What is an effective variable substitution for solving this integral?

• Thread starter brendan_foo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Substitution
In summary: Now,u have that I_{2}=\frac{1}{4}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^{2}2x dx ,which is easy to evaluate by using again the formula for I_{s} .That's all.In summary, the conversation was about finding a variable substitution for the integral \int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1-x^2} - x^2 (\sqrt{1-x^2}) - (1-x^2)^\frac{3}{2} dx and using trigonometric substitutions to solve it. Some suggestions were made, including using x = \sin{\theta} or
brendan_foo
Hi guys, could someone just suggest a variable substitution for me...just to get the ball rolling :

[tex]

\int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1-x^2} - x^2 (\sqrt{1-x^2}) - (1-x^2)^\frac{3}{2} dx

[/tex]

Whenever I've seen [itex] \sqrt{1-x^2} [/itex] (and its usually the reciprocal of), I've used trig substitutions to wind up with an inverse trigonometrical function as the output, and then evaluating the integral. Either way, would something like [itex] x = \sin{\theta} [/itex] be a good choice here (or maybe [itex] x = \csc{\theta}[/itex]), or can it just be done in a regular fashion? Any hints would be great, nothing revealing but a nudge in the right direction would be ace, if possible.

cheers guys :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
brendan_foo said:
Hi guys, could someone just suggest a variable substitution for me...just to get the ball rolling :

[tex]

[/tex]

Whenever I've seen [itex] \sqrt{1-x^2} [/itex] (and its usually the reciprocal of), I've used trig substitutions to wind up with an inverse trigonometrical function as the output, and then evaluating the integral. Either way, would something like [itex] x = \sin{\theta} [/itex] be a good choice here (or maybe [itex] x = \csc{\theta}[/itex]), or can it just be done in a regular fashion? Any hints would be great, nothing revealing but a nudge in the right direction would be ace, if possible.

Use this [tex] \int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1-x^2} - x^2 (\sqrt{1-x^2}) - (1-x^2)^\frac{3}{2} \ dx
= \int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt{1-x^2} \ dx - \int_{-1}^{1} x^2\sqrt{1-x^2} \ dx - \int_{-1}^{1} \left( 1- x^2\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} \ dx[/tex]

And make substituion for each integral ...

For this one just do some factoring.

[tex]
\int\limits_{ - 1}^1 {\sqrt {1 - x^2 } } - x^2 \left( {\sqrt {1 - x^2 } } \right) - \left( {1 - x^2 } \right)^{\frac{3}{2}} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int\limits_{ - 1}^1 {\sqrt {1 - x^2 } \left( {1 - x^2 - \left( {1 - x^2 } \right)} \right)} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int\limits_{ - 1}^1 {\left( { - 2x^2 } \right)\sqrt {1 - x^2 } } dx
[/tex]

I am not too sure about the substitution though. Maybe try some standard trig substitutions and then integrate by parts if needed?

Edit: I just tried using trig substitution with what I came up with. It ends up requiring quite a bit of working so it may not be the best method to use.

Last edited:
You know, (1 - x^2 - (1 - x^2)) = (1 - x^2 - 1 + x^2) = 0.

brendan_foo said:

[tex]

[/tex]

This integral
[tex] \int_{-1}^{+1} [\sqrt{1-x^{2}} - x^{2} (\sqrt{1-x^{2}}) - (1-x^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}] dx [/tex]

is dealt nicely by the substitution [itex] x\rightarrow \sin u [/itex],under which the limits of integration transform as follows:
[tex] -1\rightarrow -\frac{\pi}{2} ; +1\rightarrow +\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]
,and your integral becomes:
[tex] \int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} (\cos u -\sin^{2}u\cos u-\cos^{3}u)\cos u du [/tex]
,which can be evaluated quite easily.
Split it in three integrals.Denote your initial integral by 'I'.Then:
[tex] I=I_{1}-I_{2}-I_{3} [/tex]
,where
[tex] I_{1}=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2}u du [/tex]
[tex] I_{2}=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^{2}u\cos^{2}u du [/tex]
[tex] I_{3}=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{4}u du [/tex].

Use the fact that [itex] \cos^{4}u=\cos^{2}u-\cos^{2}u\sin^{2}u [/itex]
to express
[tex] I_{3}=I_{1}-I_{2} [/tex]
,from where u find that your initial integral (I) is:
[tex] I=0 [/tex]

Daniel.

Hi, I managed to come to the integral(s) that you arrived to in the previous post, but I think I sucked up those integrations.

I know the final integral should be evaluated to 1/5, but its a really long winded little thing. I used [itex] x = \sin(\theta) [/itex] but the calculations went on for ages.

Could you use reciprocal trig functions, like cosec(x) or something and use those trig identies? or does that just make it un-necessary complication?

Cheers guys, much appreciated :biggrin: :biggrin:

tell me if you can arrive at one-fifth.

brendan_foo said:
Hi, I managed to come to the integral(s) that you arrived to in the previous post, but I think I sucked up those integrations.

I know the final integral should be evaluated to 1/5, but its a really long winded little thing. I used [itex] x = \sin(\theta) [/itex] but the calculations went on for ages.

Could you use reciprocal trig functions, like cosec(x) or something and use those trig identies? or does that just make it un-necessary complication?

Cheers guys, much appreciated :biggrin: :biggrin:

tell me if you can arrive at one-fifth.

I just showed you that,in order to evluate the initial integral,you have to make an obviuos substitution and no integration,as the result is proven to be zero by a simple identity involving trig.functions.

Consider the integrals:
[tex] I_{s}=:\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^{2}x dx [/tex]
[tex] I_{c}=:\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^{2}x dx [/tex]

1.Use the fundamental formula of circular trigonometry to find
[tex] I_{c}+I_{s}=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} 1 dx =x|_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}}=\pi[/tex]
2.Use the identity:
[tex] \cos^{2} x-\sin^{2} x=\cos 2x [/tex]
,to find that:
[tex] I_{c}-I_{s}=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{+\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos 2x dx [/tex]
.Under the obvious substitution [itex] 2x\rightarrow u [/itex],under which the limits transform as follows:
[tex] -\frac{\pi}{2}\rightarrow -\pi ;+\frac{\pi}{2}\rightarrow +\pi [/tex]
,u're gettin'
[tex] I_{c}-I_{s}=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} \cos u du =\frac{1}{2}\sin u|_{-\pi}^{+\pi}=0 [/tex]
So:
[tex]I_{c}=I_{s}=\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]
.And should be the first integral [itex] I_{1} [/itex]
For the second,use the trigonometrical identity
[tex] \sin^{2}x\cos^{2}x =(\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x)^{2}=\frac{1}{4}\sin^{2}2x [/tex].
And then the integral,by a substitution [itex] 2x\rightarrow u [/itex] could be put in relation with [itex] I_{s} [/itex] computed above.

Daniel.

Last edited:
I just showed you that,in order to evluate the initial integral,you have to make an obviuos substitution and no integration,as the result is proven to be zero by a simple identity involving trig.functions.

You don't have to involve any trigonometric functions, see Benny's post and my correction to it.

You're right,but the trig.stuff is needed to evaluate each integral in term.He was convinced that the final result would be zero,but he asked whether the last integral (I_{3} as i depicted it) was 1/5 or not...

Daniel.

Hey are any of you guys on an IM facility, like MSN or yahoo...wouldn't mind having a proper chat with someone, I can see that in comparison to many, i am waaaaay behind.

brendan_online@hotmail.com if you could talk to me on MSN

thanks for your patience :smile:
Cheers guys

Last edited:
You're right,but the trig.stuff is needed to evaluate each integral in term.He was convinced that the final result would be zero,but he asked whether the last integral (I_{3} as i depicted it) was 1/5 or not...

Aha, I interpreted "final integral" as "I".

Muzza said:
You know, (1 - x^2 - (1 - x^2)) = (1 - x^2 - 1 + x^2) = 0.

Oops, I made an error with my simplification. :redface: :biggrin:

1. What is an effective substitution?

An effective substitution is a replacement for something else that produces a similar or better result. It can be used in a variety of fields, including science, to improve a process or outcome.

2. When should an effective substitution be used?

An effective substitution should be used when the current method or solution is not producing satisfactory results or can be improved upon. It can also be used when resources are limited or a more cost-effective option is available.

3. How do you determine if a substitution is effective?

The effectiveness of a substitution can be determined by comparing the results of the new method or solution to the previous one. This can be done through experiments, data analysis, and other scientific methods.

4. Can an effective substitution be used in any situation?

While an effective substitution can be used in many situations, it is not always the best solution. Each situation is unique and requires careful consideration of the potential benefits and drawbacks of a substitution before implementing it.

5. Are there any potential risks or challenges when using an effective substitution?

There can be potential risks or challenges when using an effective substitution, such as unexpected outcomes or compatibility issues. It is important to thoroughly research and test the substitution before implementing it to minimize these risks.