Equilibrium Constant Calculation

In summary: When I substitute into each other, they all just cancel out to 0=0.Which is exactly what I wrote in the post #5 - have you read it?
Air
Homework Statement
With the 5 equations, the equilibrium contants can be calculated at the bottom. (See image)
P1.jpg

My complication
I am aware that [itex]X = 200[/itex] thus that value remains at that. Also, From the fourth equation [itex]K_{out}[/itex] = [itex]Cl_{out}[/itex]. But, I cannot seem to work out the values. If not simple algebra, what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Won't hurt if you would explain what is the question that you are solving, at the moment you just posted a bunch of equations describing some undefined system.

P12.jpg

From this, finding the concentrations at equilibrium.

I understand how the equations are set up but I can't seem to solve the maths to get the equilibrium constants. Is there something I am missing? Like I said, I am aware that [itex]X = 200[/itex] thus that value remains at that. Also, From the fourth equation [itex]K_{out}[/itex] = [itex]Cl_{out}[/itex].

Simple algebra.

My bet is your problem is related to the fact you have too many equations - they are not all independent, which makes you getting 0=0 type result.

By equilibrium constants are we to guess that the protein forms complexes we might call XCl- and XCl2 in non-coperative fashion so it is characterised by a single equilibrium constant which it is required to calculate from the data?

I think you had better cite the entire question.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
By equilibrium constants are we to guess that the protein forms complexes we might call XCl- and XCl2 in non-coperative fashion so it is characterised by a single equilibrium constant which it is required to calculate from the data?

I think you had better cite the entire question.

The whole question is posted in post number 3. https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4410136&postcount=3

You do realize there is no problem with solving the question using your approach and the simple algebra, it is just a matter of ignoring superfluous information?

Borek said:
You do realize there is no problem with solving the question using your approach and the simple algebra, it is just a matter of ignoring superfluous information?

When I substitute into each other, they all just cancel out to 0=0.

Which is exactly what I wrote in the post #5 - have you read it? That's because the linear equations are not independent. Ignore one of the linear ones and you will get the correct answer.

1. What is the equilibrium constant and how is it calculated?

The equilibrium constant, represented as Keq, is a measure of the extent to which a chemical reaction proceeds towards equilibrium. It is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation.

2. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

According to Le Chatelier's Principle, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the endothermic direction, resulting in an increase in the equilibrium constant. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the exothermic direction, causing a decrease in the equilibrium constant.

3. Can the equilibrium constant be altered?

The equilibrium constant is a characteristic property of a chemical reaction and cannot be altered. However, it can be influenced by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentrations of the reactants and products.

4. How can the equilibrium constant be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

If the value of the equilibrium constant is greater than 1, the reaction will favor the formation of products at equilibrium. If the value is less than 1, the reaction will favor the formation of reactants. If the value is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium and the concentrations of the reactants and products are equal.

5. What are the limitations of using the equilibrium constant to predict the feasibility of a reaction?

The equilibrium constant only takes into account the concentrations of the reactants and products at equilibrium and does not consider the reaction rate or the potential for side reactions. It also assumes that the reaction is taking place at a constant temperature and pressure, which may not always be the case in a real-life scenario.