Mechanics of materials dx,dz,dz

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinitesimal sizes in relation to cutting out an elemental cube of a rigid body. While it is generally believed that dy, dx, and dz have the same infinitesimal size, it is argued that they may not necessarily be equal and can vary depending on the shape of the volume being cut. The use of infinitesimals in physics and engineering is also briefly mentioned, and the conversation concludes with a suggestion to look into nonstandard analysis for a more rigorous understanding.
Cyrus
Im taking mechanics of materials. One of the things they talk about is cutting out a small elemental cube of a rigid body, that has sides dx,dz,dz. Is it always true that dy,dx, and dz have the same infinitesimal size? I thought that they would not necessarily be the same size, which could give you a rectangle. The reason I thought this is say you have say a rectangular box, and cut it with a grid pattern, and you make the grid finer and finer. Then if its longer in the x direction than the y direction, a rectangular box, and I make my grid all squares based on the smallest dimenson, the y direction, then I can shrink all the squares more and more. It is clear that as my grid shrinks, I will approach dy much faster than I approach dx. I would expect to get to dy first, as y is the smaller direction, and dx much later, if its x>>y, since I cut it into cubes and made those cubes finer and finer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I follow. Why can't you cut an elemental cube out of any volume you want? Why does it matter if it is a rectangular box? We said we were looking at an elemental cube. Therefore, it is a cube.

Also, can't an infinite number of such infinitesimal cubes make up any volume of any shape?

Sorry to respond to questions with questions, but I'm not 100% positive.

Its cool. It matters if its an rectangular box because Mohrs Circle works for an elemental cube, not a rectangle. I am asking if dy, dx and dz are always equal in value. I have never read anywhere that said they were, and usually engineering texts are very loose in how they use their math. I know that dx, dy and dz are independent of each other, so I thought they might also be different in value from one another, but I was not quite sure.

dx, dy or dz or any other infinitesimals are not finite quantities. You cannot assign a definite value to them and you cannot compare their sizes. For physics and engineering, you can think of them as 'sufficiently small' quantities (so that you get the accuracy you desire, or you can pass to the limit in an ideal situation). This is of course, not mathematically rigorous. Take the pythagorean theorem for example. On a curved 2 dimensional surface, [tex] ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 [/tex] describes the geometry of the surface at a 'sufficiently small' area. Hm.. actually, I am kinda confused.. the above equation seems to imply that [tex] ds^2 [/tex] is somehow larger than the other two.. but that would be meaning less, ds is an infinitesimal length, just like the other two..help..

Look into nonstandard analysis, which attempts to make the loosey-goosey handwaving made by physicists rigorous. Infinitesimals are comparable/scalable/etc. Without these features, finding the length of a curve is downright difficult.

1. What is the difference between dx, dy, and dz in mechanics of materials?

Dx, dy, and dz are commonly used to represent the infinitesimal changes in length, width, and height, respectively, of a material or structure. These variables are used in the study of mechanics of materials to analyze the deformation and stress of a material or structure under various loading conditions.

2. How do dx, dy, and dz relate to strain and stress in mechanics of materials?

Dx, dy, and dz are used to calculate the strain and stress of a material or structure using equations such as Hooke's Law and the stress-strain curve. These variables represent the changes in dimensions of a material or structure, which directly affect its strain and stress levels.

3. Why are dx, dy, and dz important in the analysis of materials and structures?

Dx, dy, and dz are important in understanding the behavior of materials and structures under different loading conditions. By measuring and analyzing these infinitesimal changes, engineers and scientists can predict the deformation and failure of materials and structures, and design them accordingly.

4. How are dx, dy, and dz measured in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, dx, dy, and dz can be measured using various techniques such as strain gauges, extensometers, and displacement sensors. These instruments can provide accurate measurements of the changes in dimensions of a material or structure under different loads.

5. Can dx, dy, and dz be used to analyze materials and structures in different directions?

Yes, dx, dy, and dz can be used to analyze materials and structures in different directions, depending on the loading conditions. For example, in a three-dimensional analysis, these variables can represent the changes in length, width, and height of a material or structure in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.