Including uncertainties in kenematic equations

In summary, the student is trying to calculate final velocity with uncertainties included. They are using a formula and given values, but are unsure of how to handle uncertainties when formula constants are involved. The uncertainty propagation method being used is relative uncertainty, and the result is .18 ± .21. However, this may not be a sensible result as the final velocity should be positive.
omarsalem91

Homework Statement

So basically I'm supposed to calculate final velocity given time, displacement, and initial velocity. The only problem is that I'm supposed to find these results with uncertainties included. I know the how to do basic calculations with uncertainties I'm just confused when formula constants are involved. See below.

Homework Equations

The formula I'm using is S=(U+V/2)*T\
These are my values. .103(+/-.1)= (0+V/2)*1.14(+/-.2)

The Attempt at a Solution

After I had divided displacement by time I needed to get the 2 out from under there so I multiplied. Heres where I got confused- What do I do about the uncertainties? Do I multiply them by 2 as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
omarsalem91 said:

Homework Statement

So basically I'm supposed to calculate final velocity given time, displacement, and initial velocity. The only problem is that I'm supposed to find these results with uncertainties included. I know the how to do basic calculations with uncertainties I'm just confused when formula constants are involved. See below.

Homework Equations

The formula I'm using is S=(U+V/2)*T\
These are my values. .103(+/-.1)= (0+V/2)*1.14(+/-.2)

The Attempt at a Solution

After I had divided displacement by time I needed to get the 2 out from under there so I multiplied. Heres where I got confused- What do I do about the uncertainties? Do I multiply them by 2 as well?

When dealing with product and division uncertainty propagation I think you are using relative or percentage uncertainties, so the effect of a constant 2 with no uncertainty, should have no overall effect on the relative uncertainty of the result. (It should of course double the Absolute uncertainty.)

For your example the relative uncertainty of S is .1/.103 is 97% (was there a typo in your uncertainty?)
And the T uncertainty is .2/1.14 = 17.5% yielding a total of 97% + 17.5% + 0% (for your constant)
Hence then on your measured result of .206/1.14 = .18 ± 114.5% = .18 ± .21 which may be nonsensical since V must have been positive?

Edit:Other treatments of uncertainty propagation use the RSS of absolute uncertainties for addition and subtraction and RSS of Relative uncertainties for multiplication and division operations, when the measurement quantities are independent.

In this case the sq root of (.97)2 + (.175)2 yields 98.6%

Last edited:
Thanks so much and yes there was a typo- it was .01/.103

1. What are uncertainties in kinematic equations?

Uncertainties in kinematic equations refer to the errors or variations in the measurement of the quantities involved in the equations. These uncertainties can arise due to limitations in measurement tools or human error.

2. Why is it important to include uncertainties in kinematic equations?

Including uncertainties in kinematic equations allows for a more accurate representation of the physical system being studied. By accounting for uncertainties, the results obtained from the equations are more reliable and can provide a better understanding of the system's behavior.

3. How are uncertainties quantified in kinematic equations?

Uncertainties in kinematic equations are quantified using error propagation techniques, where the uncertainties in each variable are combined to determine the overall uncertainty in the final result. This can be done using mathematical formulas or through graphical methods.

4. What are some common sources of uncertainties in kinematic equations?

Some common sources of uncertainties in kinematic equations include limitations in measurement tools, errors in data recording, and assumptions made in the equations. Environmental factors such as temperature and air resistance can also contribute to uncertainties.

5. How can uncertainties in kinematic equations be minimized?

To minimize uncertainties in kinematic equations, it is important to use precise and accurate measurement tools, record data carefully, and minimize assumptions made in the equations. Conducting multiple trials and taking the average can also reduce uncertainties. Additionally, considering and accounting for environmental factors can also help to minimize uncertainties.