What is the force exerted by one crate on the other?

• Thread starter huybinhs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a man pushes two crates with a horizontal force of 400 N, each experiencing a friction force equal to 40% of its weight. The acceleration of the crates is 1.41 m/s^2 and the force exerted by one crate on the other is 135 N. The correct answer is 200 N.
huybinhs

Homework Statement

Two crates rests on the floor, one next to the other. A man pushes with a horizontal force of 400 N on the larger (50.0 kg) crate, which, in turn, pushes the other (25.0 kg) so that both slide as he walks along. Each crate experiences a friction force opposing the motion equal to 40% of its weight.

1.Determine the acceleration of the crates.
Answer in m/s^2

2.What is the force exerted by one crate on the other?
Answer in Newtons

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

1) total friction force Ff = 40 x (50+25) x 9.8/100 = 294 N
=>F(net) = F(applied) - Ff
=>F(net) = 400 - 294 = 106 N
=>By F = ma
=>106 = 75 x a
=>a = 106/75 = 1.41 m/s^2 => CORRECT

2)F(net) = 106 N => INCORRECT. Why? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer is 200N. i did i have take one crate and i calculated the force.according to the force exerted by one is exactly opposite to athor

the answer is 200N. i did i have take one crate and i calculated the force.according to the force exerted by one is exactly opposite to anthor

the answer is 200N. i did i have take one crate and i calculated the force.according to the force exerted by one is exactly opposite to anothor

The force exerted on one crate to the other is:

A = 50 kg; B = 25 kg

F = ma
400 = 75.0 kg x a
a = 5.3 m/s^2

F + F(BA) = m1 x a
F + F(BA) = 50 kg x 5.3 m/s^2
F + F(BA) = 265 N

F + F(BA) = 265 - F
F(BA) = 265 - 400
F + F(BA) = -135 N (But put in 135 because that's the correct answer)

Thanks! I got it!

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N) using a tool called a spring scale or a force meter.

3. What factors determine the force exerted by one crate on the other?

The force exerted by one crate on the other depends on the mass of the crates and the distance between them. It also depends on the type of force being applied, such as friction or gravity.

4. Is the force exerted by one crate on the other always equal?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted by one crate on the other is always equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

5. How can the force exerted by one crate on the other be calculated?

The force can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the crate, and a is the acceleration. Alternatively, the force can also be calculated by multiplying the mass of the crate by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).