How to Verify the Equation: pi^2/8 = Sum (1/(2n+1)^2) without Prefix?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of proving the equation \frac{\pi^2}{6}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2}, including using Fourier coefficients and Parseval's theorem. The conversation also touches on the choice of f(x) for the calculation and the use of different methods in solving the equation.
bomba923
How does
infinity
Sum (n^(-2)=(pi^2)/6
n=1

Please tell me if this has been posted before (afraid :redface: )
(in that case, i'll see the other post)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take f(x)=x. Then the Fourier coeffcients of f are [itex]a_n=0[/itex] and [itex]b_n=\frac{2}{n}(-1)^{n+1}[/itex]. Parseval's theorem says that:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi f^2(x)\:dx=\frac{a_0^2}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty\left(a_k^2+b_k^2)[/tex]

Since the [itex]a_n[/itex] terms are all zero, this reduces to:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi x^2\:dx=4\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

The integral is easy enough to solve, and the left hand side reduces to [itex]2\pi^2/3[/itex]. Dividing both sides by four gives us:

[tex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

I see clearly now!--thanks

(Will no one answer my "digit-factorial question" thread :frown: )

Last edited:
And let's not forget Euler's original method.Combining the series he found for [itex] \frac{\sin x}{x} [/itex] and the one from Taylor expansion,he was able to prove it...

Daniel.

And there's another way:

[tex]\int\int\frac{1}{1-xy}dxdy[/tex]

Evalutate that as x and y both go from 0 to 1. Do it using a substitution, and then do it by replacing the fraction inside with its series expansion and ignore the convergence issues to rearrange sum and integral.

So this is parsevals theorem?

[tex] \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi f^2(x)\:dx=\frac{a_0^2}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty\left( a_k^2+b_k^2) [/tex]

[tex]?[/tex]

SpaceDomain said:
So this is parsevals theorem?

[tex] \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi f^2(x)\:dx=\frac{a_0^2}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty\left( a_k^2+b_k^2) [/tex]

[tex]?[/tex]
How about this?

[tex] \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^\pi f^2(x)\:dx=\frac{a_0^2}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^\infty( a_k^2+b_k^2) [/tex]

hello! i am new to this forum and it looks like a very nice place!

sorry for my english, i hope everyone can understand it..

sorry for spamming in this thread but it looks like it is the most close to what i need.

i think i understood the answer master_coda gave but i don't understand why he choose f(x)=x..

for instance in my exercise i am asked to verify this equation

[tex]\frac{\pi^2}{8}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2}[/tex]

what f(x) should i choose for the calculation?

mstation said:
hello! i am new to this forum and it looks like a very nice place!

sorry for my english, i hope everyone can understand it..

sorry for spamming in this thread but it looks like it is the most close to what i need.

i think i understood the answer master_coda gave but i don't understand why he choose f(x)=x..

for instance in my exercise i am asked to verify this equation

[tex]\frac{\pi^2}{8}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2}[/tex]

what f(x) should i choose for the calculation?

I'm answering this, in spite of being an intent of "kidnapping" a thread because

(1) it is, perhaps unwillingly, very close to the OP, and more important

(2) This is a newcomer so he/she doesn't know (but now you do!).

Check the following:

$$\frac{\pi^2}{8}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2n+1)^2}\Longleftrightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$$

DonAntonio

1. What is convergence to pi^2/6?

Convergence to pi^2/6 is a mathematical concept that refers to the phenomenon where a specific sequence of numbers, when added together, approaches the value of pi squared divided by 6. This value is approximately equal to 1.64493.

2. How is convergence to pi^2/6 calculated?

The calculation of convergence to pi^2/6 involves adding together a specific sequence of numbers, in this case 1/(n^2), where n is the number of terms in the sequence. As n approaches infinity, the sum of these terms approaches the value of pi^2/6.

3. What is the significance of pi^2/6 in convergence?

The value of pi^2/6 is significant in convergence because it serves as a limit for the sum of the sequence 1/(n^2). This means that no matter how many terms are added, the sum will never exceed pi^2/6, making it a useful value for mathematical calculations.

4. Can convergence to pi^2/6 be visualized?

Yes, convergence to pi^2/6 can be visualized through a graph where the x-axis represents the number of terms in the sequence and the y-axis represents the sum of those terms. As the number of terms increases, the graph approaches the value of pi^2/6 on the y-axis.

5. What are some real-life applications of convergence to pi^2/6?

Convergence to pi^2/6 has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to approximate the value of pi, calculate the area under certain curves, and improve the efficiency of numerical calculations. It also has implications in areas such as signal processing, where it is used for Fourier analysis and signal reconstruction.