What is the refractive index of Methanol in the Infra Red range?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a refractive index table for Methanol in the Infra Red 2-10 micron range. The OP needs data for pure Methanol and mentions that it has a "finger prints" at IR range, indicating that frequency dependence cannot be ignored. The suggested resource for finding the IR spectrum for Methanol is the RIODB database.
vici
I'm looking for Methanol (CH3OH)
refractive index (n,k) table in Infra Red 2-10micron
If anyone can help me with that

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of concentration are we talking about? If it's small, you can use the index of water as a good approximation.

I think the OP needs data for "pure" methanol.

In my CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, it has a value of 1.3288. But it doesn't tell me at what frequency this value is for.

Thanks, for your help.
But Methanol has a "finger prints" at IR range
that means that frequency dependence can't be ignored.
(at least for my needs)

I checked this data base already but all they have it's transmission spectra up to 2.5 micron

1. What is the refractive index of methanol?

The refractive index of methanol varies depending on the wavelength of light being used, but at 20°C it is approximately 1.3288. This value decreases as the wavelength increases.

2. How does the refractive index of methanol compare to other substances?

Methanol has a relatively low refractive index compared to other substances, such as water (1.333) and glass (1.52). It is closer in value to ethanol (1.361) and acetone (1.36).

3. Does the refractive index of methanol change with temperature?

Yes, the refractive index of methanol changes with temperature. As the temperature increases, the refractive index decreases. This is due to the change in density of the liquid as it expands with increasing temperature.

4. How is the refractive index of methanol measured?

The refractive index of methanol can be measured using a refractometer, which works by measuring the angle at which a light beam is bent as it passes through the liquid. The refractive index is then calculated using Snell's law.

5. What is the significance of the refractive index of methanol?

The refractive index of methanol is important in various industries, such as the production of optical fibers and lenses. It also plays a role in determining the concentration of methanol in a solution, as well as in spectroscopy and chemical analysis.