Y-delta/delta-Y transformation problem

In summary, the conversation involves finding the current going into a 2k resistor using Y-delta or delta-Y transformations. The relevant equations for resistance in parallel and converting delta to Y are mentioned. The attempt at a solution involves converting the delta network into a Y-network and using the current divider formula to find the current. There is some confusion regarding the correct total resistance, but it is eventually determined to be 1.5 k Ohm through further discussion.
yugeci

Homework Statement

PsNiZmd.png

The question asks to find the current I going into the 2k resistor path using Y-delta or delta-Y transformations.

Homework Equations

Resistance in parallel

1 / R = 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 ..

Converting Delta to Y,

R1 = RaRb / (Ra + Rb + Rc)

Current divider formula

Ix = (Rt / Rx) * Is

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the delta network of 3 k Ohm resistors into a Y-network of 1k Ohms each using the above equation. (3*3) / (3 + 3 + 3) = 1. Then I got the total resistance of the network as 1.5 k Ohm. Then I used the current divider formula and found I as 2.14 mA.

The only problem is I'm not sure if I found the total resistance of the network correctly. It's confusing. Can someone tell me if I did it right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right, it is ##1.5\,k\Omega##. It is easy to check - delta-Y network is symmetrical so there is no current through ##6\,k\Omega## resistor and you can get rid of it.

It looks like you managed to find the correct equivalent resistance of the subnetwork, but I'm not sure how you went about it given that you started by transforming the outer Δ to a Y. The reason I say this is because the "new" Y won't have the same central connection as the existing one, nor will it be at the same potential by symmetry (since the existing one has legs 3-6-3, while the new one has legs 1-1-1 all in kΩ). Just looks like a lot of work from that point!

If you'd done the opposite and transformed the existing Y to a Δ, each new resistor would parallel one in the existing Δ, leaving a single Δ with a "wing" that can collapse to a single resistance and it's easy going from there.

szynkasz said:
Right, it is ##1.5\,k\Omega##. It is easy to check - delta-Y network is symmetrical so there is no current through ##6\,k\Omega## resistor and you can get rid of it.

Ah, so it is! Well spotted!

I would suggest double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a circuit diagram and label all the resistors and current paths to visually understand the problem better. It is also important to understand the principles behind Y-delta/delta-Y transformations and how they apply to this specific problem. If you are still unsure, I recommend seeking guidance from a mentor or classmate. Overall, it is important to approach the problem systematically and with a clear understanding of the equations and principles involved.

1. What is a Y-delta/delta-Y transformation problem?

A Y-delta/delta-Y transformation problem is a mathematical problem in electrical engineering that involves converting a three-phase circuit with a Y configuration to an equivalent circuit with a delta configuration, or vice versa. This is often done to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier.

2. Why is the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation used?

The Y-delta/delta-Y transformation is used to simplify calculations in three-phase circuits. It allows for easier analysis and can help determine the voltage, current, and power in the circuit more accurately. This transformation is also used to reduce the number of components in a circuit, making it more efficient and cost-effective.

3. How is the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation performed?

To perform the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation, the circuit must be redrawn using a specific set of rules. For Y to delta transformation, the three branches of the Y circuit are connected to form a triangle, and for delta to Y transformation, the three corners of the delta circuit are connected to form a Y. The resistor values are then recalculated using a specific formula to find the equivalent resistance in the new configuration.

4. What are the benefits of using the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation?

The main benefit of using the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation is simplification. It allows for easier calculations and analysis of complex three-phase circuits. This transformation also helps reduce the number of components in a circuit, making it more efficient and cost-effective.

5. Are there any limitations to the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation. This transformation is only applicable to three-phase circuits and cannot be used for single-phase circuits. It also assumes that all components in the circuit are balanced, meaning that they have equal values and are connected in a symmetrical manner. If the circuit is unbalanced, the Y-delta/delta-Y transformation will not produce accurate results.