Gaining Intuitive Understanding of Parallel Transporting Tensors

In summary, tensors can be visualized as arrows or parallel lines depending on their rank. For higher rank tensors, they can be thought of as a pair of arrows emanating from the same point or as overlapping sets of parallel lines. Another visualization method involves thinking of tensors as stacked surfaces or layers of an onion. These visualizations can be used to better understand the geometric properties and behavior of tensors.
snoopies622
A vector is drawn as an arrow, a covector (one-form) as a series of parallel lines. Is there a way to pictorially represent a tensor of rank greater than one? I want to have an intuitive/geometric sense of what it means to parallel transport such an object, and without a picture I don’t have one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The outer product of two vectors is a simple tensor.

[tex]u^a v^b = w^{ab}[/tex]

So for visualization purposes, you can imagine a tensor as a pair of arrows emanating from the same point.

The book Gravitation, by Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, discusses this ad nauseam. I recommend you take a look at that.

Mtw

Yeah … MTW really rocks on this! :smile:

Thanks; I just happen to have that massive book on loan from the UNH physics library right now. I like Phlogistonian's idea, too. I guess if a (2,0) tensor can be imagined as a pair of arrows emanating from the same point then a (0,2) tensor like the metric tensor can be visualized as two overlapping sets of parallel lines that curve along with the coordinate system, although I suspect that there are limitations to such things...

a covector (one-form) as a series of parallel lines.

I've never known much about visualizing tensors. Could someone explain how this visualization works? It's obvious that a vector can be thought of as an arrow, but I'm not sure how a covector would be a series of parallel lines to be honest.

One visualization I am familiar with applies only to differential n-forms. It grows out of integration theory. Basically, you think of an n-form as being the sort of "density" or volume element that you would integrate over a manifold.

zpconn said:
I've never known much about visualizing tensors. Could someone explain how this visualization works? It's obvious that a vector can be thought of as an arrow, but I'm not sure how a covector would be a series of parallel lines to be honest.

One visualization I am familiar with applies only to differential n-forms. It grows out of integration theory. Basically, you think of an n-form as being the sort of "density" or volume element that you would integrate over a manifold.

Well, not really parallel lines, but parallel surfaces. Think of the function [tex]f(x)[/tex]. The gradient [tex] df[/tex] or [tex]\nabla f[/tex] defines a one-form, and if you contract with a vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex], you get the directional derivative of [tex]f[/tex] in the direction pointed by [tex]\vec{v}[/tex].

If you take a curve with tangent vector [tex]\vec{v}(\lambda)[/tex] and you integrate [tex]\langle df, \vec{v} \rangle[/tex] along the curve, then by the fundamental theorem of calculus, you are integrating [tex]df/d\lambda[/tex], or how much f changes. Now think of surfaces [tex]f(x) = const[/tex], where each surface is evaluated for a different constant, and the constants are say, 1 unit apart. The integral you just computed tells you how many surfaces you have to cross as you move along the curve. MTW calls this "bongs of a bell" but anyway. So people visualize covectors, oneforms of the form [tex]df[/tex], as stacked surfaces, like layers of an onion.

Very nice. That's a neat way of doing it. But am I right in supposing it only works for exact forms (since you visualize it as the level surfaces of a function f such that the one-form is given by df)?

Yup.

zpconn said:
Very nice. That's a neat way of doing it. But am I right in supposing it only works for exact forms (since you visualize it as the level surfaces of a function f such that the one-form is given by df)?

It can always work locally.

robphy said:
It can always work locally.

If said 1-form is not closed...? What is [tex]\omega = y\, dx[/tex] the differential of?

lbrits said:
If said 1-form is not closed...? What is [tex]\omega = y\, dx[/tex] the differential of?
I think he means pointwise (e.g. draw the pictures in the tangent space at the point of interest), rather than being perfectly accurate within an entire open neighborhood.

MeJennifer said:
Very nice!

Do you have a pdf where the individual pages are separated?

Thanks.
Sorry... I don't have that with letter-size pages.
...but here is an early version:
http://physics.syr.edu/~salgado/papers/VisualTensorCalculus-AAPT-01Sum.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is parallel transporting in tensors?

Parallel transporting in tensors refers to the process of moving a tensor along a given path without changing its direction or shape. It involves maintaining the alignment of the tensor's components with respect to the coordinates of the path.

2. Why is it important to understand parallel transporting in tensors?

Understanding parallel transporting in tensors is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare tensors in different coordinate systems. It also helps to preserve the geometric properties of tensors, which is crucial in many areas of science and engineering.

3. How does one gain intuitive understanding of parallel transporting in tensors?

To gain intuitive understanding of parallel transporting in tensors, it is important to first have a solid understanding of tensor algebra and calculus. It also helps to visualize the movement of tensors along different paths and to practice with different examples and exercises.

4. What are some common applications of parallel transporting in tensors?

Parallel transporting in tensors has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some common applications include analyzing stress and strain in materials, studying the curvature of space-time in general relativity, and developing algorithms for data analysis and machine learning.

5. Are there any limitations to parallel transporting in tensors?

While parallel transporting in tensors is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it only applies to tensors that are defined on smooth manifolds. Additionally, parallel transporting does not take into account external forces or constraints that may affect the movement of the tensor along a path.