Why Do Tensile Cables Differ in Thickness?

In summary, the question of why cables are thin when used as ties rather than being equally as thick as struts has been posed. The reason for this is that when in tension, the tie cannot buckle, while in compression, it can. This is due to the fact that steel has the same compressive strength as tensile, but buckling can reduce its maximum strength. This is further supported by the bending equation and Euler's column formula, which both rely on the moment of inertia, affected by shape. It has been suggested to either look at these equations or experiment with copper wire to understand the difference in feel under tension and compression.
jonnybmac

Homework Statement

Why are cables thin when used as ties? Why are they not equally as thick as say struts?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because when in tension the tie cannot buckle? or because when in tension it cannot shear?

Steel has the same compressive strength as tensile, so why do they differ?

Many thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried looking on several forums on the internet as well as some educational sites and I oddly have no clue why thin wires are better at tying. The question is now stuck on my mind.

Is there anyone working in the practical field who can shed some information on this?

lekh2003 said:
I have tried looking on several forums on the internet as well as some educational sites and I oddly have no clue why thin wires are better at tying. The question is now stuck on my mind.

Is there anyone working in the practical field who can shed some information on this?

I think I have cracked it thank you.

When in tension it is only loaded axially so the strength is force the over cross-section area, but in compression you have buckling that stops the member reaching its maximum strength, and that if you look at the bending equation or Euler's column formula, they both rely on the moment of inertia which is affected by shape.

jonnybmac said:
I think I have cracked it thank you.

When in tension it is only loaded axially so the strength is force the over cross-section area, but in compression you have buckling that stops the member reaching its maximum strength, and that if you look at the bending equation or Euler's column formula, they both rely on the moment of inertia which is affected by shape.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

You could look at the equations or you could play with some copper wire in your hands. See how it feels under tension and compression.

1. Why do different tensile cables have varying thickness?

The thickness of a tensile cable is determined by several factors, including the material it is made of, the intended use or load capacity, and the manufacturing process. Some cables may need to be thicker to support heavier loads, while others may be made with thinner materials for lighter applications.

2. How does the thickness of a tensile cable affect its strength?

Generally, a thicker cable will have a higher tensile strength, meaning it can withstand greater amounts of tension or pulling force before breaking. However, the specific strength of a cable also depends on the material and construction, so it is not always a direct correlation between thickness and strength.

3. Are thicker tensile cables always better?

Not necessarily. While thicker cables may have higher strength, they also tend to be heavier and more expensive. Thicker cables may also be less flexible, which could limit their use in certain applications. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of a project when choosing the appropriate cable thickness.

4. How do manufacturers determine the thickness of a tensile cable?

Manufacturers consider several factors when determining the thickness of a tensile cable. These may include the desired strength, the material properties, the intended use, and any safety regulations or standards that need to be met. They may also conduct tests and simulations to determine the optimal thickness for a specific application.

5. Can the thickness of a tensile cable be customized?

Yes, in many cases the thickness of a tensile cable can be customized to meet specific needs. This may involve using different materials or altering the manufacturing process. However, there may be limitations based on the capabilities of the manufacturer and the intended use of the cable.