Example of Straw Man Argument: Find Here

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, a straw man argument involves creating a caricature of one's opponent and presenting weak arguments that are easily refuted. This allows the person making the argument to seem like they have defeated their opponent without truly engaging with their real arguments. Examples of straw man arguments can often be found in political speeches and online debates. It is important to be aware of this fallacy and strive to be charitable in interpreting an opponent's argument, even if you disagree with it. Additionally, many people may construct straw men accidentally, as they may not be fully informed on the topic at hand.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Could someone give me an example of a straw man argument, or point me to a thread where I could find this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A straw man is a caricature of ones opponent you make up and give weak arguments that you can easily refute, so you can seem to beat him without really engaging his real arguments. You can find plenty of examples in the political speeches this year.

For example:

"Evolution can't be real. It says that new species happen from random mutations in DNA. It's like smashing up a Timex watch into tiny bits, throwing it into the dryer, and expecting a Casio watch to come out."

- Warren

ahhh.. got it! Thanks a bunch!

Math Is Hard said:
Could someone point me to a thread where I could find this?

Pretty much every thread with arguments in it has at least one of these.

chroot said:
For example:

"Evolution can't be real. It says that new species happen from random mutations in DNA. It's like smashing up a Timex watch into tiny bits, throwing it into the dryer, and expecting a Casio watch to come out."

- Warren

ooohhhww... that just made me shiver.. I've dealt with people like that... they can't explain resistent bacteria, but they can sure as hell make a strawman argument...
the worst and most childish was "so you're saying you're a monkey?"

red herrings

One thing that I found confusing was that my book describes the strawman fallacy as a member of the category "fallacy of missing the point". On a website I found, the strawman fallacy was described as a type of "red herring" and then it listed several other fallacies that qualified for the "red herring" category. My teacher said that "red herring" arguments were all about distraction, but oddly my book doesn't say anything about red herrings at all - anybody want to comment on that type?

Math Is Hard said:
Could someone give me an example of a straw man argument, or point me to a thread where I could find this?

Thanks!

Just look up any post by Geistkiesel or Ram1024. :biggrin:

Tom Mattson said:

hee hee... I have seen a few of those. Quite a few of them do seem to fall under that "Fallacy of Missing the Point" group. (or ignoring the point)

Tom Mattson said:

Now that's just a cheap shot. I didn't want to give any actual names.

loseyourname said:
Now that's just a cheap shot. I didn't want to give any actual names.

No, using a straw man argument is a cheap shot. Naming names is just being truthful.

Tom Mattson said:
No, using a straw man argument is a cheap shot.

Very true. The specific term for creating a strawman or other distraction from the original argument (according to my text) is "being uncharitable".
To quote my professor: "If you really care about the truth, put the most charitable spin on the argument and help the presenter out. Interpret the author of the argument charitably, even if you disagree."

Another piece of advice he gives is "You should be concerned about your reasoning when someone whose opinion you respect disagrees with you. Better give it more analysis."

Math Is Hard said:
Very true. The specific term for creating a strawman or other distraction from the original argument (according to my text) is "being uncharitable".
To quote my professor: "If you really care about the truth, put the most charitable spin on the argument and help the presenter out. Interpret the author of the argument charitably, even if you disagree."

That sounds a lot like "logical charity" (which (I think) was discussed in that thread Tom made, on Logic, as well as a few other threads on PF2). As I see it, if you can't defeat the best-stated most accurate portrayal of your opponents position, then you need to re-examine just how strong your case is against that opponent.

I've also noticed that strawmen are often constructed by accident (i.e. the proponent of the argument doesn't realize that that's what it amounts to). So, while they do serve as red herrings, and are sometimes highly destructive to logical debate, one should always keep in mind that the one proposing the strawman is usually doing so by mistake.

Mentat said:
That sounds a lot like "logical charity" (which (I think) was discussed in that thread Tom made, on Logic, as well as a few other threads on PF2). As I see it, if you can't defeat the best-stated most accurate portrayal of your opponents position, then you need to re-examine just how strong your case is against that opponent.

I've also noticed that strawmen are often constructed by accident (i.e. the proponent of the argument doesn't realize that that's what it amounts to). So, while they do serve as red herrings, and are sometimes highly destructive to logical debate, one should always keep in mind that the one proposing the strawman is usually doing so by mistake.

I should clarify. Some people construct strawmen on purpose, in order to distract the opponent, or cloud the issue. Most of the time, in my own (highly limited) experience, this has not been the case. Instead, the proponent really believed they had a valid argument.

I agree Mentat -- what you said of strawmen being accidental is in fact true of most logical fallacies. The people who commit them rarely recognize that they are doing it.

Just to make a point, think about relativity crackpots. These people are quite gifted at creating strawmen. They read a popular book, written for a lay person, and use it to create their own personal strawman version of relativity. They don't mean to do it; it's just that reading a popular book cannot teach you the innards of relativity theory well enough to truly understand it. These people recognize many flaws in their strawman, but are still unaware it's a strawman. The book does not contain enough information for them to discern the differences between real relativity theory and their strawman, so they continue to believe in their strawman even after a careful reading. After some time for contemplation, the arguments solidify, they become sure they are correct and relativity is flawed. Then they post on physicsforums.com for a few months and try to convince everyone that their strawman is an accurate picture of relativity. Then they get banned.

- Warren

Sometimes I wonder about the veracity of their beliefs. At some point, you have to look your ideas in the face and evaluate them. Willfull ignorance may mean the straw-man itself is unintentional, but the cracpotism becomes conscious.

What is a straw man argument?

A straw man argument is a type of fallacious argument where a person misrepresents their opponent's argument in a weaker or distorted form, making it easier to attack and refute. This tactic is often used to distract from the main argument and discredit the opponent.

How is a straw man argument used in the example "Example of Straw Man Argument: Find Here"?

In this example, the person being accused of using a straw man argument is misrepresented as saying that all arguments are straw man arguments. This is a distorted version of their actual argument, which was that the use of straw man arguments is a common fallacy.

What is the purpose of using a straw man argument?

The purpose of using a straw man argument is to weaken the opponent's argument by misrepresenting it and making it easier to attack. It allows the person using the straw man to appear to have successfully refuted their opponent's argument, even though they are actually attacking a distorted version of it.

How can one identify a straw man argument?

A straw man argument can be identified by recognizing that the opponent's argument has been misrepresented in a way that makes it easier to attack. It often involves exaggerating or oversimplifying the opponent's argument, or focusing on a minor point instead of the main argument.

Why is it important to avoid using straw man arguments?

Using straw man arguments can be harmful to productive and respectful discourse. It can lead to misunderstandings and misrepresentations of others' arguments, and can create a hostile and unproductive environment for discussion. It is important to accurately represent and address your opponent's arguments in order to have a fair and fruitful debate.