow from the power source, through the various components, and back to the power source. The power source provides the energy that allows the current to flow, while the components (such as resistors) regulate the flow of current.

3. What are the different types of electric circuits?

There are three main types of electric circuits: series, parallel, and combination circuits. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths. A combination circuit is a mix of both series and parallel circuits.

4. How do you calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in an electric circuit?

To calculate voltage, current, and resistance in an electric circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This can be written as V = IR. So, to calculate any one of these values, you will need to know the other two.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electric circuits. The main difference between them is the direction in which the current flows. In an AC circuit, the direction of current flow alternates back and forth, while in a DC circuit, the current flows in only one direction. AC is typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is used for electronic devices.