What is the stagnation point for a cylinder in a uniform stream?

In summary, the problem is about fluid dynamics and involves a cylinder of radius a placed in a uniform stream of speed U. The task is to find the velocity potential for the flow and show that if the normal component of velocity on the surface is V=U4(2^(1/2)), there will be a stagnation point at a distance of a(3+(2^(1/2))) upstream of the center of the cylinder. The solution involves using the given V value and finding the coordinates for the stagnation point, where the total velocity is zero. Further assistance may be needed for finding the coordinates.
maths31415926
Fluid Dynamics - urgent

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius a is placed in a uniform stream of speed U. Fluid is blown steadily outwards across the surface of the cylinder so that the normal component of velocity on the surface is V.

a, find the velocity potential for the flow
b, show that if V = U4(2^(1/2)) then there is a stagnation point at a distance (a(3+(2^(1/2))) upstream of the centre of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

I did a, and got:
phi(velocity potential) = cos(theta)(r+((a^2)/r)) + Valog(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do next. I know we can use the stagnation point they give us as this is a show that question, but I'm not sure how. Also, at stagnation points, the total velocity is zero so gradphi = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
But I can't seem to figure out how to get the coordinates for it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Related to What is the stagnation point for a cylinder in a uniform stream?

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, flow and interact with their surroundings. It involves mathematical equations and theories to describe and predict the behavior of fluids in motion.

What are some real-life applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications, such as in aerodynamics for designing airplanes and cars, in weather forecasting for predicting air and water movements, and in the development of medical devices like ventilators and prosthetics.

What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is smooth and orderly, with layers of fluid moving in the same direction. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is chaotic and unpredictable, with fluid particles moving in different directions and creating swirls and eddies.

How does Bernoulli's principle relate to fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is used in fluid dynamics to explain phenomena such as lift in aerodynamics and the flow of blood in the human body.

What are some key equations used in fluid dynamics?

Some of the most common equations used in fluid dynamics include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of viscous fluids, the continuity equation, which states that mass is conserved in a fluid, and the Bernoulli equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid.