Words that you tend to misspel mispell misspell

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been spelling devestation as devastation, has had trouble with exceptions to the "i before e, except after c" rule, and has been misspelling words lately.
I was going to post to this thread yesterday, but thought at the time I'd wait til tommorrow. (Finally managed to train myself to "tomorrow" a few years ago...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Sidebar: When very young, did anyone else here think LMNO was a single letter - elemmenno?

as in ...H, I, J, K, ELLEMMENNO, P...
Not that, per se. But other things like that: yes, definitely.I used to think the opening lyrics of All in the Family..."Gee didn't our old LaSalle run great..." was actually "Gee doesn't that all sound real great..." For years, I also actually believed that my grandmother's favorite soap opera: "The Young and the Restless;" was "The Young...and the Rest of Us."Indeed, those were the days.

i can NEVER spell neccissary <---- see?

The "y" in "rhythm" is a vowel. Every word has a vowel.

Some difficulties in spelling would go if you remember the prefixes and suffixes. Tomorrow = to morrow
Misspell is American and should be mis-spell! The same with unnecessary = un-necessary!
When in doubt use "ise", but some words only take "ize", like "prize".
Words like "ridiculous" would not be mis-spelt if they were pronounced properly. The first "i" is short, like the second.

After all that pontificating, I must admit my spelling is just as faulty as everyone else's :p

I have problem with words with double consonants - but I see that's a common problem. And often my typing is too fast for th ecorrect "the". Not that I know where/when to use "the" and "a", so it is th emoot.

And sometimes, although rarely, I use "a" instead of "e" - like in "anough".

But then, contrary to most of you, for me English is almost only a written language; I have no idea how to correctly pronounce most of th ewords, so my writing is not clouded by phonetics.

qspeechc said:
Every word has a vowel.
Actually that's a quotation. Here's the source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenhard_Ng"
There's a word of 5 letters that's always spelled wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
pergradus said:
i can NEVER spell neccissary <---- see?

Just remember the Latin, which hasn't changed:
necessarius/necesse

Necess-ary

Borek said:
I have problem with words with double consonants - but I see that's a common problem. And often my typing is too fast for th ecorrect "the". Not that I know where/when to use "the" and "a", so it is th emoot.

And sometimes, although rarely, I use "a" instead of "e" - like in "anough".

But then, contrary to most of you, for me English is almost only a written language; I have no idea how to correctly pronounce most of th ewords, so my writing is not clouded by phonetics.

Having figures out how Polish is roughly proncounced during a rather complex journey to understand Hungarian... I can see how english would be... alien. I personally find the rules of Polish to be... comprehensible, but I'm not sure how well the reverse would work. I think the nature of s, c, and z in English would be a headache.

"Vacuum" and "Continuum"

In my head, when I type or write "vacuum" I pronounce it (internally) as "vack-you-um" to help me remember.

In the same way that when I type "Wednesday" I pronounce it (internally) as "Wed-ness-day."

The above word is not misspelt by me. Somehow, the PF software converts it to 4 stars :devil:

I struggle knowing when to use learned or learnt.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_without_vowels

In [...] Received Pronunciation, every lexical word must contain at least one spoken vowel in its pronunciation. In some [...] dialects, such as General American, a word may contain no other vowel sounds if it instead has a syllabic R sound, as in word.

Well that says it all. "General American" is not English.

*Awaits barrage of abuse*

qspeechc said:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_without_vowels

Well that says it all. "General American" is not English.

*Awaits barrage of abuse*

What? I'm American and I'd agree that "GA" is a dialect of English... of course, every dialect is just that...

Borek said:
And often my typing is too fast for th ecorrect "the". Not that I know where/when to use "the" and "a", so it is th emoot.
Cool! That's like th email!
nismaratwork said:
Just remember the Latin, which hasn't changed:
necessarius/necesse

Necess-ary
Necessarius sounds like the name of a large Neptune-like exojovian with 8 major moons and three other planets in the system, two inner small terrestrials and one outer superterrestrial with a moon the size of Ceres.

:bugeye: ... :bugeye:

I just wowed myself with that.

FtlIsAwesome said:
Cool! That's like th email!

Necessarius sounds like the name of a large Neptune-like exojovian with 8 major moons and three other planets in the system, two inner small terrestrials and one outer superterrestrial with a moon the size of Ceres.

:bugeye: ... :bugeye:

I just wowed myself with that.

I have one response, "Duuuuuuuuuude... whooooaaaa." :wink:

cobalt124 said:
I struggle knowing when to use learned or learnt.
Learned is American, learned is British.

Evo said:

What about "Lorna-Doont"?

nismaratwork said:
Wahtt?

nismaratwork said:
I loved that movie, the one on A&E. Back when A&E was about quality classics, not a tv tabloid.

Evo said:
I loved that movie, the one on A&E. Back when A&E was about quality classics, not a tv tabloid.

:blushing: I was thinking of the shortbread cookies...

nismaratwork said:
:blushing: I was thinking of the shortbread cookies...
Those are great too.

Evo said:
Those are great too.

Heh... I don't think I've ever had one, but the name stuck in my head for some reason. Possibly where my Spanish language course was supposed to be... it would explain a lot.

nu repplee
wuds taht yu tned two myzzpal... myzpull... miyzzdell...

:tongue2:

Evo said:

I didn't know that, I thought they were used for different reasons depending on the sentence. I'm with the U.S. version here though, learned just looks wrong to me.

Whenever I write "learnt" I can't understand why spell checker marks it as incorrect.

Borek said:
Whenever I write "learnt" I can't understand why spell checker marks it as incorrect.
Broke, spelchequers ar poyntlis.

Borek said:

It's an American spellchecker? That'll learn you!

Just thought of this one yesterday as I wrote up the grocery-list:

BANANA

I used to spell it "bananna" until I noticed the spellings in little E's books seemed consistently incorrect. (At 1 1/2, she doesn't say it right yet. She asks for a "bee-ah" instead. She'll eat a whole banana in one sitting though.)

Bananas... makes me hungry.

Oups. I mispeled it rong.

Banananananananananananananananananas.

Evo said:

cobalt124 said:
I didn't know that, I thought they were used for different reasons depending on the sentence. I'm with the U.S. version here though, learned just looks wrong to me.

I thought it goes like
learn (first) -> learned (second form) -> learned (third form)

And same for dream:
dream -> dreamed -> dreamt

rootX said:
I thought it goes like
learn (first) -> learned (second form) -> learned (third form)

learnt\ˈlərnt\
Definition of LEARNT
chiefly British past and past participle of learn

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/learnt?show=0&t=1300407408

Also spelt in America has nothing to do with spelling, in American it's spelled. Spelt is an ancient variety of wheat.

Last edited:
I almost always spell behavior as behaviour.

I also mess up with o's, but that's just because the O key on my laptop gets stuck...

I don't know why, I always want to put a "p" in dreamt - dreampt. Dreampt? Where the heck does that come from :confused:?

Luckily I'm American and can proudly use "dreamed" :biggrin:.

I only use dreamt or learned when I want to make it sound very special or bring lots of emphasis on what I am talking about.