Polarization Charge on the surface of a spherical cavity

So then the integral should be:E_z = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{-\sigma_e \cos(\theta) R^2 \sin(\theta) d\theta d\varphi}{R^2}= \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} -\sigma_e \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta) d\theta d\varphi= \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int_{0}^{2\
XCBRA

Homework Statement

The polarizatiob charge on the surface of a spherical capacitor is [tex] -\sigma_e \cos(\theta), [/tex] at a point whose radius vector from the centre makes an angle [itex] \theta [/itex] witha given axis Oz. Prove that the field strength at the centre is [tex] \frac{\sigma_e}{3 \epsilon_0}, [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I not entirly sure how to approach this problem. I tried exapanding the potentials inside and outside the sphere as:
[tex] V_{in} = A_1 r \cos(\theta) + \frac{A_2}{r^2}\cos(\theta)
V_{out} = B_1 r \cos(\theta) + \frac{B_2}{r^2}\cos(\theta) [/tex]

Then since [itex] V_{in} \neq \infty, [/itex] [itex] A_2 = 0 ,[/itex]

then saying that at r=R: [itex] D^{perpendicular}_{in} - D^{perpendicular}_{out} = \sigma_f [/itex] and assuming that both inside and outside have the same permitivitty then [tex] E^{radial}_{in} - E^{radial}_{out} = \frac{\sigma_f}{\epsilon_0} [/tex].[tex] A_1 + B_1 - \frac{B_1}{R^2} = \frac{\sigma_e}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

I am not entirely sure if I am aproaching this problem in the right way. Any help or advice on how to g o about solving this problem or problems like this would very much apreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
XCBRA said:

Homework Statement

The polarizatiob charge on the surface of a spherical capacitor is [tex] -\sigma_e \cos(\theta), [/tex] at a point whose radius vector from the centre makes an angle [itex] \theta [/itex] witha given axis Oz. Prove that the field strength at the centre is [tex] \frac{\sigma_e}{3 \epsilon_0}, [/tex]

While I am sure there is some clever way to apply spherical harmonic expansion here, the problem is more straight forwardly done by just use integration. Just do a surface integral over the electric field contribution of each area element. There is clear azimuthal rotation symmetry so that you only needs to compute the [itex]z[/itex] component. [tex]E_z = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, da}{R^2} \,,[/tex] where [itex]R[/itex] is radius of the sphere.

Fistly thank yo for your help. Secondly I am having trouble seeing how yuo get to this integral and then how you solve it. Am I correct in saying this is a result of Gauss' Law?

I have tried to compute the integral and i am unfortunately at a loss as to how to do this to get the desired answer:

[tex] E_z = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, da}{R^2} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int\int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, rdrd\theta}{R^2}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int r dr \int \frac{\sigma(\theta) \cos\theta \, d\theta}{R^2}[/tex]

here is where i am stuck. Do I take limits, and if so how do I determine them, I have tried taking r=R to r=0 and [itex] \theta = 0, 2\pi. [/itex]? Thank you for you help.

You have the wrong area element of a sphere. It should be: [itex]da = R^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\varphi[/itex].

There is no variation in radial distance, so no [itex]dr[/itex].

Last edited:
Ah ok that makes a lot more sense, thank you for your help.

1. What is polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity?

Polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity is the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of a cavity due to the presence of an external electric field. This phenomenon occurs when the material surrounding the cavity is polarizable, meaning it can be easily affected by an external electric field.

2. How is polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity calculated?

The polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity can be calculated using the formula Q = χε0E, where Q is the polarization charge, χ is the electric susceptibility of the material, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and E is the external electric field.

3. What is the significance of polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity?

The presence of polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity can affect the behavior of the electric field inside the cavity. It can also influence the overall electric potential and the distribution of electric charge inside the cavity, thus impacting the overall electric field in the surrounding space.

4. How does the geometry of the cavity affect the polarization charge on its surface?

The geometry of the cavity can affect the distribution of polarization charge on its surface. For example, a spherical cavity will have a more uniform distribution of polarization charge compared to a cylindrical cavity, where the polarization charge may be more concentrated near the edges.

5. Can polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, polarization charge on the surface of a spherical cavity can be controlled by changing the external electric field or by altering the material surrounding the cavity. This can be useful in various applications, such as in electronic devices and in the study of materials with polarizable properties.