Solved: Pure vs Physical Dipole | Griffith's Book

• Thread starter astrosona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipole
In summary, the difference between a physical and a pure dipole is that a physical dipole has quadrupole moments, while a pure dipole does not.
astrosona
[SOLVED] Pure/Physical Dipole?

Hi,

In the Griffith's book page 154 is two pictures showing pure and physical dipoles. It also writes about these in previous pages but i do not get the point! i mean what is the big deal in the difference between them? Why should Griffith's pay this much attention on it? is there a physical difference between them? actually i see no difference at all! pure is a kind of physical dipole! i do not why even Griffith's names them differently? why does Griffith's keep mentioning this and makes a big deal out of it?

Ok, let's say there is Pure dipole in some where and we are going to calculate the force exerting to a charge q in some where else, so what would have make the difference if it was a physical dipole instead of the pure dipole?

I am sure i am not getting some thing in it somewhere...

please release me.!

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK.cooooooooool, i found it myself!

In page 60 Nayfeh it option 2 it says the Dipole potential from multiple expansions is only correct when we have [tex]\delta[/tex]/r [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0 and it is not correct when we have [tex]\delta[/tex]/r ~1

cooooool, so actually the pure dipole works for good estimation of the multiple expansions method and we have to be careful for the physical dipoles... i can see we have to treat the physical dipoles as two monopole when we are enough close to them..

any commands?

Last edited:
i guess this is a solved one! yes?

Yes. The only terms in the spherical harmonic expansion (aka multipole expansion) of the electrical potential for a pure dipole are the [itex]C_1^m[/itex] terms - the dipole terms. A pure dipole is called "pure" is because it only has a dipole moment. A physical dipole will have quadrupole moments, etc. The spherical harmonic expansion of the potential has an infinite number of non-zero terms.

oh, i see. thank you...

1. What is a pure dipole?

A pure dipole is a molecule or atom that has a separation of positive and negative charges, known as a dipole moment. This separation occurs due to differences in electronegativity between the atoms within the molecule or atom.

2. What is a physical dipole?

A physical dipole is a molecule or atom that has a separation of charges due to its physical orientation. This means that the charges are not caused by differences in electronegativity, but rather the arrangement of the atoms within the molecule or atom.

3. What is the difference between a pure dipole and a physical dipole?

The main difference between a pure dipole and a physical dipole is their underlying cause of charge separation. Pure dipoles are caused by differences in electronegativity, while physical dipoles are caused by physical orientation.

4. How does Griffith's book address the concept of pure vs physical dipoles?

Griffith's book, "Introduction to Electrodynamics", discusses the concept of pure and physical dipoles in the context of electrostatics and electromagnetism. It explains the differences between the two types of dipoles and their significance in various physical phenomena.

5. Can molecules or atoms have both pure and physical dipoles?

Yes, molecules or atoms can have both pure and physical dipoles. For example, water molecules have both a pure dipole moment due to differences in electronegativity between the oxygen and hydrogen atoms, and a physical dipole moment due to the bent shape of the molecule. This allows water to exhibit unique properties, such as surface tension and the ability to dissolve polar substances.