Moment of Inertia Homework: Parts C & D

In summary, the ans is wrong. The student is trying to solve for the moment of inertia about the heavy end, but must use radial distances from the heavy end with respect to the light end in the calculation.
athrun200

Homework Statement

part c and part d
attachment.php?attachmentid=37226&stc=1&d=1310800089.jpg

And the ans.
a.)140
b.)130/21
c.)6.92M
d.)150M/7

Homework Equations

attachment.php?attachmentid=37225&stc=1&d=1310800089.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=37227&stc=1&d=1310800092.jpg

It seems the ans is wrong, I am not sure.
Can you help me?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 475
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 426
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
the density you used is defined from the lighter end and you have to find I about heavier end.

you may take the dx element at distance x from heavy end and then use (10-x) in the equation of density

The parallel axis theorem works fine for objects with constant density. This object doesn't have constant density -- the density varies from end to end. Therefore there will be a light end and a heavy end. If you grab the rod by the light end and swing the heavy end around, you'll find a lot more angular inertia than if you grab the rod by the heavy end and swing the light end around.

So, see if you can set up your integral to directly find the moment of inertia about the heavy end.

Last edited:
cupid.callin said:
the density you used is defined from the lighter end and you have to find I about heavier end.

you may take the dx element at distance x from heavy end and then use (10-x) in the equation of density

Is it a rule that I must start from heavy end?

Why it is wrong to start from light end?

athrun200 said:
Is it a rule that I must start from heavy end?

Why it is wrong to start from light end?

It's not a rule, and it's not wrong to start at the light end. You may start anywhere you wish! But note that the problem is asking for the moment of inertia about the heavy end. Therefore, in the the calculation of the moment of inertia, the radial distances of the mass elements must be with respect to the heavy end. And be sure that the density at that distance from the heavy end is the correct density for that position along the rod.

gneill said:
It's not a rule, and it's not wrong to start at the light end. You may start anywhere you wish! But note that the problem is asking for the moment of inertia about the heavy end. Therefore, in the the calculation of the moment of inertia, the radial distances of the mass elements must be with respect to the heavy end. And be sure that the density at that distance from the heavy end is the correct density for that position along the rod.

Oh! Sorry for my carelessness, I didn't read the question carefully.
I have solved part d, but part c is still very complicated.
attachment.php?attachmentid=37230&stc=1&d=1310822855.jpg

The result I obtained is so ugly that I don't want to write it out.
But I have check it and it is wrong.

So what's wrong with my work this time?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 422
Suppose you break the integral into two. The first runs from x=0 to x= xcm, the second from xcm to 10. The density function remains as 2x + 4 for any value of x, so leave it alone. What is the distance from xcm to the mass element in each case?

gneill said:
Suppose you break the integral into two. The first runs from x=0 to x= xcm, the second from xcm to 10. The density function remains as 2x + 4 for any value of x, so leave it alone. What is the distance from xcm to the mass element in each case?

I am so sorry that I don't understand.
Can you explain it more clearly?:shy:

athrun200 said:
I am so sorry that I don't understand.
Can you explain it more clearly?:shy:

attachment.php?attachmentid=37235&stc=1&d=1310826902.gif

x is the position along the rod from the LHS. For the region to the left of the center of mass, the distance from the center of mass to x is xcm - x. To the right of the center of mass, the distance is x - xcm. The density at point x remains [itex] \rho (x) = 2 x + 4[/itex], since here x is always with respect to the light end of the rod.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
gneill said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=37235&stc=1&d=1310826902.gif

x is the position along the rod from the LHS. For the region to the left of the center of mass, the distance from the center of mass to x is xcm - x. To the right of the center of mass, the distance is x - xcm. The density at point x remains [itex] \rho (x) = 2 x + 4[/itex], since here x is always with respect to the light end of the rod.

Do you mean this?
I have just finished half of the integral.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37236&stc=1&d=1310828027.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 421
Oh! It works and I get the answer!

But can you explain what's wrong with my method?
Why I can't set the center of mass as the orgin?

Work in #6 turns out to be correct, I just type it wrongly in my calculator.

By the way, how to generate the picture in #9?
What software are you using?

athrun200 said:
Oh! It works and I get the answer!

But can you explain what's wrong with my method?
Why I can't set the center of mass as the orgin?

You can set the center of mass at the origin if you translate the density equation accordingly for each section of the rod. Personally I tend to find it easier to leave the density function alone and work out the required distances as functions of the same x.

athrun200 said:
Work in #6 turns out to be correct, I just type it wrongly in my calculator.

By the way, how to generate the picture in #9?
What software are you using?

I use Visio to draw the pictures, then paste it into MS Paint to save it as a .gif type file.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each individual particle in the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then adding all of these values together.

3. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps to analyze and predict an object's rotational motion. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the strength and stability of structures.

4. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The two main factors that affect moment of inertia are the mass and distribution of mass of the object. Objects with larger masses or mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

5. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are related but different concepts. Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In other words, mass determines how difficult it is to accelerate an object, while moment of inertia determines how difficult it is to rotate an object.