Why do different colors of playdough smell and feel different?

• Thread starter KarminValso1724
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary, the conversation discusses the perception of differences in smell and feel among different colors, specifically mentioning the experience of finding a red M&M among mostly brown ones. The speaker also shares their own experience with the same product over the course of 55 years and questions if anything has changed. Finally, the topic shifts to the possibility of the manufacturer including scents for the benefit of blind individuals and the acknowledgement that not everyone has the same ability to recognize smells.
KarminValso1724
Shouldn't they all be the same?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My grand kids say there is no difference in smell or feel amongst colors. If you notice a difference, it could be psychological. Sort of like finding a lone red M&M candy amongst the mostly browns. I would wait to the end to gulp it down, but in actuality, it was the same chocolate candy that melted in your mouth and not in your hand, no real difference in taste.

55 years ago when I played with it, it smelled the same. 22 y/a when my son played with it, it smelled the same. Maybe something changed?

PhanthomJay said:
My grand kids say there is no difference in smell or feel amongst colors. If you notice a difference, it could be psychological. Sort of like finding a lone red M&M candy amongst the mostly browns. I would wait to the end to gulp it down, but in actuality, it was the same chocolate candy that melted in your mouth and not in your hand, no real difference in taste.
I have a couple of cans. I can easily smell the difference with my eyes closed so I do not know which can Is which.

Maybe the manufacturer included scents deliberately as a help for blind people.

Let's not forget we are not all equal when it comes to recognizing smells.

1. Why do different colors of playdough smell different?

The smell of playdough is determined by the ingredients used to make it. Different colors of playdough may contain different scented oils or fragrances, resulting in a unique smell for each color.

2. Why do different colors of playdough feel different?

The texture and consistency of playdough can vary based on the ingredients used to make it. Some colors may have a softer or firmer texture, or may be more pliable than others due to differences in the amount of water or oils used during the manufacturing process.

3. Can the smell and feel of playdough be altered?

Yes, the smell and feel of playdough can be altered by adding different ingredients such as scented oils or food coloring. However, altering the ingredients may also affect the overall texture and consistency of the playdough.

4. Are there any health concerns with scented playdough?

The scented oils used in playdough are generally considered safe and non-toxic. However, some individuals may have allergies or sensitivities to certain scents. It is important to read the ingredients list and avoid any scents that may cause a reaction.

5. Does the color of playdough impact its scent or texture?

The color of playdough does not necessarily impact its scent or texture. As mentioned before, the ingredients used to make each color may vary, resulting in differences in smell and feel. However, the overall consistency of playdough is usually consistent among all colors.