Lorentz Transformations in xy & xyz Directions | Pat

In summary, the transformation equations would change depending on the direction the frames were moving in.
patapat
So I'm looking at some Lorentz transformation equations and it says
x'=[tex]\gamma[/tex](x-vt)
t'=[tex]\gamma[/tex](t-vx/c[tex]^{2}[/tex])
y'=y
z'=z

I'm assuming the values for y', y, z' and z only hold true when the inertial frames of S and S' are moving at a relative velocity in the x-direction. With this being said, what would the transformations be if the inertial frames were in an xy or xyz direction? Thanks in advance.

-Pat

Physics news on Phys.org
lorentz transformation plane motion

patapat said:
y'=y
z'=z

I'm assuming the values for y', y, z' and z only hold true when the inertial frames of S and S' are moving at a relative velocity in the x-direction. With this being said, what would the transformations be if the inertial frames were in an xy or xyz direction? Thanks in advance.

-Pat
As far as I know the situation is known as plane motion. Your question is answered in

Relativistic motion in a plane
Byron L. Coulter
Am. J. Phys. 48, 633 (1980) Full Text: [ PDF (486 kB) GZipped PS Order ]
I think it can be simplified.

patapat said:
y'=y
z'=z

-Pat

If [itex] (\mathbf{r},t) [/itex] are space-time coordinates of an event in the reference frame O, and the reference frame O' moves with velocity [itex] \mathbf{v} = c \vec{\theta} \theta^{-1} \tanh \theta [/itex] with respect to O, then space-time coordinates [itex] (\mathbf{r}',t') [/itex] of the same event in O' can be obtained by formulas

[tex] \mathbf{r}' = \mathbf{r} + \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta}(\mathbf{r} \cdot \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta}) (\cosh \theta - 1) - \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta} ct \sinh \theta [/tex]

[tex] t' = t \cosh \theta - (\mathbf{r} \cdot \frac{\vec{\theta}}{\theta}) \frac{\sinh \theta}{c} [/tex]

These formulas are derived by the same procedure as momentum-energy Lorentz transformations (see eq. (4.2) - (4.3) in http://www.arxiv.org/physics/0504062 )

Eugene.

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]t'=\gamma(t-{\vec r}\cdot{\vec v}/c^2)[/tex]

Last edited:
The previous reply is three equations, I couldn't get Latex to do line by line.
r_\parallel and r_\perp are parallel and perp to v.

And if you know matrix multiplication,
[tex]B = \begin{pmatrix} \gamma & -\gamma \beta_1 & -\gamma \beta_2 & -\gamma \beta_3 \\
-\gamma \beta_1 & 1 + \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_3}{\beta^2} \\
-\gamma \beta_2 & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_2}{\beta^2} & 1+\frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_2^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_2\beta_3}{\beta^2} \\
-\gamma \beta_3 & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_1\beta_3}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_2\beta_3}{\beta^2} & 1 + \frac{(\gamma - 1)\beta_3^2}{\beta^2}
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
where [itex]\beta = (\beta_1, \beta_2, \beta_3)[/itex] is a unit vector in the direction of the relative velocity, and
[itex]x' = B x[/itex] for [itex]x = (c t, x, y, z)[/itex] and similar for the transformed system [itex]x'[/itex].

Source: Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, chapter 11.7

I had a feeling there was no simple answer, thanks guys.

What are Lorentz Transformations in xy & xyz Directions?

Lorentz Transformations refer to a set of equations used in special relativity to describe how the measurements of space and time change for an observer in one inertial frame of reference when compared to another observer in a different inertial frame of reference.

What is the difference between xy and xyz Directions in Lorentz Transformations?

XY directions in Lorentz Transformations refer to the measurement of space in a two-dimensional plane, while the XYZ directions refer to the measurement of space in a three-dimensional space. XYZ directions also take into account the concept of time in the equations.

What is the significance of Lorentz Transformations in physics?

Lorentz Transformations are crucial in understanding the effects of relativity in physics, specifically in the concept of space and time. They help explain how measurements of space and time can vary for observers in different frames of reference.

How do Lorentz Transformations affect the measurements of space and time?

Lorentz Transformations introduce the concept of time dilation and length contraction, which means that the measurements of space and time can vary for observers in different frames of reference. This is due to the constant speed of light and the relative motion between observers.

What are some applications of Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations have various applications in modern physics, including in the fields of astronomy, particle physics, and cosmology. They are also used in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators, which heavily rely on the principles of relativity.