What is the threshold for total extinction of light in a given medium?

In summary, the homework problem involves finding the opacity of air given a distance at which an object is just discernible. The equation used is I(x)=I0e-kρx, where I0 is the initial intensity, k is the opacity, ρ is the density, and x is the distance. The point of total extinction is not specified, but it can be assumed to be at infinity. A possible approximation for the intensity not visible could be I(x)=1/e I_0 or I(x)=1/e^2 I_0.
Tiberius47

Homework Statement

I am given a distance at which a particular object is just discernible and am asked to find the opacity of the air.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that:

I(x)=I0e-kρx

but I don't know at what point you have total extinction. Obviously you would only have zero intensity with the density, opacity, or distance at infinity.

I'm using Foundations of Astrophysics by Ryden and I can't find a reference to what intensity of light is not visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A rough approximation might be sufficient. In that case, you can consider something like I(x)=1/e I_0 or I(x)=1/e^2 I_0.

1. What is "Total extinction of light"?

"Total extinction of light" is a phenomenon where all sources of light in a given area cease to exist. This can be caused by various factors such as an eclipse, a power outage, or the absence of any light-producing objects.

2. Can total extinction of light occur naturally?

Yes, total extinction of light can occur naturally. As mentioned before, an eclipse or a power outage are examples of natural causes of this phenomenon. In addition, certain areas of the deep sea or caves, where there is no access to sunlight, can also experience total extinction of light.

3. How does total extinction of light affect living organisms?

Total extinction of light can have a significant impact on living organisms, especially those that rely on light for survival. Plants, for example, may struggle to photosynthesize without light and could eventually die. Animals that use light for navigation or hunting may also struggle to survive in an area with total extinction of light.

4. Is it possible to create total extinction of light artificially?

Yes, it is possible to create total extinction of light artificially. This can be achieved by using devices such as blackout curtains or completely sealing off a room from any source of light. However, it is important to note that this should only be done for scientific purposes and should not be used to harm living organisms.

5. How can scientists study and understand total extinction of light?

Scientists can study and understand total extinction of light by conducting experiments in controlled environments, such as a dark room or a light-deprived chamber. They can also use specialized equipment, such as light meters, to measure the level of extinction and observe its effects on living organisms. Additionally, studying the natural occurrences of total extinction of light, such as eclipses, can provide valuable insights into this phenomenon.