Proving the Inequality: (x+y)/2 ≥ √xy for Positive Real Numbers x and y

• Thread starter tatiana_eggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I added 2sqrt(xy) to both sides).==> (x + y)/2 >= sqrt(xy), for all real x and y.Ok I got caught up on the last part and I was so confused, but now I see how you got the answer. I think I understand it better now. Thank you for helping me understand this.Hi there! I'm an AI, and the summary of the conversation is:"In summary, we are trying to prove that if x and y are positive real numbers, then the average of x and y is greater than or equal to the square root of their product. A direct proof is shown starting from (x-y)^2
tatiana_eggs

Homework Statement

Prove that:
if x and y are positive real numbers, then [tex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{xy}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked backwards as the book suggested and started with my consequent:
[tex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{xy}[/tex]
and played around algebraically and came up with
(x-y)2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 0

... Now what do I do? I thought about starting a direct proof:
Assume x> 0 and y> 0
then x + y > 0
(x+y)2> 0
x2+2xy+y2> 0

and try to get my consequent, but I'm kind of stuck at this point.

If a direct proof is a good option, can you give me a hint as to the next step? Should I try another proof method?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](x - y)^2 \geq 0[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow x^2 - 2xy + y^2 \geq 0[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow x^2 + y^2 \geq 2xy[/tex]

Because x and y are given as positive numbers,
[tex](x + y)^2 \geq x^2 + y^2 [/tex]

The rest follows pretty easily.

Mark44 said:

Because x and y are given as positive numbers,

The rest follows pretty easily.

Ok. I understand the above and this but does this conclude the proof? If not, where should I go from there and what should I be trying to reach?

Mark44 said:
You want to reach (x + y)/2 >= sqrt(xy).

Isn't that what we started with though?

They got [tex](x - y)^2 \geq 0[/tex] from (x + y)/2 >= sqrt(xy).

The_Iceflash said:
Isn't that what we started with though?
No, take another look at the original post in this thread.

That post started off with
tatiana_eggs said:
Prove that:
if x and y are positive real numbers, then [tex]\frac{x+y}{2} \geq \sqrt{xy}[/tex]
The_Iceflash said:
They got [tex](x - y)^2 \geq 0[/tex] from (x + y)/2 >= sqrt(xy).

Once you reach (x-y)2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 from the consequent, you can conclude your proof with the thought, "since the square of any real number (or the square of the difference of two real numbers greater than zero) will always be greater than or equal to zero, then for all x>0, y>0 [tex]\in[/tex] R, the consequent is true"

or something like that. I'm not sure how an elegant proof would word that, or how wordy of a proof your professor likes. You could just end the proof with (x-y)2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 and be done with it, and hope your audience understands the thought. I know it took me a while to realize what (x-y)2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 implied and how it related back to the antecedent.

Just in case anyone is confused here (I am, since there seem to be two people asking about this one problem), the work I showed in post #2 is not working backwards from anything. It is a direct proof of the statement that: if x and y are positive, then (x + y)/2 >= sqrt(xy).

I get you, Mark, I see now that you started with the antecedent:

x>0 y>0
iff x-y [tex]\geq[/tex] 0
iff (x-y)2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 0

[tex]\vdots[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{x+y}{2} \geq \sqrt{xy}
[/tex]

It was not apparent to me at first, being a beginner and all. But I totally get it now, thanks so much! :)

So really the obnoxious thought was not needed at all since it was a direct proof.

You don't need, and shouldn't have "iff x - y >= 0." That is not information that is given or that you should assume.

Start with (x - y)^2 >= 0. That is true for all real x and y, regardless of whether x > y, x < y, or x = y.

Ok so let me get this straight, first I go from [tex]\frac{x + y}{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{xy}[/tex] to [tex]\left(x-y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 algebraically. Then I go from [tex]\left(x-y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 to [tex]\left(x+y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] and the inequality [tex]\left(x+y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] proves that if x and y are positive real numbers, then [tex]\frac{x + y}{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{xy}[/tex]. Correct?

The_Iceflash said:
Ok so let me get this straight, first I go from [tex]\frac{x + y}{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{xy}[/tex] to [tex]\left(x-y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 algebraically. Then I go from [tex]\left(x-y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 to [tex]\left(x+y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] and the inequality [tex]\left(x+y\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] proves that if x and y are positive real numbers, then [tex]\frac{x + y}{2}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{xy}[/tex]. Correct?
No, no, no! You're trying to conclude (i.e., end up with) that (x + y)/2 >= sqrt(xy)! What you are doing is called circular logic, where you assume something is true, wave your arms for a while, then conclude with what you originally assumed.

You are given that x and y are real nonnegative numbers.

You then note that for all real x and y,

We also know that, since x and y are nonnegative,

From this we can conclude that
[tex](x + y)^2 \geq x^2 + y^2 \geq 2xy[/tex]

Or, finally, that
[tex]\frac{x + y}{2} \geq \sqrt{xy}[/tex]

I laid most of this out all the way back in post #2 . Tatiana apparently got it, but you must not have.

Thank you for both being patient and being very helpful. I really appreciate it. There's just one more thing I'm having trouble seeing but it's rather small:

From this we can conclude that
[tex](x + y)^2 \geq x^2 + y^2 \geq 2xy[/tex]

Or, finally, that
[tex]\frac{x + y}{2} \geq \sqrt{xy}[/tex]

I know this question is a bit elementary but when I divide by 2 and square root both sides I'm getting [tex]\frac{\left(x+y\right)}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] instead of [tex]\frac{x + y}{2}[/tex]

Good eye! That was a detail that I overlooked.

Starting from scratch...
W are given that x and y are real and nonnegative.
(x - y)2 >= 0, for all real x and y.
==> x2 - 2xy + y2 >= 0, for all real x and y
==> x2 + 2xy + y2 >= 4xy, for all real x and y (I added 4xy to both sides).
==> (x + y)2 >= 4xy, for all real x and y.
==> x + y >= 2sqrt(xy) Since x and y are nonnegative, I can take the square root of their product and get a real number.
==> (x + y)/2 >= sqrt(xy) QED

There's a geometric interpretation to this. Given any rectangle, the average of the length and width of the rectangle is always greater than or equal to the square root of the product. It can be proven that equality happens only when the length and width are equal.

Thank You! :smile:

tatiana_eggs said:
Once you reach (x-y)2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 from the consequent, you can conclude your proof with the thought, "since the square of any real number (or the square of the difference of two real numbers greater than zero) will always be greater than or equal to zero, then for all x>0, y>0 [tex]\in[/tex] R, the consequent is true"
This isn't generally true. You can't start with a statement you're trying to prove, follow a bunch of logically correct steps, end up with a true statement, and therefore conclude that the original statement is true. It's a common mistake of logic students make when first learning to write proofs.
The_Iceflash said:
The book suggests working backward only to give you an idea as to how write the direct proof. Once you see how to turn the original statement into something more familiar, you can try reversing the steps, using the givens as necessary to do this, to write the direct proof.

1. What is a basic proof?

A basic proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth or validity of a statement or proposition. It involves a series of steps that follow a certain set of rules and principles to arrive at a conclusion.

2. How do I construct a basic proof?

To construct a basic proof, you need to start with a clear statement or proposition, then use logical reasoning and evidence to support your argument. You can also use basic proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by induction.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a basic proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a basic proof include using circular or flawed logic, making assumptions without justification, and not clearly stating each step of the proof. It is also important to check for any errors or gaps in the proof before reaching a conclusion.

4. Can a basic proof be wrong?

Yes, a basic proof can be wrong if it contains errors in logic or reasoning. It is important to carefully check each step of the proof and make sure that it follows the rules and principles of logic. If there are any mistakes, the proof should be revised until it is valid and accurate.

5. What are some tips for writing a convincing basic proof?

To write a convincing basic proof, it is important to clearly state each step and provide evidence or reasoning to support it. Use precise and concise language, and avoid using vague or ambiguous terms. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your proof to ensure its validity and effectiveness.