Fossil and rock identification

In summary, people have found rocks with strips of wood and fossils from the Pennsylvanian period. There are also rocks with orange yam-like fossils.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A number of people have said they are interested in this topic.

Please posts any pictures, information or questions about rocks or fossils here.

I'll start off with some odd formations in rock here from the Pennsylvanian period (318.1 to 299.0 mya).

They appear to be strips of wood, but why do they always appear as strips, no depth? I can't find anything online. I'm dating them by the fossils found in the rock with them.

Attachments

• wood like objects 5.jpg
    wood like objects 5.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 867
  • wood like strips.jpg
    wood like strips.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 889
  • wood-like objects 3.jpg
    wood-like objects 3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Sorry, I need to upload these to a webhosting site and resize them.

Ok, more.

This is a block of wood in stone from the same era as above.

Attachments

• front of wood block 59.jpg
    front of wood block 59.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 827
  • back of block 58.jpg
    back of block 58.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 806
  • front of wood block 59 big.jpg
    front of wood block 59 big.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
Small fossils, including what appears to be a fern leaf I found in an ancient river bed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51090&d=1348292684.jpg

Attachments

• brachipods fern leaf.jpg
    brachipods fern leaf.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,405
  • 058 misc fossils w nickel.jpg
    058 misc fossils w nickel.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
Interesting thread!
So that is from the period when the variscean orogenesis took place?

DrDu said:
Interesting thread!
So that is from the period when the variscean orogenesis took place?
Yes, in Kansas , we had many periods at and below sea level, and we were below the equator at the time.

Just a note, I know pretty little about fossils, but I believe it is standard practice to put a "scale bar" into pictures. Rocks can be notoriously 'self-similar', meaning that it can be very difficult at times to know from pictures whether you are looking at an angular pebble, or an angular mountain top! That is, unless of course, there is a sense of scale. A simple coin, or other well known object usually suffices for fossils.

billiards said:
Just a note, I know pretty little about fossils, but I believe it is standard practice to put a "scale bar" into pictures. Rocks can be notoriously 'self-similar', meaning that it can be very difficult at times to know from pictures whether you are looking at an angular pebble, or an angular mountain top! That is, unless of course, there is a sense of scale. A simple coin, or other well known object usually suffices for fossils.
HEY! *I* know how big they are!

Good idea. Ok, so I just got back from risking my life hanging off the edge of a cliff while holding a camera just so I could place a nickel next to the odd wood-like strips. Ok, I wasn't hanging, but I did have to lean in an awkward position on the boulder and it IS on the edge of an overhang.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51108&d=1348334740.jpg

Attachments

• 050  odd wood like nickel e.jpg
    050 odd wood like nickel e.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 748
  • odd wood like strip.jpg
    odd wood like strip.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,418
Last edited:
These "strips" are everywhere, what are they?

Most of the fossils in this area contain simple bivalves from when this place was under sea-water, however I still have my anti-gravity fossil rock from the Alpha Centauri system.

floatingfossil_comt.jpg

Evo said:
HEY! *I* know how big they are!

Good idea. Ok, so I just got back from risking my life hanging off the edge of a cliff while holding a camera just so I could place a nickel next to the odd wood-like strips. Ok, I wasn't hanging, but I did have to lean in an awkward position on the boulder and it IS on the edge of an overhang.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51108&d=1348334740.jpg

*Much* better. :smile:

I still don't know what they are though :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is a real shame, what a nice brachiopod specimen it would have been.

Attachments

• 044 brachiopod nickel e.jpg
    044 brachiopod nickel e.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 791
turbo said:
Most of the fossils in this area contain simple bivalves from when this place was under sea-water, however I still have my anti-gravity fossil rock from the Alpha Centauri system.

floatingfossil_comt.jpg
I love your "anti-grav" rock!

Evo said:
A number of people have said they are interested in this topic.

Please posts any pictures, information or questions about rocks or fossils here.

I'll start off with some odd formations in rock here from the Pennsylvanian period (318.1 to 299.0 mya).

They appear to be strips of wood, but why do they always appear as strips, no depth? I can't find anything online. I'm dating them by the fossils found in the rock with them.

Do you think they look like these Calamites?

Some rocks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51113&d=1348348723.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=51115&d=1348349649.jpg

Attachments

• 045 rock e.jpg
    045 rock e.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 048 rock e.jpg
    048 rock e.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,424
Last edited:
austinuni said:
Do you think they look like these Calamites?
That's it! Thank you!

This is what I call "swimming yams". Any guesses?

Attachments

• swimming yams.jpg
    swimming yams.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 713
Evo said:
That's it! Thank you!

That's exciting! You gave a lot of good information to help track it down. Any more info on the swimming yams?

austinuni said:
That's exciting! You gave a lot of good information to help track it down. Any more info on the swimming yams?
Notice the empty indentations? That's where yams fell out.

Normally, the fossils are the usual hard white substance. But I have found a large number of rocks recently where the fossils are of a soft, crumbly orange substance. These are all from this area, both the white and the orange. I'm wondering what the orange yam like fossils could be.

Here's an orange fossil of possibly a crinoid?

Attachments

• 060 crinoid maybe.jpg
    060 crinoid maybe.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 719
Can anyone identify this type of rock and what caused the pits?

Attachments

• 071 pitted rock e.jpg
    071 pitted rock e.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,312
Evo said:

A guess, maybe those are calcite etch pits

Calcite (if it's that) will dissolve slowly in rain water (chemical weathering) which is slightly acid (due to carbonic acid - dissolved carbon dioxide) and little dents may grow out to pits. There is not a lot of literature about it.

http://www.limestone-pavements.org.uk/geology.html
http://www.essc.psu.edu/~brantley/publications/dislocations.pdf[/URL]

Evo said:

A coral may be?

Thanks, both of you. I've been reading that similar holes are formed in rocks when iron ore they contained dissolved. Iron might also explain the reddish discoloration on the rock surface. I'm still searching, the rock is heavy, solid, and very hard, so far, I've ruled out calcite.

I have more rocks I need to post so please keep the ideas coming.

Okay. I finally bought a "point and shoot". Here's my first two photos.

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/3152/arrowheads1.jpg [Broken]

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/2004/arrowheads2.jpg [Broken]

All of these where found in Arkansas with the exception of the middle one on the bottom row of the first picture, which was found in Kansas.

Very nice dl!

Evo said:

This looks like a textbook example of 'tafoni' weathering in rocks. This type of weathering pattern occurs in 'case hardened' rock where the hardened outer surface is somewhat more reisitant to weathering than the softer interior. Nice example.

chemisttree said:
This looks like a textbook example of 'tafoni' weathering in rocks. This type of weathering pattern occurs in 'case hardened' rock where the hardened outer surface is somewhat more reisitant to weathering than the softer interior. Nice example.
Oooh. Now I will have to photograph the huge rock slabs that are pockmarked, I'll post some tomorrow, it's getting dark.

Evo,
You taking a geology course? I sure hope we're not doing your homework for you.:biggrin:

chemisttree said:
Evo,
You taking a geology course? I sure hope we're not doing your homework for you.:biggrin:
LOL! No, I've always had a love of rocks and fossils and now find myself sitting on top of an enormous fossil bed.

This gives you an idea of the density of the fossil layers.

Attachments

• fossils tons 1.jpg
    fossils tons 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 537
  • fossils tons.jpg
    fossils tons.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 537
  • 021 fossils.jpg
    021 fossils.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
Evo said:
and now find myself sitting on top of an enormous fossil bed.

Lucky!

I have 4 days off work, (Thurs - Sun) so I will either a/ forget this thread completely, or b/ remember and post some pictures. Is it okay to post pictures of collections in this thread even though it is called "fossil and rock IDENTIFICATION"? Or should I use the old thread?

Evo, your swimming yams reminds me of one day at the ocean. There was a walkway cut through a small sand dune, and part of the dune also had collapsed to show the interior. Although it was sand, there were these orange clam looking blobs in the sand same as your picture. I always wondered how you could get orange blobs of sand mixed with normal sand. Probably completely different, but they look the same as your picture, none the less.

Ms Music said:
Lucky!

I have 4 days off work, (Thurs - Sun) so I will either a/ forget this thread completely, or b/ remember and post some pictures. Is it okay to post pictures of collections in this thread even though it is called "fossil and rock IDENTIFICATION"? Or should I use the old thread?
Collections are definitely ok.

Evo, your swimming yams reminds me of one day at the ocean. There was a walkway cut through a small sand dune, and part of the dune also had collapsed to show the interior. Although it was sand, there were these orange clam looking blobs in the sand same as your picture. I always wondered how you could get orange blobs of sand mixed with normal sand. Probably completely different, but they look the same as your picture, none the less.
I wonder what they are?

chemisttree said:

That is not "tafoni" weathering. I agree with the earlier respondent that it is some kind of cnidarian. Take a hammer and give it a good whack... let us see a fresh surface.

A ventral and a dorsal of an asaphid trilobite(Isotelus gigas).
Ordovician of Kentucky
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30726183@N05/5423389797/

Last edited:
<h2>What is the difference between a fossil and a rock?</h2><p>A fossil is the preserved remains or impression of a living organism from a past geological age. It is formed through a process called fossilization, where minerals replace the original organic material. A rock, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring solid substance composed of one or more minerals. Rocks do not contain any organic material and are formed through various geological processes.</p><h2>How do scientists identify fossils and rocks?</h2><p>Scientists use a variety of methods to identify fossils and rocks. These methods include visual examination, chemical analysis, and microscopic analysis. They may also use specialized tools such as microscopes and x-rays to examine the physical and chemical properties of the sample.</p><h2>What are the different types of fossils?</h2><p>There are several types of fossils, including body fossils, trace fossils, and molecular fossils. Body fossils are the preserved remains of an organism, such as bones, shells, or teeth. Trace fossils are evidence of an organism's activity, such as footprints or burrows. Molecular fossils are the preserved organic molecules of an organism, such as DNA or proteins.</p><h2>How do scientists determine the age of fossils and rocks?</h2><p>Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of fossils and rocks. These methods include radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements, and relative dating, which compares the placement of fossils and rocks in different layers of sediment. Scientists may also use index fossils, which are fossils that are known to have lived during a specific time period, to help determine the age of a sample.</p><h2>Why is the study of fossils and rocks important?</h2><p>The study of fossils and rocks is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the history of life on Earth and how different species have evolved over time. It also provides information about past environments and how they have changed. Additionally, the study of fossils and rocks can help us predict future changes in the Earth's climate and ecosystems. Finally, fossils and rocks are important for industries such as oil and gas exploration, as they can provide valuable information about the location and composition of natural resources.</p>

What is the difference between a fossil and a rock?

A fossil is the preserved remains or impression of a living organism from a past geological age. It is formed through a process called fossilization, where minerals replace the original organic material. A rock, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring solid substance composed of one or more minerals. Rocks do not contain any organic material and are formed through various geological processes.

How do scientists identify fossils and rocks?

Scientists use a variety of methods to identify fossils and rocks. These methods include visual examination, chemical analysis, and microscopic analysis. They may also use specialized tools such as microscopes and x-rays to examine the physical and chemical properties of the sample.

What are the different types of fossils?

There are several types of fossils, including body fossils, trace fossils, and molecular fossils. Body fossils are the preserved remains of an organism, such as bones, shells, or teeth. Trace fossils are evidence of an organism's activity, such as footprints or burrows. Molecular fossils are the preserved organic molecules of an organism, such as DNA or proteins.

How do scientists determine the age of fossils and rocks?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of fossils and rocks. These methods include radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements, and relative dating, which compares the placement of fossils and rocks in different layers of sediment. Scientists may also use index fossils, which are fossils that are known to have lived during a specific time period, to help determine the age of a sample.

Why is the study of fossils and rocks important?

The study of fossils and rocks is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the history of life on Earth and how different species have evolved over time. It also provides information about past environments and how they have changed. Additionally, the study of fossils and rocks can help us predict future changes in the Earth's climate and ecosystems. Finally, fossils and rocks are important for industries such as oil and gas exploration, as they can provide valuable information about the location and composition of natural resources.