Why Is My Calculation of Initial Velocity Incorrect in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the problem involved a projectile being fired at an angle of 28.0 degrees above the horizontal from a height of 46.0m and striking the ground with a speed of 1.95 times the initial velocity. After using the equation for vertical motion and making an assumption about the angle of impact, the correct initial velocity was found to be 17.94m/s. The conservation of energy equation was used to solve the problem.
jennypear
projectile is fired w/an angle of 28.0degrees above the horizontal and from height 46.0m agove the ground. the projectile strikes ground w/a speed of 1.95xVo. Find Vo

I started using the eqution
(Vfy)^2=(Voy)^2+2*Ay*(delta Y)

Voy=Vosin(theta)=.47Vo
Vfy=1.954*Vosin(theta)=.92Vo

(.92Vo)^2=(.47Vo)^2+(2*-9.8*-46)
Vo=37.9

but my answer is wrong and I can't think of another way to answer the problem...Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Vo? Is it the velocity of projection, or, is it just a constant?

Last edited:
There's no guarantee that the projectile hits the ground at the same angle as it was launched!

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
There's no guarantee that the projectile hits the ground at the same angle as it was launched!

However, for this problem, I think we should assume that the projectile hits the ground at the same angle as it was launched...

Sridhar

Why should that be assumed?

cookiemonster

Not only are you not supposed to make that assumption, it is wrong! The projectile is traveling in a parabola...

You need to use the conservation of energy equation:

[tex]0 = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_p + \Delta E_k[/tex]
[tex]0 = mg(0 - h) + \frac{1}{2}m(v_f^2 - v_0^2)[/tex]
[tex]2gh = (1.95v_0)^2 - v_0^2 = 2.8025v_0^2[/tex]

The initial velocity is 17.94m/s (for g = 9.8m/s2).

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air as it is affected by gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated by using the equation: v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the projectile is launched.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, mass of the object, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How can I calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile physics?

Horizontal motion refers to the motion of a projectile along the x-axis, while vertical motion refers to the motion along the y-axis. In projectile physics, these two motions are independent of each other and are affected by different factors.