Why inverse laplace is line integral?

In summary, the Fourier transform is a continuous summation of sinusoids, but the inverse laplace transform is not a double integral.
Jhenrique
Watching this video http://youtu.be/1JnayXHhjlg?t=5m30s, I understood the ideia the Fourier transform, that is a continuous summation of sinusoids. But now If I have amplitude and phase as function of σ and ω, the summation wouldn't be ##\sum_\sigma \sum_\omega A_{\sigma \omega} \exp(i \varphi_{\sigma \omega}) \exp((\sigma + i \omega)t)##? And in its continuous form why the inverse laplace transform isn't a double integral wrt sigma and omega? $$\int_{-\infty }^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty }^{+\infty} F(\sigma, \omega) \exp((\sigma + i \omega)t)d\sigma d\omega $$

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it you are talking about the Bromwich integral? It is just one way of calculating the inverse laplace transform. It is a line integral and an area integral, they are the same thing because of Stokes theorem.
$$\int \! \! \int \, \nabla\times\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}A=\oint \mathrm{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}l$$

lurflurf said:
I take it you are talking about the Bromwich integral?
Yeah! But the Bromwich integral isn't a closed line in the complex plane, therefore, this formula haven't connection with a double integral over a bidimensional region (like is stated in the green theorem).

Yes that is true the closed path integral has two parts, the Bromwich part and another part. Two common cases are when the other part vanishes and the branch point case where we can calculate the other part.

lurflurf said:
Yes that is true the closed path integral has two parts, the Bromwich part and another part. Two common cases are when the other part vanishes and the branch point case where we can calculate the other part.

I did not understand.

$$\int \! \! \int \, \nabla\times\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}A=\oint \mathrm{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}l=\int_\mathrm{Bromwich} \mathrm{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}l+\int_{other} \mathrm{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}l$$

So there is always an area interpretation if you want it. Just close the contour like when you use the residue theorem. Often the other part is zero or empty, sometimes it is not due to a branch cut or something.

By empty I mean we can often ignore the other contour by giving arguments like the Bromwhich contour is closed because the ends meet at infinity or something. All that stuff is not as important as knowing if the term is zero or not.

Likes 1 person
lurflurf said:
I take it you are talking about the Bromwich integral? It is just one way of calculating the inverse laplace transform. It is a line integral and an area integral, they are the same thing because of Stokes theorem.
$$\int \! \! \int \, \nabla\times\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}A=\oint \mathrm{F}\cdot\mathrm{d}l$$

Btw, is because this formula that the Bromwich integral is scaled by ##\frac{1}{2 \pi i}## ?

^yes

Likes 1 person

1. Why is the inverse Laplace transform represented as a line integral?

The inverse Laplace transform is represented as a line integral because it involves finding the original function from its Laplace transform, which is a complex function. The line integral allows us to integrate along a curve in the complex plane, which helps us to recover the original function.

2. What is the significance of the complex plane in the inverse Laplace transform?

The complex plane is significant in the inverse Laplace transform because it allows us to represent the Laplace transform as a function of a complex variable. This allows us to use complex analysis techniques, such as line integrals, to find the inverse Laplace transform.

3. How does the line integral represent the inverse Laplace transform?

The line integral represents the inverse Laplace transform by integrating the original function along a specific contour in the complex plane. This contour is chosen in a way that the integral converges and the original function can be recovered.

4. Can the inverse Laplace transform be represented as a single line integral?

No, the inverse Laplace transform cannot be represented as a single line integral. It is represented as a contour integral, which involves integrating the original function along a curve in the complex plane. This curve can be a straight line, a circular arc, or any other curve chosen based on the properties of the function.

5. What are the advantages of using a line integral in the inverse Laplace transform?

The use of a line integral in the inverse Laplace transform has several advantages. It allows us to use complex analysis techniques to find the inverse transform, it can handle a wide range of functions, and it provides a more efficient and elegant way of finding the inverse transform compared to other methods such as partial fraction decomposition.