Why is a boundary condition at x=0 redundant for this Cauchy problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter onie mti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cauchy
In summary, the cauchy problem given has a unique solution and a boundary condition at x=0 would be redundant as it can be inferred from the differential equation itself.
onie mti
I have this cauchy problem
U_t(x,t)= c_0[tanhx]u_x(x,t)=0
U(x,0)= u_0(x)

I managed to prove that it has at most one solution my question is why would it be redundant to have a boundary condition at x=0

Physics news on Phys.org
onie mti said:
I have this cauchy problem
U_t(x,t)= c_0[tanhx]u_x(x,t)=0
U(x,0)= u_0(x)

I managed to prove that it has at most one solution my question is why would it be redundant to have a boundary condition at x=0

If it is, as you say, that
\begin{align*}
u_t(x,t)&=C_0 \tanh(x) \, u_x(x,t) \\
u(x,0)&=u_0(x),
\end{align*}
then the DE itself says that $u_t(0,t)=C_0 \tanh(0) \, u_x(0,t)$; but $\tanh(0)=0$. So, at the very least, $u(0,t)$ cannot change in time, since $u_t(0,t)=0$.

It follows that $u(0,0)=u_0(0)$, and hence $u(0,t)=u_0(0)$.

But what would a boundary condition have to look like?

Related to Why is a boundary condition at x=0 redundant for this Cauchy problem?

What is a Cauchy problem?

A Cauchy problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation with given initial conditions. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

What is the importance of solving a Cauchy problem?

Solving a Cauchy problem is important in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to make predictions and understand how systems change over time.

What are the main steps in solving a Cauchy problem?

The main steps in solving a Cauchy problem include identifying the differential equation, finding the general solution, applying the initial conditions, and determining the specific solution.

What are some techniques for solving a Cauchy problem?

Some common techniques for solving a Cauchy problem include separation of variables, integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients.

What are some real-world applications of solving Cauchy problems?

Cauchy problems are used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects, heat flow, and population growth. They are also used in economics to study supply and demand, and in engineering to design and analyze systems.