Why don't I get shocks on neutral wire?

In summary, Dave's house does not have a neutral line, so the ground wire from the fuse/meter panel goes directly to the street.
justwild
Why don't I get shocks on neutral wire?

In my textbook the AC current is defined to be one which changes its direction periodically.
So according to the text both the wires of the AC supply should give you shock, but I felt the real shock when I observed that the neutral wiring didn't shook me!

So what is different in household wiring?

Physics news on Phys.org

The neutral wire is called neutral because it is, well, neutral. The other one has AC, this gives AC between the two cables.

Link to diagram of household wiring (USA style):

hsehld.htm

At my home, depending on location, I measure up to 1/2 volt difference between "neutral" and "ground", due to issues like impedance. The US National Electrical Code translates into a max of 3.6 volts between neutral and ground for 120 volt outlet, and 6.6 volts for 240 volt outlet.

Going back to that diagram in hsehld.htm, at my area, that transformer has a single phase 6900 volt line and ground on the input side of the transformer, and a 240 volt transformer with grounded center tap (for 120 volt) output.

"Stray voltage" can be an issue for locations like dairy farms. Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stray_voltage

Last edited:

rcgldr said:
Link to diagram of household wiring (USA style):
The US National Electrical Code translates into a max of 3.6 volts between neutral and ground for 120 volt outlet, and 6.6 volts for 240 volt outlet.

Why the higher limit between neutral and ground for a household 240v circuit than 120v? The 240v circuit is two 120v circuits on opposite phases, so shouldn't be able to pull anything further away from ground than a 120v circuit? Just wondering... I'm away from my copy of the code right now.

So what is different in household wiring?

In Australia, New Zealand and maybe a few other countries
the neutral line is grounded at the household fuse/meter panel

Dave

1. Why don't I get shocks on the neutral wire?

The neutral wire is connected to the ground at the main circuit breaker, which provides a low resistance path for electric current. This means that any excess electric current that flows through the neutral wire will be safely redirected to the ground, preventing shocks.

2. Is it safe to touch the neutral wire?

In most cases, it is safe to touch the neutral wire. However, it is always best to exercise caution when dealing with any electrical wiring. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional electrician.

3. Why do I sometimes get shocks on the neutral wire?

If you are experiencing shocks on the neutral wire, it may be due to a faulty or damaged neutral wire. It is important to have a professional electrician inspect and repair any damaged wiring to ensure your safety.

4. Can I get shocked on the neutral wire if the power is off?

No, if the power is off, there will be no electric current flowing through the neutral wire and it is safe to touch. However, it is always best to exercise caution and treat all electrical wiring as if it is live.

5. Are there any other ways to prevent shocks on the neutral wire?

Aside from ensuring that the wiring is in good condition, you can also install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) which are designed to quickly shut off power if it detects any imbalances in the electric current. This provides an added layer of protection against shocks on the neutral wire.