Where do I self-study QFT from?

In summary, the individuals in the conversation discuss various resources for self-studying quantum field theory (QFT) before beginning grad school. They mention Mark Srednicki's book, Colman's lectures and lecture notes, and Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell as potential resources. There is also a discussion about the difficulty of self-studying QFT and the suggestion to also study condensed matter/stat mech books. The conversation ends with a recommendation for the third edition of Gauge Theory in Particle Physics by Aitchison and Hey as a helpful supplement for learning QFT.
alemsalem
I have three months before I begin grad school,, I have been studying from Mark Srendnicki's book its good but I'm not satisfied (because I jumped to QFT instead of studying things in between)...
I found Colman's Lectures (http://www.physics.harvard.edu/about/Phys253.html) and Lecture notes and he's just legendary,, so i was wondering if that would be enough or should I continue to study from other books...

Physics news on Phys.org
Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell is good. It is written in a very casual style, so it is easy to dig into without getting intimidated right away.

edit: Although you will eventually get intimidated no matter what.

you can't self-study qft
too many concepts to build up on, imho

Last edited by a moderator:
elfboy said:
you can't self-study qft
too many concepts to build up on, imho

Probably, but there is no reason why not to waste my time trying, I will learn what I can now and the rest for later.. I also like to get a taste of physics to come so I can put things in perspective..

Zee's nutshell seems like fun at least in the beginning. along with Coleman's lectures and notes..

Thanks..

A very nice introductory read is also Peskin & Schroeder. However, they are quite focused on particle physics and Feynman diagrams.

I second Aitchison & Hey. A very good overview without overwhelming the reader with mathematical details, and the first volume is doable in 3 months.

The Coleman videos lost me about lecture 7 or 8. It seemed like something was left out.

George Jones said:
Another possibility for self-study is the the third edition (but not the first and second) editions of the two volumes of Gauge Theory in Particle Physics by Aitchison and Hey,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750308648/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750309504/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I third this recommendation. A&H was invaluable to me my first semester in QFT. A great supplement. The first time learning QFT, Zee was largely lost on me. After studying it, going back to Zee was much more interesting. I wouldn't say it will be a great resource the first time through. But it may be to others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Where do I self-study QFT from?

1. What is QFT?

QFT, or quantum field theory, is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles at the quantum level. It is a fundamental theory in modern physics and has applications in various fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

2. Why would I want to self-study QFT?

Self-studying QFT can be beneficial for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics or for those who want to deepen their understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications. It can also be a valuable skill for researchers in related fields.

3. Where can I find resources for self-studying QFT?

There are many resources available for self-studying QFT, including textbooks, lecture notes, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen Blundell, and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee. Online courses from universities such as MIT, Stanford, and Caltech are also available on platforms like Coursera and edX.

4. What background knowledge do I need to have before studying QFT?

A strong foundation in quantum mechanics and special relativity is essential for studying QFT. Familiarity with classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and linear algebra is also recommended. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis.

5. How long does it take to self-study QFT?

The time it takes to self-study QFT depends on the individual's background knowledge and level of commitment. Generally, it can take several months to a year to gain a solid understanding of the basics of QFT. However, mastering advanced topics and applications may take longer. It is important to set realistic goals and dedicate enough time and effort to the study of QFT.