Words that you tend to misspel mispell misspell

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been spelling devestation as devastation, has had trouble with exceptions to the "i before e, except after c" rule, and has been misspelling words lately.
Also, I frequently write ration instead of ratio.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not 12 hours ago, I FB'd a request for a pneumonic to help me remember the difference between discrete and discreet.

Not 1 hour ago, I FB'd a request for a mnemonic to help me remmber the difference between a mnemonic and a pneumonic.

True story.

DaveC426913 said:
Not 12 hours ago, I FB'd a request for a pneumonic to help me remember the difference between discrete and discreet.

Not 1 hour ago, I FB'd a request for a mnemonic to help me remmber the difference between a mnemonic and a pneumonic.

True story.

:rofl:

m for memory, p for pressure

Misspell is one of 100 most misspelled words.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html

Here is one that I would haves never spelled correctly: daiquiri

I remember being surprised to realize that bellwether is not bellweather. I always assumed that the word referenced the weather, not sheep!

DaveC426913 said:

True story.

My Greek ancestors weep.

The Greeks resulted from the alliance of the Geek tribe and the Reek tribe.

Wait, this isn't lame jokes...

FtlIsAwesome said:
The Greeks resulted from the alliance of the Geek tribe and the Reek tribe.

Wait, this isn't lame jokes...

Hey! We're a complex people with a rich history, that unfortunately often seems to involve young boys. *sigh*... but hey, you like western civiliation right? :biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
but hey, you like western civiliation right? :biggrin:
East, west, its all relative.

Einstein said so.

FtlIsAwesome said:
East, west, its all relative.

Einstein said so.

He also said, "Wow, that Pamela Anderson is a total prostitute!"

I think he said that.

Well, he would have... smart guy!

Wasn't he also there when they stopped the siege at Middle Eath?

The-Lord-of-E-mc2--16547.jpg

"Vell.. vee could just drop a hydrogen bomb on that big evil eye. Hey, I bet it would do for the zee ring too, ja?" (Legolastein)

FlexGunship said:
"Vacuum" and "Continuum"

In my head, when I type or write "vacuum" I pronounce it (internally) as "vack-you-um" to help me remember.

In the same way that when I type "Wednesday" I pronounce it (internally) as "Wed-ness-day."

Actually, the way you pronounce vacuum "internally" is also the way we should pronounce it "externally". It is a three syllable word.

I actually like pronouncing Wednesday as a three syllable word also.

One pet peeve of mine is the way people in the public eye (commentators, ad announcers, etc.) pronounce the word "vegetable". It is a four-syllable word. These public faces, however, pronounce it either as "veshtable" or "vetchtable", and sometimes use both mispronunciations.

KM

Evo said:
Learned is American, learned is British.

Generally, I see nothing wrong with the distinctions between American and British word spellings.

There are a couple of cases, however, that have always puzzled me, and this involves the differences in the pronunciation of the words "been" and "again". Americans pronounce "seen", "green", "spleen", "queen", "keen", "teen" and many others as the British do, so why did we drift off in our pronunciation of "been"?

The same holds for the word "again". (re: "rain", "Spain", "plain", "main", "refrain", etc)

KM

waht said:
I usually botch words that end in -uous like "continuous" the 'u' and 'o' get repeated and swapped.
That's probably an artifact of the Qwery keyboard layout.

I constantly misspell "theorum." I guess I'm writing with dialect,

TylerH said:
That's probably an artifact of the Qwery keyboard layout.

I constantly misspell "theorum." I guess I'm writing with dialect,

Do you mean theorem?

DaveC426913 said:
Do you mean theorem?

Yes, didn't you catch the irony? :tongue:

TylerH said:

You mean ironi?

TylerH said:

I thought you were transposing the 'eo'.

I scarcely misspell anything. However, I have letter-color synaesthesia, which makes any misspelled words look glaringly out of place.

Apparently, I borrow a few British-isms, such as the "ae" in "synaesthesia", which Firefox has underlined. On the other hand, many other British-isms seriously annoy me, such as using "-ise" when it should be "-ize". For the most part, "-ise" should be for Latin-derived words (e.g. "advertise"), and "-ize" should be for Greek-derived (e.g. "philosophize"). One exception is "prize", but "prise" is also a word and your spellcheck will do nothing for you there.

Oh, and the worst things I see rampantly used online are:

1. "Defiantly" for "definitely". Because "defiantly" is a perfectly good word, and it's amusing to see everyone doing things so defiantly all the time...

2. "Everyday" when you mean "every day". "Everyday" is an adjective, it means "commonplace, ordinary". Most of the time, it's not what you meant to say. "Every day" is an adverbial phrase that means "daily". This one even appears in print by semi-respectable sources...editing must be a dying art.

Last edited:
Khadaphee.

Learned is what the Americans use. The British use both learned and learnt as the past tense and past participle of learn.

-ize is what Americans use, and is used by some British publishers, like the OUP. However this is a minor point. If you are writing something for print, the publishers will change it according to their rules anyway; otherwise, who cares? Since it is sometimes wrong to use -ize, as in advertise, but never wrong to use -ise, if in doubt use the latter.

qspeechc said:
Learned is what the Americans use. The British use both learned and learnt as the past tense and past participle of learn.

A learned friend. :smile:

Ben Niehoff said:
2. "Everyday" when you mean "every day". "Everyday" is an adjective, it means "commonplace, ordinary". Most of the time, it's not what you meant to say. "Every day" is an adverbial phrase that means "daily". This one even appears in print by semi-respectable sources...editing must be a dying art.

Anymore versus any more. I see people use the former when they mean the latter.

The difference:
"I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more books."
http://alt-usage-english.org/anymore.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be an excellent speller, but spelling has morphed so much in my lifetime (American vs. Canadian spelling, basically) that I now feel a little lost.

Even with 111 wrong spellings, Gadhafi can't touch coffee*.

* Dad: You can go to the ballgame only if you pass a spelling test I give you.
Tommy: Aw, you know I'm no good at spelling. Oh well, what do I have to do?

Dad: I'll give you 5 words. Spell them all correctly and you can go.
Tommy: Naw fair dad, that's too many.

Dad: Okay, how 'bout I give you just one word?
Tommy: One whole word, Dad? You know I'll never get it.

Dad: You're probably right. Okay, I'm going to give you one word, and all you have to do is get one letter correct.
Tommy: Okay, I think that's fair.

Dad: Alright Tommy, spell the word 'coffee'.
Tommy: K - A - U - P - H - Y ?

Q: How do you pronounce ghoti?
A: Fish.

Laugh
Women
Ambition

Separate I used to spell as separate till recently...

Occurring as occurring

Reference as referrence

Probably more but can't remember... Definitely some words that people mentioned here...had issues with unnecessary in the past as well...
Necessarius sounds like the name of a large Neptune-like exojovian with 8 major moons and three other planets in the system, two inner small terrestrials and one outer superterrestrial with a moon the size of Ceres.

*blinks*...*blinks*...

*binks*...

*blinks...blinks*

That's it. Going back to smoking pot.

Last edited:
When touch-typing, my fingers have a propensity to type "yield" as "yeild". I know how to spell the word, but somehow it keeps showing up in spell-checks. "Niece" is another word in which my fingers want to flip the e and the i. I have to watch myself when using the word "quandary", because somehow I leave out the second "a".

turbo-1 said:
When touch-typing, my fingers have a propensity to type "yield" as "yeild". I know how to spell the word, but somehow it keeps showing up in spell-checks. "Niece" is another word in which my fingers want to flip the e and the i. I have to watch myself when using the word "quandary", because somehow I leave out the second "a".

Are you left handed? Most people inadvertantly transpose the right hand letter before the left hand letter.

BobG said:
Are you left handed? Most people inadvertantly transpose the right hand letter before the left hand letter.
I'm not left-handed, but playing guitar for decades, often professionally, means that I have more dexterity in the fingers of my left hand than in the right.

I still struggle with Albequerque er Albuquerey Albequeque...never mind.

turbo-1 said:
When touch-typing, my fingers have a propensity to type "yield" as "yeild". I know how to spell the word, but somehow it keeps showing up in spell-checks. "Niece" is another word in which my fingers want to flip the e and the i.

There are letter I swap quite often, I guess that's because they are typed with different hands, so it is not that difficult to miss the correct order. That's exactly "th eproblem" I explained in my earlier post.

GoDaffy
Ahmadinnerjacket

Got it.