Find the constant of vain (wien)

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: Einstein's theory.In summary, to find the Wien constant w, one needs to take the derivative of the spectral radiancy R with respect to wavelength and set it equal to zero. This will give the value of the wavelength at which R is a maximum, which is equal to w/T. Then, to solve for w, one can substitute numerical values for the constants and compare the result to the equation w = 2898 micro meters Kelvin. However, this process may require using a calculator to solve the transcendental equation.
stunner5000pt
Find a wien constant A from the equation [tex] R(\lambda,T) = \frac{2\pi h c^2}{\lambda^3} \frac{1}{e^\frac{hv}{kT} - 1} [/tex] Show that the Wien constant w = Lambda T = hc / 4.965k

Also i know that w = 2898 micro metres Kelvin

I'm not sure what to do here... Do i fiddle with the equation for hte spectral radiancy?? Do i expand the tern for the exp function?

But how would you manage to get the Boltzmann constant in the denominator without expanding the exp function?

Please do help with this!

Part 2 of this question is

Substitute numerical values for the constants and evalute. Compare the result with the Equation of w = 2898 [tex] \mu m K [/tex]

Now i need to solve the first part to get this second part, i would really really appreciate your help on this matter!

Thank you in advance for this!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Wien constant is defined as the product of the temperature and the wavelength for which the blackbody radiation is a maximum:

[tex]w = \lambda_{max} T[/tex]

so what you need to do is take the derivative of R with respect to [itex]\lambda[/tex], set it equal to 0 and solve for [itex]\lambda_{max}[/itex]. Remember that [itex]\nu[/itex] depends on [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Once you find that value just multiply it by the temperature and you have Wien's constant!

It's actually easier than it looks at the outset! (It might be easier to work with [itex]\nu[/itex] and switch back to wavelength at the end.)

Tide said:
The Wien constant is defined as the product of the temperature and the wavelength for which the blackbody radiation is a maximum:

[tex]w = \lambda_{max} T[/tex]

so what you need to do is take the derivative of R with respect to [itex]\lambda[/tex], set it equal to 0 and solve for [itex]\lambda_{max}[/itex]. Remember that [itex]\nu[/itex] depends on [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Once you find that value just multiply it by the temperature and you have Wien's constant!

It's actually easier than it looks at the outset! (It might be easier to work with [itex]\nu[/itex] and switch back to wavelength at the end.)

Wow i would never think it was that easy! But thank you very much!

Could you also help me with another one ?? Please?
This one has to do with Einstein's heory for specific heat
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=49792

w corresponds to the value of [tex]\lambda[/tex] for which R is a maximum. This maximum occurs at [tex]\lambda = w/T[/tex].

To find the maximum you just put

[tex]\frac{\partial R}{\partial \lambda} = 0 [/tex]

and solve.

The problem is that you can only solve this numerically, since you get a transcendental equation. Good luck.

James,

Yes, but that's not a serious problem with modern calculators!

What is the constant of Wien?

The constant of Wien, also known as Wien's displacement law constant, is a physical constant that relates the peak wavelength of thermal radiation emitted by a black body to its temperature. It is denoted by the symbol b and has a value of approximately 2.8977729 × 10-3 m⋅K.

How is the constant of Wien used in science?

The constant of Wien is used in numerous fields of science, including astrophysics, thermodynamics, and radiometry. It is commonly used to calculate the temperature of stars and other objects in space, as well as to determine the peak wavelength of thermal radiation emitted by various materials. Additionally, it is a crucial component in the Planck radiation law, which describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium.

What is Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law states that the peak wavelength of thermal radiation emitted by a black body is inversely proportional to its absolute temperature. This means that as the temperature of a black body increases, the peak wavelength of the radiation it emits will decrease. The constant of Wien is used to quantify this relationship and is crucial in understanding the thermal radiation emitted by objects at different temperatures.

Who discovered the constant of Wien?

The constant of Wien is named after German physicist Wilhelm Wien, who discovered it in 1893. He derived the equation for Wien's displacement law and used it to experimentally determine the value of the constant. Wien's discovery was a significant contribution to the field of thermodynamics and helped further our understanding of black body radiation.

How is the constant of Wien determined?

The constant of Wien can be determined experimentally by measuring the peak wavelength of thermal radiation emitted by a black body at different temperatures and then using the data to calculate the value of the constant. It can also be derived theoretically using Planck's law and the assumption of thermodynamic equilibrium. The current accepted value of the constant is based on both experimental and theoretical calculations.