Where can I do a masters in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, as an undergraduate student in India pursuing a BS degree in Math, you have a strong interest in quantum mechanics and want to specialize in quantum computation for your Masters. However, there are limited colleges that offer a direct Masters in this field. To prepare for this specialization, you can focus on the algorithmic side of quantum computing, which involves studying algorithms and the organization of quantum computing using qu-bits and gates. This is the most developed aspect of quantum computing and would be a good fit for your mathematical background.
Ananthan9470
I am an undergraduate student in India doing my final year BS degree in Math. I am extremely interested in quantum mechanics and want to peruse quantum computation. What is the best possible course that I can take for my Masters? There appears to be a limited number of colleges that offer a direct masters in quantum computation. What other specialization can I take up that may lead me to this field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Ananthan9470.

Quantum computation is a bit of a different "animal" because it is not just physics - but rather computation.

Like normal computation you have the science (computer science), engineering (computer engineering), materials (materials science), physics (quantum physics) and the techniques that sort of "meld" all of this stuff together.

When you study quantum computation you are going to have to figure out what part of this "meld" you will want to study. If you have the appropriate mathematical pre-requisites you can look at the algorithmic side of quantum computing which look at things like algorithms and structuring of quantum computing from its organized "atoms" (like qu-bits and the gates). It's not the only way to do it (adiabatic computation is an approach different from other classes of quantum computation) but it is one approach commonly looked at.

These things are in their infancy but I would say one of the most developed parts of quantum computing (to date at least) is the algorithmic section (i.e. the quantum computer "science" part with algorithms) and with your background that would be the best bet for getting more in depth with the subject.

Related to Where can I do a masters in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic scale.

2. What are the prerequisites for a Masters in Quantum Mechanics?

The prerequisites for a Masters in Quantum Mechanics typically include a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. This may also include courses in linear algebra, differential equations, and quantum mechanics at the undergraduate level.

3. Where can I find a list of universities that offer a Masters in Quantum Mechanics?

You can find a list of universities that offer a Masters in Quantum Mechanics by conducting a simple internet search. There are also websites and forums that provide comprehensive lists and rankings of universities offering this program.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Quantum Mechanics?

A Masters in Quantum Mechanics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as research and development, engineering, data science, and academia. Graduates with this degree can also work in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and renewable energy.

5. How long does it take to complete a Masters in Quantum Mechanics?

The duration of a Masters in Quantum Mechanics program can vary depending on the university and the type of program. On average, it takes about 1-2 years to complete this degree, including coursework and a research thesis or project.