What's a good FREE font for integral signs?

In summary: LibreOffice is a much newer and more recent software, with more features and better support for Unicode.In summary, if you want a good set of integral signs, you should download and install a tex-editor.
swampwiz
I like use OpenOffice to do mathematics documents (yes, not as good as LaTex, but it's not as much of a hassle), but I find the fonts that I currently have don't have a good set of good-looking integral signs, so I looking for a FREE font that has a good set of such signs. A small search for symbol fonts has not uncovered such a good set (although I'd like the set to have at least the set as given here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_symbol

And of course, I'd like it to look nice. I already have Segoe UI Symbol, which has these symbols, but they don't look very nice.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You have to ask yourself the standard IT question: How often will I use it? Does it make sense to put effort in, and how much?

If the answer exceeds, say five times, then to download and install a tex-editor makes sense. It's really easy and should be doable within an hour or two (editor+libraries+template document). It is much more comfortable than ordinary word processors.

If the answer is less than five, then why would you do it? The existing symbols you already have will do for these few times.

I said standard question of IT, as it means: Shall I do it by foot or shall I write a program? Shall I search for a suitable sign (and test them over and over again) or shall I download a tex-editor. Now all my experiences in similar cases say: do it right, although it looks a bit long for the one actual example. However, the next slightly different case will come and you will restart the procedure. Latest at the third time you wished you had done it right in the first place. And to be honest, I think it's even faster than testing a lot of fonts. The good ones often cost you money anyway.

HelpLaTeX Symbol Tables(IE) - Mathematics - WikiEducator

Above is a list of LaTex symbols you can use. I use it all the time.

swampwiz said:
I like use OpenOffice
[snip]
so I looking for a FREE font that has a good set of such signs.

So, if you share your OpenOffice document (or create a pdf from it),
do you have to share the nonstandard font as well (or, for a pdf, embed the font in it)?

As a sidenote, I suggest to switch to LibreOffice.
OpenOffice is a dinosaur of a software, that hasn't been updated since over seven years.

Likes Nik_2213

1. What is an integral sign?

An integral sign is a mathematical symbol that represents the concept of integration, which is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve or the sum of infinitely small values.

2. Why do I need a specific font for integral signs?

Some fonts may not include the integral sign as it is not commonly used in everyday writing. Therefore, a specific font that includes the integral sign is needed for mathematical or scientific documents.

3. What makes a good font for integral signs?

A good font for integral signs should have a clear and distinguishable integral symbol that is consistent with the standard mathematical notation. It should also be easy to read and visually appealing.

4. Are there any free fonts available for integral signs?

Yes, there are many free fonts available for integral signs. Some popular options include Cambria Math, DejaVu Math TeX Gyre, and STIX Two Math.

5. How do I download and install a font for integral signs?

To download and install a font for integral signs, you can search for it on a font website, such as Google Fonts or Font Squirrel, and follow the instructions provided. You can also manually install the font by downloading it and copying it into your computer's font folder.