Derivative of dirac delta function

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a derivative for the delta function, but is having difficulty doing so.
coaxmetal

Homework Statement

show

[tex]x\frac{d}{dx}\delta(x)=-\delta)(x)[/tex]

using the gaussian delta sequence ([tex]\delta_n[/tex]) and treating [tex]\delta(x)[/tex] and its derivative as in eq. 1.151.

Homework Equations

the gaussian delta sequence given in the book is
[tex]\delta_n=\frac{n}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-n^2x^2}[/tex]

and eq 1.151 is just part of the definition of the delta function:
[tex]f(0)=\displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\delta(x)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

thus far, I have tried substitution the derivative of [tex]\delta_n(x)[/tex] for the derivative of the delta function, and then taking the limit as n goes to infinity, but that got me nowhere. I have also tried integrating both sides to see where it got me, but that was nowhere useful. The problem is I just don't understand how the derivative of the delta function works on its own.

Physics news on Phys.org
The delta function is actually a distribution, and is not differentiable in the classical sense. In order to consider such differentiation, we have to revert to generalized derivatives. This is done by assuming a certain level of differentiability on f and some vanishing conditions.

If f is a smooth function with compact support on a set D, the generalized derivative v' of a distribution v is any function w such that
[tex] \int_D v' f dx = - \int_D w f' dx [/tex]
Since the delta function is a distribution, it only truly makes sense to characterize its derivative under integration.

You may want to take a look at the following two pdfs:

This link talks about generalized derivatives
http://links.uwaterloo.ca/amath731docs/sobolev.pdf

This link talks about the Dirac delta distribution
http://links.uwaterloo.ca/amath731docs/delta.pdf

Okay, I realize that what I gave you may not be entirely helpful since you have to use the Gaussian sequence.

We know that
[tex] \displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty} \delta_n = \delta [/itex]
and that it only makes sense to consider the delta function under the integral. So try evaluating
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \int_{-\infty}^\infty x \frac{d}{dx} \delta_n \ dx [/itex]
then show that the value you get is equivalent to
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty -\delta(x) \ dx [/tex]

your first answer, and the fact that it only makes sense under integration, actually got me doing just what you suggested, so thanks. THanks for the links too, I was looking for good resources on the delta function. I think I have it now.

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has an infinite value. It is often used in physics and engineering to model point-like interactions or impulses.

2. Why is the derivative of the Dirac Delta function considered a distribution?

The derivative of the Dirac Delta function is not a traditional function, but rather a distribution. This is because it does not have a well-defined value at every point, but rather its value is concentrated at a single point. As a result, it is better understood as a distribution or generalized function.

3. How is the Dirac Delta function used in calculus?

The Dirac Delta function is often used in calculus to represent a point charge or impulse. It can be used to evaluate integrals and solve differential equations involving point-like interactions.

4. Can the derivative of the Dirac Delta function be calculated using traditional methods?

No, the derivative of the Dirac Delta function cannot be calculated using traditional methods because it is not a traditional function. Instead, it is defined using limits and properties of distributions.

5. What is the relationship between the Dirac Delta function and the Heaviside step function?

The Heaviside step function, also known as the unit step function, is closely related to the Dirac Delta function. It can be defined as the integral of the Dirac Delta function, and it is often used to model a sudden change or step in a system. The two functions are often used together in solving differential equations involving impulses.