Tensor Rank: Scalar, Vector, Matrix, & More

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and properties of tensor rank. It is noted that zero-rank tensor is a scalar, rank one tensor is a vector, and rank two tensor is a 3x3 matrix. The possibility of representing higher rank tensors with square matrices is also discussed, with the idea that each index represents a coordinate in the matrix. The concept of dual basis and the construction of basis for tensors of type (0,4) is also mentioned. It is noted that a tensor is independent of bases, but its components change when a different basis is used. The connection to coordinate systems is explained, as well as the possibility of representing rank 3 tensors with stretched out matrices.
KFC
Hi there,
I have a question about tensor rank. As we know, zero-rank tensor is scalar, rank one tensor is a vector and rank two tensor is a 3x3 matrix. Moreover, scalar and vector can also be written in the form of matrix. However, for higher rank tensor, says rank 4, according to the definition, there are 3^4 = 81 entries. And many textbook wrote rank 4 tensor, in index form, as

[tex]T_{\alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta}[/tex]

i.e., there are four indices. So can we also write higher rank tensor (rank 4 or above) with a square matrix? If so, what does each index mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
4 indices means a means a hypercube, not a really big square matrix. think about it, each element has 4 "coordinates" in the matrix - obviously you need 4 dimensions to display em all.

(I won't be writing any summation sigmas in this post, because we always sum over those indices that appear twice, and only those. This is the Einstein summation convention).

If V is a vector space, you can define the dual space V* as the set of all linear functions from V into the real numbers. A tensor of type (n,m) is a multilinear (linear in all variables) function

[tex]T:\underbrace{V^*\times\cdots\times V^*}_{\mbox{n factors}}\times\underbrace{V\times\cdots\times V}_{\mbox{m factors}}\rightarrow\mathbb R[/tex]

What you call a tensor of rank 4 is a tensor of type (0,4).

Given a basis [itex]\{\vec e_i\}[/itex] of V, you can define a basis [itex]\{\tilde e^i\}[/itex] of V* by

[tex]\footnotesize\tilde e^i(\vec e_j)=\delta^i_j[/tex]

where the right-hand side is the Kronecker delta (i.e. it's =1 when i=j and zero otherwise). This basis is called the dual basis of [itex]\{\vec e_i\}[/itex].

The set of all tensors of type (0,4) also has a natural vector space structure, and we can use any basis of V* to construct a basis for it. For example, the one constructed from [itex]\{\tilde e^i\}[/itex] is [itex]\{\tilde e^i\otimes\tilde e^j\otimes\tilde e^k\otimes\tilde e^l\}[/itex]. The [itex]\otimes[/itex] symbol has a simple definition. I'll just give an example: If [itex]\tilde\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\tilde\beta[/itex] are members of V*, we have

[tex]\tilde\alpha\otimes\tilde\beta(\vec u,\vec v)=\tilde\alpha(\vec u)\tilde\beta(\vec v)[/tex]

for all [itex]\vec u[/itex] and [itex]\vec v[/itex] in V.

OK, here's the definition of your T with 4 indices. It's the components of T when we express it using a basis:

[tex]T=T_{ijkl}\tilde e^i\otimes\tilde e^j\otimes\tilde e^k\otimes\tilde e^l[/tex]

It's easy to show that

[tex]T_{ijkl}=T(\vec e_i,\vec e_j,\vec e_k,\vec e_l)[/tex]

Note that the tensor itself is something that's completely independent of all bases. It's the components of the tensor that changes when you decide to use another basis.

If you're wondering what any of this has to do with changing coordinate systems, the answer is that the vector space V is usually a tangent space of a manifold (there's one at each point), and you can use a coordinate system to construct a basis for the tangent space at any point where the coordinate system is defined.

Note that a rank 2 tensor is not necessarily a 3x3 matrix. For example the kronocker delta is represented by a 2x2 matrix, and the Minkowski metric is represented by a 4x4 matrix.

A rank 3 matrix could be represented by a matrix that is being stretched out into a third dimension. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol for such an image.

nicksauce said:
For example the kronocker delta is represented by a 2x2 matrix,
Actually it's an nxn matrix where n is the dimension of the manifold. :smile:

1. What is the definition of tensor rank?

The rank of a tensor is the number of dimensions it has. It is also known as the order or degree of a tensor.

2. What are the different types of tensors and their ranks?

The most commonly used tensors are scalar (rank 0), vector (rank 1), and matrix (rank 2). However, tensors can have any number of dimensions and therefore any rank.

3. How is tensor rank different from matrix rank?

Tensor rank refers to the number of dimensions of a tensor, while matrix rank refers to the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in a matrix. A tensor can have a higher rank than its corresponding matrix.

4. How is tensor rank related to tensor operations?

The rank of a tensor determines the number of indices needed to access its elements and the number of indices needed for tensor operations. For example, tensor addition requires both tensors to have the same rank, while tensor multiplication can involve tensors of different ranks.

5. Can a tensor's rank change?

No, the rank of a tensor is fixed and cannot change. However, a tensor can be reshaped into a different shape, which may change the number of dimensions and the rank of the tensor.