How Do You Solve Complex Roots in a Cubic Equation?

• Thread starter cue928
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary: So, here is the normal form: 4x^3 - 32x = 0.Thanks for your reply; I'm still not following where I need to go from there?Use polynomial division to divide 4x^3 - 32x +12 by x + 3.I happen to have a cheat sheet for the general method to solve cubic equations, so I'll post it.
cue928
I am feeling stupid over this one but I cannot remember how to solve it. I have the following cubic equation:
4x^3 - 32x = -12

I get the solution of x = -3 but not the other two.
I initially had it factored as: 4x(x^2 - 8) = -12
Did 4x = -12, got x = -3
But then I could not get the other two solutions.

Sorry for the simple question, just can't remember what you're supposed to do on these.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cue928 said:
I am feeling stupid over this one but I cannot remember how to solve it. I have the following cubic equation:
4x^3 - 32x = -12

I get the solution of x = -3 but not the other two.
I initially had it factored as: 4x(x^2 - 8) = -12
Did 4x = -12, got x = -3
But then I could not get the other two solutions.

Sorry for the simple question, just can't remember what you're supposed to do on these.

This is not a useful factorization: 4x(x^2 - 8) = -12
Write your equation as 4x^3 - 32x +12 = 0. Since x = -3 is a solution, then x + 3 must be a factor.

This means that you have (x + 3)(?) = 0, where ? is a quadratic expression, which is easier to factor than a cubic.

Mark44 said:
This is not a useful factorization: 4x(x^2 - 8) = -12
Write your equation as 4x^3 - 32x +12 = 0. Since x = -3 is a solution, then x + 3 must be a factor.

This means that you have (x + 3)(?) = 0, where ? is a quadratic expression, which is easier to factor than a cubic.

Thanks for your reply; I'm still not following where I need to go from there?

Use polynomial division to divide 4x^3 - 32x +12 by x + 3.

I happen to have a cheat sheet for the general method to solve cubic equations, so I'll post it.

Don't take this to mean you shouldn't follow the advice given above. When you see a simple method, there is no good reason not to use it.

You'll see that your equation is already in the normal form (EDIT: that is, if you divide your equation by 4), and the solution is easier in that case.

Attachments

• CubicSolution.pdf
    21.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

What are the methods for solving a cubic equation?

The three main methods for solving a cubic equation are the rational root theorem, the quadratic formula, and the cubic formula. These methods involve finding the roots or solutions of the equation.

How do I know if a cubic equation has real or complex roots?

A cubic equation will have real roots if the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, is greater than or equal to 0. If the discriminant is less than 0, the equation will have complex roots.

Can I solve a cubic equation by hand?

Yes, it is possible to solve a cubic equation by hand using the methods mentioned earlier. However, as the degree of the equation increases, it becomes increasingly difficult to solve by hand.

Are there any online resources or tools available for solving cubic equations?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for solving cubic equations. These include calculators, step-by-step guides, and even online forums where you can ask for help with specific equations.