Suppose that{u1,u2, ,um} are non-zero pairwise orthogonal vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the statement that the number of non-zero pairwise orthogonal vectors in a subspace W of dimension n is less than or equal to n. The conversation suggests starting with a simple example, such as R^2, and generalizing from there. It also mentions the importance of understanding the relationship between linear independence and orthogonality.
squenshl
I need some direction. I don't have a clue where to start.
Suppose that{u1,u2,...,um} are non-zero pairwise orthogonal vectors (i.e., uj.ui=0 if i doesnt=j) of a subspace W of dimension n. Show that m<=n.

Physics news on Phys.org

I assume by dot you mean dot product / inner product? It helps if you are really clear about your notation -- eg is W a vector space, ring, module, etc.

Second, in general, one fruitful way to start proofs like this is to take a simple example which you understand well and look at why your theorem is true or false. So examine, say, R^2 and see why any pairwise orthogonal set must be smaller than the dimension of the subspace it is in. One example set might be the usual basis.

Third, generalize.

Another way to start is to think about what is special about a vector space of size N? You should know that N implies several things -- ie the number of elements in a basis, the largest possible linearly independent set, isomorphism to F^n where F is your field, etc.

Thanks that helps alot.
So how would I start my notation to my particular problem and do it.

Huh? If you want to say in words what you're having trouble expressing in a mathematical way, I'll help, but you need to put in the work to solve this.

Think about the interaction between linear independence and orthogonality.

Related to Suppose that{u1,u2, ,um} are non-zero pairwise orthogonal vectors

1. What does it mean for vectors to be pairwise orthogonal?

Pairwise orthogonal vectors are vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning they form a 90-degree angle. This also implies that the dot product of any two of these vectors is equal to 0.

2. Can the number of vectors in the set {u1, u2, ..., um} be greater than 3?

Yes, the number of vectors in the set can be greater than 3. As long as all the vectors in the set are pairwise orthogonal to each other, the number of vectors can be any positive integer.

3. How can we prove that a set of vectors is pairwise orthogonal?

To prove that a set of vectors is pairwise orthogonal, we can use the dot product of any two vectors in the set. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the vectors are perpendicular and therefore pairwise orthogonal.

4. Is it possible for a set of pairwise orthogonal vectors to be linearly dependent?

Yes, it is possible for a set of pairwise orthogonal vectors to be linearly dependent. This can happen if one or more of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

5. What are some real-world applications of pairwise orthogonal vectors?

Pairwise orthogonal vectors have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in coordinate systems, signal processing, and data compression, among others. For example, in physics, orthogonal vectors are used to represent forces acting on an object, and in computer graphics, they are used to represent transformations in 3D space.