Circular Orbits in SR: Force, mv^2/r, L Conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion for circular orbits in classical mechanics, and asks about its expression in special relativity (SR). It is mentioned that SR applies to unaccelerated systems, while orbits, by definition, are accelerated systems. However, the conversation also touches on the fact that in SR, accelerating systems can be analyzed from the perspective of an inertial reference frame. The equation for circular orbits in SR is provided, along with the conditions for stable circular orbits. The conversation also briefly mentions the Born coordinate chart in relativistic physics. Finally, the force in SR is shown to be related to the classical force by a factor of gamma squared.
upurg
In CM there is this equation of motion for ciruclar orbits:
F=k/r^2=m*v^2/r, where k depends on the force involved.

I know this gets complicated in GR, but is there a simple expression for circular orbits in SR, what happends to the m*v^2/r ?

If the forces are only electromagnetic, does k/r^2 change in SR ?

Also, is the quantity L=mrv conserved in SR, or some modification ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to know what is the equation(s) for circular orbits in SR, in A) electromagnetic force k/r^2 and B) gravitational force if it is possible. Any reference ?

I could be wrong, but SR applies to unaccelerated systems. Orbits, by definition, are accelerated systems; therefore you will not find orbits in SR.

Further for SR to be of any interest you need to have a substantial fraction of c involved. Orbits at that speed would be in the world of QM. Once again, no SR orbits.

Integral said:
I could be wrong, but SR applies to unaccelerated systems. Orbits, by definition, are accelerated systems; therefore you will not find orbits in SR.
As it turns out that is wrong, in SR one can easily analyze the behavior of accelerating systems from the perspective of an inertial reference frame, and the modern view is that even non-inertial frames are considered part of SR if the curvature of spacetime is zero. See Can special relativity handle acceleration? from the Usenet Physics FAQ for more info.

If you meant GR, on the other hand, there exists such an expression. If I remember correctly, it is

[tex]r \left( \frac{d\phi}{dt} \right)^2=v=\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r-\frac{2GM}{c^2}}}[/tex]

Where [tex]t[/tex] is the time measured by a comoving observer.

As you can see, you don't need the general relativistic correction when [tex]r>>\frac{2GM}{c^2}[/tex].

Note also that stable circular orbits only exist when [tex]r>\frac{3GM}{c^2}[/tex] because of the speed limit of [tex]v<c[/tex].

upurg said:
In CM there is this equation of motion for ciruclar orbits:
F=k/r^2=m*v^2/r, where k depends on the force involved.

I know this gets complicated in GR, but is there a simple expression for circular orbits in SR, what happends to the m*v^2/r ?
In units where c=1 f you start with uniform circular motion, we have an equation for the worldline (parameterized by coordinate time):
[tex]s=(t,r\;cos(t\omega),r\;sin(t\omega),0)[/tex]

which gives a four-velocity:
[tex]u=\frac{ds}{d\tau}=\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-r^2\omega^2}},-\frac{r\omega\;sin(t\omega)}{\sqrt{1-r^2\omega^2}} ,\frac{r\omega\;cos(t\omega)}{\sqrt{1-r^2\omega^2}} ,0 \right)[/tex]

and therefore a four-force:
[tex]f=\frac{d(mu)}{d\tau}=\left( 0, -\frac{mr\omega^2\;cos(t\omega)}{1-r^2\omega^2} , -\frac{mr\omega^2\;sin(t\omega)}{1-r^2\omega^2}, 0\right)[/tex]

So the magnitude of the four-force is:
[tex]|f|=\frac{m r\omega^2}{1-r^2\omega^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
In relativistic physics, the Born coordinate chart is a coordinate chart for (part of) Minkowski spacetime, the flat spacetime of special relativity. It is often used to analyze the physical experience of observers who ride on a rigidly rotating ring or disk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_coordinates

I think there's a typo above, and the force should be

[tex]
f=\frac{d(mu)}{d\tau}=\left( 0, -\frac{mr\omega^2\.cos(t\omega)}{1-r^2\omega^2} , -\frac{mr\omega^2\.sin(t\omega)}{1-r^2\omega^2}, 0\right)
[/tex]

Easy to do with so much Tex.:wink:

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
I think there's a typo above
Oops! :redface: thanks for the heads-up. I have fixed it.

DaleSpam said:
Oops! :redface: thanks for the heads-up. I have fixed it.
Doesnt look like it's corrected, two dots missing, is m rest mass of the orbiting object? And f points radially inwards ?

It is correct, the dots were also mistakes. Yes, m is the invariant mass of the orbiting object, and yes, f points radially inwards.

Awesome, also, if w=v/r, then this force is just gamma^2 * mv^2/r, so all we need to do when going from CM to SR is v->gamma*v ?

1. What is the relationship between force and circular orbits in special relativity?

In special relativity, force is not a fundamental concept. Instead, it is described in terms of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. The circular orbit of an object is a result of the balance between this curvature and the object's momentum.

2. How does the equation mv2/r relate to circular orbits in special relativity?

This equation, also known as the centripetal force equation, describes the force needed to keep an object in a circular orbit. In special relativity, the equation is modified to include the effects of time dilation and length contraction, resulting in the equation F = γmv2/r, where γ is the Lorentz factor.

3. What is the significance of L conservation in circular orbits in special relativity?

In special relativity, angular momentum (L) is conserved in a circular orbit, meaning that it remains constant as the object moves along its path. This is due to the conservation of energy and momentum in special relativity, which leads to the conservation of angular momentum as well.

4. Can circular orbits occur in special relativity without a force acting on an object?

No, circular orbits in special relativity still require a force to keep the object in motion. This force may be due to the curvature of spacetime or other effects such as electromagnetism, but it is necessary for the object to maintain a circular path.

5. How does special relativity affect the concept of circular orbits compared to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, circular orbits are described in terms of Newton's laws of motion and gravitational force. In special relativity, the equations are modified to account for the effects of time dilation, length contraction, and the constancy of the speed of light. This results in a more complex understanding of circular orbits, but it is necessary for describing objects moving at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.