What's Wrong with My Pet Theory of Cosmology?

Thanks for your understanding.In summary, the conversation is about a person's pet theory that the entire universe is inside a gigantic black hole. The person is seeking feedback and criticism on their theory, but it is not allowed to be discussed in the forum as it is a personal theory and not published in a professional journal. The conversation ends with a reminder to post in the Independent Research forum for discussions on new theories.
SeriousEngine
Ok. I've got to know what you guys think of my pet theory.

<< URL snipped >>

There are some things I'll never understand, like quantum gravity, and the like. But I'm an engineer so I can piece some things together. What I want to know is, what is wrong with my pet theory? There's GOT to be something wrong with it. After all, I'm not a cosmologist. Fire away!

For those who don't want to read the long version, basically I think the whole universe is the inside of a gigantic black hole. There is enough apparent mass in the universe to create an event horizon roughly 170 billion lightyears in diameter. I suggest that the universe has no beginning or end, but has a recycling process (rapid growth of smaller black holes) that keeps it from decaying. The expansion of the universe might be an optical effect arising from this process, making objects appear closer than they really are.

The alternative I have, but still in line with most of the above reasoning, is that the expanding cloud of matter that makes up our universe came from a particle shower rather than a singularity (since I argued that singularities effectively don't exist). The problem with this idea is that it would require some extraordinary collision to cause so much matter to "flash into existence".

I'm assuming my pet theory is so poorly contrived as to shortly become roadkill. So what do you buzzards think of my ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Note that personal theories are not allowed here. Check up on the PF guidelines that you agreed to when you joined. (You can submit it to the IR forum)

From the forum rules you linked to:

""Poorly formulated personal theories, unfounded challenges of mainstream science, and overt crackpottery will not be tolerated anywhere on the site. Linking to obviously "crank" or "crackpot" sites is prohibited.""

I don't think my theory is poorly formulated. And I think it is in line with mainstream science, rather than a challenge to it. I just want to know if there IS anything obviously wrong with it. In fact I would appreciate it if you were specific with your feedback/criticisms.

I've not read your theory, and so cannot comment on it. However, let me draw your attention to the following, taken from the PF guidelines:

It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion.

Like I said above, you can post to the Independent Research forum, where new theories can be discussed.

And with Cristo's excellent summary of our policy, I will close this thread.

1. What is the "Pet Theory of Cosmology"?

The Pet Theory of Cosmology is a scientific hypothesis that attempts to explain the origin and structure of the universe. It proposes that the universe is constantly expanding and evolving, and that this expansion is driven by the energy of a mysterious substance called dark energy.

2. How does the Pet Theory of Cosmology differ from other theories?

The Pet Theory of Cosmology differs from other theories, such as the Big Bang theory, in its explanation of the expansion of the universe. While the Big Bang theory suggests that the expansion is slowing down due to the force of gravity, the Pet Theory proposes that the expansion is actually accelerating due to the presence of dark energy.

3. What evidence supports the Pet Theory of Cosmology?

One of the key pieces of evidence supporting the Pet Theory of Cosmology is the observation of distant supernovae. These observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, which is in line with the predictions of the Pet Theory. Additionally, the theory is supported by observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe.

4. What are the potential implications of the Pet Theory of Cosmology?

If the Pet Theory of Cosmology is proven to be true, it would have major implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help us better understand the nature of dark energy and its role in the expansion of the universe. It could also lead to new insights into the origin and fate of the universe.

5. Is the Pet Theory of Cosmology widely accepted by the scientific community?

The Pet Theory of Cosmology is still a relatively new and controversial theory, and it has not yet gained widespread acceptance in the scientific community. However, it continues to be studied and debated by scientists, and further research may eventually lead to its acceptance or rejection.