What is the Solution to This Difficult Bouyancy Question?

• Thread starter Adam Rabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bouyancy
In summary: From there, you can deduce that the mass is 3 times that of the water removed, which is 150 g. Therefore, the answer is B.) 150 g.
Adam Rabe

Homework Statement

Difficult Bouyancy question.PNG

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = pVg
p = m/V

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
First i tried finding the volume of displaced water which i did by...

(50/1000) * 10 = 1000 * 10 * V ---> V = 0.00005 m^3
Next as the metal sits on the bottom its weight force minus the bouyant force contributes to the 100 g mass increase (1 N increase) in weight force on the scales. Using this we can find Mass
Buoyant force provided by 50g water = 0.5 N
Therefore weight force of metal = 1 N - 0.5 N = 0.5 N

F = ma
0.5 = m *10
m = 0.05 kg

p = m/V = 0.05 / 0.00005 m^3
p = 1000...
Which is dead wrong.
Answer says its B.) but i don't know how.
I'm sorry to ask but i urgently need the answer to this one.
Is it ok to ask for working out, or a really big hint?

Thanks in advance
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
1 N is the weight minus the buoyant force ... so what do you need to do with the buoyant force and 1 N to get the weight?

Also, computing the buoyant force is to overcomplicate things ...

Orodruin said:
1 N is the weight minus the buoyant force ... so what do you need to do with the buoyant force and 1 N to get the weight?

hello sorry for the late reply...
Orodruin said:

oh i see. so you need to add the bouyant force?
you then get 1 + 0.5 = 1.5N
1.5 N ---> 0.15 kg
0.15/0.00005 = 3000
thanks a lot!
but i don't get why you added, ill have to think about it

Orodruin said:

ok i understand now, the mass of the ball at the bottom already has buoyant force accounted for and so if it was out of the water it would have that weight force added back to it.
thanks a lot for helping me with my stupidity

if i may ask how would you go about this without calculating anything? i think that's too advanced for me

Adam Rabe said:
if i may ask how would you go about this without calculating anything? i think that's too advanced for me
You will always need to do some computation. However, the easiest way is to note that the weight of the ball is 3 times that of the water removed and the volume is the same. Therefore, the density is three times that of water.

1. What is the concept of buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the pressure being greater at the bottom. This force is what allows objects to float in a fluid.

2. How is buoyancy calculated?

The buoyancy force can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be expressed as: Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyancy force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect buoyancy?

The buoyancy force is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the shape and size of the object, as well as the depth at which it is submerged.

4. How does buoyancy relate to the concept of density?

Buoyancy is related to density through Archimedes' principle. The higher the density of an object, the more it will displace the fluid and the greater the buoyant force will be. This is why denser objects tend to sink in a fluid, while less dense objects float.

5. What is the application of buoyancy in real life?

Buoyancy has many applications in everyday life. It is what allows ships to float, hot air balloons to fly, and fish to swim. It is also used in engineering and construction, such as in designing and building boats, submarines, and underwater structures. Additionally, it is used in industries such as oil and gas, where buoyancy is utilized to lift heavy objects from the ocean floor.