Find all x such that |x-1|+|x-2|>1.

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary: The problem is to find all values of x that satisfy the inequality |x-1|+|x-2|>1. The solution involves evaluating different cases based on the signs of x-1 and x-2 and intersecting those assumptions with the solution. Cases 3 and 4 are not useful as they lead to nonsensical solutions. Graphing the function |x-1|+|x-2| can also provide insight into the solutions.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Find all x such that ##|x-1|+|x-2|>1##.

Homework Equations

Definition of absolute value:
|x| = x if x ≥ 0.
|x| = -x if x ≤ 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the most straightforward way if to do this case-wise:

Case 1: ##(x-1)>0 \wedge (x-2)>0## then

##(x-1) + (x-2) > 1 \implies x > 2.##

Case 2: ##(x-1)<0 \wedge (x-2)<0## then

## (1-x) + (2-x) > 1 \implies x<2.##

Case 3: ##(x-1)>0 \wedge (x-2)<0## then

## (x-1)+(1-x) > 1 \implies 0 >1. ##

Case 4: ##(x-1)<0 \wedge (x-2)>0## then

## (1-x) + (x+2) > 1 \implies 3 > 1. ##

Cases 3 and 4 are bothering me because x 'drops out.' Case 3 makes no sense and has me wondering if Case 4 even makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Case 1 looks right to me. Plugging 2 in you get |2-1|+|2-2|>1 ==> 1+0>1 so x has to be at least bigger than 2.

Yeah. I don't really understand what is going on with the other cases. Even case 2 fails if you plug in x = 1. I thought I needed to evaluate all cases and then take what is common between them?

Saladsamurai said:
Yeah. I don't really understand what is going on with the other cases. Even case 2 fails if you plug in x = 1. I thought I needed to evaluate all cases and then take what is common between them?

You need to intersect your assumptions with the solution. Take case 2. You've assumed x<1 AND x<2 AND you have concluded x<2. Of course, x=1 doesn't need to work. It violates your assumption that x<1.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You need to intersect your assumptions with the solution. Take case 2. You've assumed x<1 AND x<2 AND you have concluded x<2. Of course, x=1 doesn't work. It violates your assumption that x<1.

Oof. Ok, I see that one now. Now what about case 3 and 4? Do they actually give me any useful information? I guess I need to take a second look here and do what you said.

Case 3 I assumed ##(x-1 > 0) \wedge (x-2 < 0)## which translates to ## x>1 \wedge x<2##. So this means that I am only looking at numbers on the interval (1,2). So does the fact that I got a 'nonsense' answer of 0>1 mean that there are no numbers on the interval (1,2) that satisfy the inequality?

And as for case 4, it seems I have assumed that ##x < 1 \wedge x>2## which is nonsense from the start! So it means that I need not consider this case (because it is not even a case!). Correct?

Saladsamurai said:
Oof. Ok, I see that one now. Now what about case 3 and 4? Do they actually give me any useful information? I guess I need to take a second look here and do what you said.

Case 3 I assumed ##(x-1 > 0) \wedge (x-2 < 0)## which translates to ## x>1 \wedge x<2##. So this means that I am only looking at numbers on the interval (1,2). So does the fact that I got a 'nonsense' answer of 0>1 mean that there are no numbers on the interval (1,2) that satisfy the inequality?

That's exactly what it means.

Dick said:
That's exactly what it means.

Don't know if you saw the edit about case 4, but I think I got it right. Thanks again Dick! I know you're sick of seeing my posts, but I promise there are plenty more to come. :smile: High school drop-outs turned engineers need to relearn math right sometimes :biggrin:

Saladsamurai said:
Don't know if you saw the edit about case 4, but I think I got it right. Thanks again Dick! I know you're sick of seeing my posts, but I promise there are plenty more to come. :smile: High school drop-outs turned engineers need to relearn math right sometimes :biggrin:

When I'm sick of hearing from you I'll stop answering your posts. Until then, you are fine. And yes, you are correct that some of the cases are nonsense. Just throw them away.

Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

Find all x such that ##|x-1|+|x-2|>1##.

Homework Equations

Definition of absolute value:
|x| = x if x ≥ 0.
|x| = -x if x ≤ 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the most straightforward way if to do this case-wise:

Case 1: ##(x-1)>0 \wedge (x-2)>0## then

##(x-1) + (x-2) > 1 \implies x > 2.##

Case 2: ##(x-1)<0 \wedge (x-2)<0## then

## (1-x) + (2-x) > 1 \implies x<2.##

Case 3: ##(x-1)>0 \wedge (x-2)<0## then

## (x-1)+(1-x) > 1 \implies 0 >1. ##

Case 4: ##(x-1)<0 \wedge (x-2)>0## then

## (1-x) + (x+2) > 1 \implies 3 > 1. ##

Cases 3 and 4 are bothering me because x 'drops out.' Case 3 makes no sense and has me wondering if Case 4 even makes sense.

You may gain more insight by plotting the function f(x) = |x-1| + |x-2|. Think of adding the graph of y = |x-1| to the graph of y = |x-2|. Look in detail: when x is to the left of 1, both graphs have slope -1, so the combined graph has slope -2. For x between 1 and 2, one graph has slope -1 and the other has slope +1, so the combined slope = 0 (that is, f(x) is constant for 1 < x < 2). To the right of x = 2, both graphs have slope +1, so the combined graph has slope +2.

RGV

Related to Find all x such that |x-1|+|x-2|>1.

What does the absolute value in this equation mean?

The absolute value in this equation represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It always results in a positive value.

What are the possible values of x that satisfy this equation?

The possible values of x that satisfy this equation are all real numbers except for x=1 and x=2. This is because when x=1 or x=2, the absolute value expressions will equal zero, making the equation false.

How do I solve this type of equation?

To solve this type of equation, you can break it down into two separate cases: one where x is greater than or equal to 2, and one where x is less than 1. Then, you can solve for x in each case and combine the solutions to find the overall solution set.

What is the graphical representation of this equation?

The graphical representation of this equation is a piecewise function with a "V" shape. The graph will have a break at x=1 and x=2, with the function increasing on either side of these values.

Can this equation be solved using algebraic methods?

Yes, this equation can be solved using algebraic methods. By breaking it down into two cases and solving for x in each case, you can find the overall solution set. However, it may also be useful to graph the equation to better understand the solution set.