What is a good general relativity book for self-study?

In summary: I would recommend Exploring Black Holes by Kip Thorne if you're looking for an in-depth book on general relativity. It covers a lot of material and has more advanced math than either Spacetime Physics or the Schutz book. However, it may be too much for someone without a lot of experience with mathematics.If you're looking for a book that will have a more significant mathematical foundation, I would recommend Schutz's book. If you're looking for a more accessible book, Spacetime Physics may be a better option.
Hobold
Hello, I'm a Mechanical Engineering student and I want a good general relativity book to study, as this course isn't offered in my course and my credits are already exploding for me to get this course this/next semester, so I will be studying on my on.

Also, which pre-requisites would be good to have? I have a good calculus background and basic physics knowledge (University-level mechanics, waves, heat, fluids, eletromagnetism, modern physics, optics, etc)

Anything in Spanish, Portuguese, English, German, Italian or French is fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "University level"? If that is the introductory freshman course, then you're not prepared.

My university doesn't offer an undergraduate course in general relativity so my experience is from the graduate course. Our course realistically required a course in partial differential equations, differential geometry would have been nice, Jackson level electromagnetism (graduate level), and I suppose that is it... not that that's to be taken lightly!

Thanks for your answer. I thought I was eligible for it.

Thread may be closed.

You could try "A first course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521887054/?tag=pfamazon01-20. A very large part of the book is spent developing the math needed to tackle general relativity. Usually I'd say this is unnecessary (most people study general relativity as seniors or in grad school) but in your case it might be what you are looking for. The book even goes over special relativity pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gravity by Hartle may be accessible to you. Though you'd still get more out of it if you've worked with Maxwell's equations in differential form.

Schutz is a more traditional GR book (i.e. developing the Riemann tensor before getting into much physics.)

Read a book on special relativity, first. I suggest "A Traveller's guide to spacetime"!

The best book in GR is The General Theory of Relativity by P A M Dirac

deluks917 said:
You could try "A first course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521887054/?tag=pfamazon01-20. A very large part of the book is spent developing the math needed to tackle general relativity. Usually I'd say this is unnecessary (most people study general relativity as seniors or in grad school) but in your case it might be what you are looking for. The book even goes over special relativity pretty well.

I agree, this is a very good book. However I prefer https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521735610/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The one by Narlikar has pretty much the same information as Schutz, however Narklikar's examples and illustrations more illuminating.

redrzewski said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/020138423X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Gentle intro with minimal math requirements.

Agreed. If you're not looking for something math intensive this is a great book. However if you go this route, you should probably also pick up https://www.amazon.com/dp/020138423X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Although Spacetime Physics is about Special Relativity rather than General Relativity, the book Exploring Black Holes builds off of this work. Both are great and very insightful books on the subject. They however lack the more advanced content, and mathematical formalism you'd find in Schutz's and Narklikar's books.

1. What is General Relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how massive objects interact with each other and how space and time are affected by these objects.

2. Why is General Relativity important?

General relativity is important because it provides a more accurate and complete understanding of gravity compared to Isaac Newton's theory of gravity. It has also been confirmed by numerous experiments and is essential for understanding the behavior of objects in the universe, such as black holes and the expansion of the universe.

3. Who can benefit from reading a General Relativity book?

Anyone interested in physics, astronomy, or cosmology can benefit from reading a General Relativity book. It is also a fundamental theory for those studying advanced physics or pursuing a career in science.

4. Is General Relativity difficult to understand?

General relativity can be challenging to understand due to its complex mathematical equations and concepts. However, there are many resources available, such as books and online lectures, that can help make it more accessible to those without a strong background in physics.

5. What are some practical applications of General Relativity?

General relativity has practical applications in various fields, including GPS technology, which relies on the theory to accurately measure time and location. It has also been used to predict and explain the behavior of gravitational waves, which are now being studied for potential medical imaging and energy harvesting applications.