What is wrong with this diagonalization problem.

In summary, A is trying to find an invertible P and a diagonal D so that D=P-1AP. The Attempt at a Solution found that P is invertible and that the diagonal matrix is L^3-11L^2+39L-45.
bluewhistled

Homework Statement

A is

[4 0 1
2 3 2
1 0 4]

Find an invertible P and a diagonal D so that D=P-1AP.

I keep getting two linearly dependent eigenvalues which means it's not diagonal but this problem doesn't state "If it can't be done explain why" or anything like that. So I just want to verify with some of you.

The Attempt at a Solution

I subtract with LI and take the determinant and get:

(L-3)((L-4)^2 - 1)
(L-3)(L^2-8L+16)-(L-3)
L^3-8L^2+16L-3L^2+24L-48-L+3
L^3-11L^2+39L-45

Which I then factor out to be 5, 3, 3.

Am I doing something wrong/missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalues are correct. Now, did you plug each eigenvalue, one at a time, into your matrix to find the corresponding eigenvectors? There are two eigenvectors for eigenvalue 3, and one for eigenvalue 5.

Right but you can't find the diagonalization when the two eigenvalues are the same. They are linearly dependent. Right? I just wanted to verify that I wasn't going crazy.

Once you have two identical eigenvectors for P you can't invert it to eventually find D. Or am I supposed to just assume that D is the diagonal matrix of 5,3,3 even though you can't actually get to that point.

The minimal polynomial of your matrix (x - 5)(x - 3), so it is diagonalizable.

It is diagonalizable if and only if the characteristic polynomial of your matrix, A, splits and for each eigenvalue X of A, the multiplicity of X equals n - rank (A-XI). So check to see if these criteria apply here (you have almost done the first step)

When two or more of your eigenvalues are the same, you need to search for generalized eigenvectors. These generalized eigenvectors will be linearly independent, and you can construct your P-matrix from them.

VeeEight said:
It is diagonalizable if and only if the characteristic polynomial of your matrix, A, splits and for each eigenvalue X of A, the multiplicity of X equals n - rank (A-XI). So check to see if these criteria apply here (you have almost done the first step)

Or more simply, if and only if the minimal polynomial has the form (x - a1)(x - a2)...(x - an) where ai are the distinct eigenvalues of A. D will be the diagonal matrix having a1, a2, etc. down the diagonal and P will be the matrix whose columns are a linearly independent set of eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalues of A.

Can one of you help me find the generalized vectors I have no idea what to do.

Nm, I figured it out. when looking for the eigenvector for 3 it actually splits into 2. I think I did the math wrong the first time. Thanks you guys.

Related to What is wrong with this diagonalization problem.

1. What is diagonalization and why is it important?

Diagonalization is a mathematical technique used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix. It is important in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science, as it allows for the analysis of complex systems and the prediction of behavior.

2. What is a diagonalization problem?

A diagonalization problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a given matrix. It typically involves using diagonalization to simplify a complex system or to solve a system of differential equations.

3. What are the common mistakes when solving a diagonalization problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a diagonalization problem include not properly identifying the matrix, miscalculating the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and not using the correct diagonalization method for the given matrix. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving diagonalization problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving diagonalization problems is through practice and understanding the underlying concepts. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the different methods of diagonalization and their applications. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or mentor can also be beneficial.

5. What are some real-life applications of diagonalization?

Diagonalization has many real-life applications, such as in physics for analyzing quantum systems, in engineering for modeling complex systems, and in data analysis for reducing the dimensionality of large datasets. It is also used in finance for portfolio optimization and in image processing for compression and noise reduction.