Getting Fit: Shedding Pounds and Achieving Goals Together

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fit Goals
In summary: I've replaced it with healthier options like chicken, fish, eggs, etc. I've also started drinking a lot of water and herbal tea. I've also started working out again, but only once a week. In summary, based on my own experience, I think it's a good idea to slowly transition into a diet that eliminates carbs, and to gradually increase the amount of protein you eat. And finally, to continue to exercise on a regular basis.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK, so I've gained a bit of weight over the winter :redface:. I need to lose about 7 pounds.

I thought I'd start a thread, with two goals. First, as a way to keep me on track - nothing like a good old-fashioned public shaming to change one's behavior, haha. Second, if there are others wanting to lose too, join in and track your progress!

Share what you're doing, what works for you.

Also I'd like to know if anyone is working on a really, really tough goal, like running a marathon or earning a black belt.

Tonight I jogged/walked about 2.5 miles. Nothing too taxing, I'm starting slow.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need to avoid a lot of carbs, good or bad, so I basically went on the Atkins diet and lost 30 Lbs in about 4 months. That was a year ago and I have gained a bit back but am holding my own. I still want to lose another 20 Lbs so I plan to hit the hard-core diet again. That means no more than 25 grams of total carbs a day, IIRC.

I absolutely love my protein drink [Body Fortress]. It made a huge difference in my life; in large part because I didn't realize how many problems even good carbs like my high-grain toast, and milk, were causing. By replacing my morning calories with protein I feel soooooo much better. But again, I am a special case. This diet is controversial. It may be able to cause liver damage, which I why I limited my own time on the full-blown diet. I still eat a low-carb diet because I really have no choice. But I must say, it sure works! I was shedding pounds so fast that Tsu was absolutely blown away. She said she could see me changing almost daily. And I was adding muscle mass at the same time, so the percent body fat loss was surely greater than the weight loss alone would suggest.

Last edited:
I need to gain about 7 lbs. Lost it building fence. :biggrin:

lisab said:
ok, oddball story - There was a guy on the radio a few years back that was explaining his diet. He'd eat a small portion but before he went and had more, he'd have a spoon of castor oil. He claimed it killed his appetite and he wouldn't over-eat.

I tried something similar but instead of castor oil, I'd have a small meal then eat a large carrot. No salt. No ranch dressing. Just a raw, unadulterated carrot. Seems to work for me anyway. It's not only good for you (and not nearly as disgusting as castor oil) it helps fill me up and curbs the appetite. I lost 10 pounds in about as many months which is where I want to be.

For exercise, and since I sit behind a desk most of the day, I take 15 minutes in the afternoon and walk up and down the stairs. I figure I climb 450 feet up and back down in that time. Get some strange looks though when someone's following me to the bottom and I turn around and head back up. :confused:

Ivan Seeking said:
I need to avoid a lot of carbs, good or bad, so I basically went on the Atkins diet and lost 30 Lbs in about 4 months. That was a year ago and I have gained a bit back but am holding my own. I still want to lose another 20 Lbs so I plan to hit the hard-core diet again. That means no more than 25 grams of total carbs a day, IIRC.

I absolutely love my protein drink [Body Fortress]. It made a huge difference in my life; in large part because I didn't realize how many problems even good carbs like my high-grain toast, and milk, were causing. By replacing my morning calories with protein I feel soooooo much better. But again, I am a special case. This diet is controversial. It may be able to cause liver damage, which I why I limited my own time on the full-blown diet. I still eat a low-carb diet because I really have no choice. But I must say, it sure works! I was shedding pounds so fast that Tsu was absolutely blown away. She said she could see me changing almost daily. And I was adding muscle mass at the same time, so the percent body fat loss was surely greater than the weight loss alone would suggest.

I discovered years ago that when I let myself eat what I want, I gravitate to high protein foods. Like you said - I just feel *good* when I eat lots of protein.

I've almost cut out the base of the food pyramid below - everything in that layer makes me feel like a slug.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/Fpyr/pmap1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Q_Goest said:
ok, oddball story - There was a guy on the radio a few years back that was explaining his diet. He'd eat a small portion but before he went and had more, he'd have a spoon of castor oil. He claimed it killed his appetite and he wouldn't over-eat.

I tried something similar but instead of castor oil, I'd have a small meal then eat a large carrot. No salt. No ranch dressing. Just a raw, unadulterated carrot. Seems to work for me anyway. It's not only good for you (and not nearly as disgusting as castor oil) it helps fill me up and curbs the appetite. I lost 10 pounds in about as many months which is where I want to be.

For exercise, and since I sit behind a desk most of the day, I take 15 minutes in the afternoon and walk up and down the stairs. I figure I climb 450 feet up and back down in that time. Get some strange looks though when someone's following me to the bottom and I turn around and head back up. :confused:

Castor oil...ugh, lol. I think I'd rather smack my wrist with a rubber band (I've heard of people using that method to stop lots of habits, like smoking).

The carrot trick is a great idea!

Balance food intake with exercise. Eat complex carbohydrates such as vegetables and cereals, and minimize processed food. Oatmeal or multi-grain cereal with fruit is good for breakfast.

Exercise is really important for maintaining fitness, not only from the cardiac standpoint, but also for muscle tone and joint movement.

I try to walk 2 to 3 miles each day, usually around lunchtime. It takes about 45 minutes, or slightly longer if I add some additional distance. I also have some light weights to play with. Walking and weight training are also good for stress relief.

On the weekend, I can do chores such as yard work and/or gardening.

lisab said:
OK, so I've gained a bit of weight over the winter :redface:. I need to lose about 7 pounds.

I thought I'd start a thread, with two goals. First, as a way to keep me on track - nothing like a good old-fashioned public shaming to change one's behavior, haha.

I'm afraid that I will have to see a naked photo of you before I can offer an informed opinion.

Greetings Lisab,

It pays to bear in mind that dieting will never rival some manner of activity that serves to increase the rate of your metabolism.

Diets have never worked for me as they only left me miserably hungry, weak, shaky, gave me headaches, and increased my desire to eat something delicious to appease the belly god.

After not pedaling a bicycle for 30 years, I commenced bicycling regularly in late April of 2011. By late December of 2011, my weight had dropped from 205 pounds to 175.6 pounds. Currently, my weight is 168.4 pounds, so bicycling has quite literally transformed my body to the body I had 30 years ago, which has shocked family and friends. The best part is, I’ve enjoyed the various bicycling challenges and I enjoy every bicycle ride to and from my cousin’s house (round trip 16 miles), which includes many long steep ascents.

I bicycle everywhere these days. In fact, I just bicycled 100 miles on March 14, 2012, which isn’t bad when you consider I survived a near fatal heart attack in late August of 2009 at age 53 and I’m about to turn 56. Cardiovascular improvements came swiftly via bicycling and I was stunned by how quickly it melted away the fat from my stomach and sides. I had anticipated that it would slim my legs, but I hadn't expected it to melt away the pounds around my stomach and sides like it did.

Danger said:
I'm afraid that I will have to see a naked photo of you before I can offer an informed opinion.

Afraid you're going to have to use your imagination - so here we go. Imagine me naked. Now imagine 7 lbs. Imagine that 7 lbs all over me...yep, that's it :tongue2:

Gnosis said:
Greetings Lisab,

It pays to bear in mind that dieting will never rival some manner of activity that serves to increase the rate of your metabolism.

Diets have never worked for me as they only left me miserably hungry, weak, shaky, gave me headaches, and increased my desire to eat something delicious to appease the belly god.

After not pedaling a bicycle for 30 years, I commenced bicycling regularly in late April of 2011. By late December of 2011, my weight had dropped from 205 pounds to 175.6 pounds. Currently, my weight is 168.4 pounds, so bicycling has quite literally transformed my body to the body I had 30 years ago, which has shocked family and friends. The best part is, I’ve enjoyed the various bicycling challenges and I enjoy every bicycle ride to and from my cousin’s house (round trip 16 miles), which includes many long steep ascents.

I bicycle everywhere these days. In fact, I just bicycled 100 miles on March 14, 2012, which isn’t bad when you consider I survived a near fatal heart attack in late August of 2009 at age 53 and I’m about to turn 56. Cardiovascular improvements came swiftly via bicycling and I was stunned by how quickly it melted away the fat from my stomach and sides. I had anticipated that it would slim my legs, but I hadn't expected it to melt away the pounds around my stomach and sides like it did.

I'm the same way. I don't do well cutting back substantially on food. Besides, my diet is already really pretty good - I avoid processed foods, and I think the last time I went to McDonalds was...wow, I don't even remember...it was over 5 years ago.

But I can do moderate exercise for long stretches (once I'm in shape). And it feels good, I love it. So my plan is to ease into getting more active. Over the winter I was taking engineering classes and working full-time, and I really let my exercise schedule slide into nearly nothing :grumpy:,

That's really great that you recovered from nearly dying! Welcome to life part II!

"Appease the belly god"... :rofl:

I second bicycling. I asked about it on PF last year and decided to purchase a road bike in October or something. I take it every day for a 6 mile round trip to the campus, and do about 30 miles on the weekend. I've only lost about 5 lbs of weight, but more like 15 or so of just fat and put on about 10 in leg muscle. I'm 185 lbs now, which is great for my body type. It's also really relaxing and fun. If I need to get somewhere, and I don't need to be presentable, I will take my bike whenever possible. It's relaxing not having to fuss with traffic, or parking, and I use the time to think about physics related stuff mostly.

I used to run a few miles every other day, but I enjoy this more, and I feel like I got a great work out, without the usual pain in the knees and ankles that most of us non-18 year olds get from running.

lisab said:
Afraid you're going to have to use your imagination - so here we go. Imagine me naked. Now imagine 7 lbs. Imagine that 7 lbs all over me...yep, that's it :tongue2:

Just call me Kermit, and I'll be there...

lisab said:
I've almost cut out the base of the food pyramid below - everything in that layer makes me feel like a slug.

Same here. But I can measure the effect when my blood sugar dives. I've only had one piece of bread since a year ago last January. I don't eat anything with wheat and very little in the way of other grains. Now I can actually eat a meal without almost passing out! But it makes Thanksgiving dinner quite a disappointment!

I can't even remember the last time I had a piece of white bread.

Last edited:
lisab said:
Castor oil...ugh, lol. I think I'd rather smack my wrist with a rubber band (I've heard of people using that method to stop lots of habits, like smoking).

The carrot trick is a great idea!

Dunno about castor oil .. but here's a good one;

I usually have a very light breakfast. By about 2 PM I'm ravenous and can't wait for dinner. About a year ago, I found a wonderful thing - chocolate, yep, chocolate. or at least, chocolate with a minimum of 85% cocoa in it. I have a 25g bar at that point, and as well as providing a quick fix, it actually kerbs my appetite. Strange but true - it's actually an appetite supresent, I found.

You can find out a lot about the many benefits of cacoa by researching it on line.

I still barely make to the minimum BMI :cry:

lisab said:
But I can do moderate exercise for long stretches (once I'm in shape)

I was about 30 lbs over college weight 3 years ago, and even though I did exercise I found that I never had the energy levels I had say even five years ago. I systematically over the next three years did the following:

1. Cut out all artifically sweetened drinks, processed food snacks, devil dogs, etc...
2. Cut back food intake 30 - 40% resulting in less desire over time, weird how that happened but it did.
3. Stopped weighing myself weekly, I can tell how I am doing by how baggy my pants are and by belt notches.
4. Increased level, intensity, longevity of exercise, sometimes walking 5 miles and regularly bicycling (in season, between 10 - 25 miles at a time), do cardio, and weight lifting at the gym, mixed, don't ignore one for the other either, keep it mixed. I was losing muscle mass from too much cardio, too little working weights.
5. Eat small healthy snacks, during the day.

Sticking with this regimen I have been able to cut the weight by 15 lbs and have kept it there for three years. As you said, sometimes things you have to do (school, homework) get in the way, increase your stress levels and to relieve it, you fall back on old bad habits, candy bars, comfort food, etc... and the weight doesn't come off and even increases.

I find comfort in pushing myself to physical limits just a bit above what I have been capable of in say the last two or three years. I am having baseline testosterone level checked now, if it is low, I will have the remaining three levels checked. I like to push myself emotionally and psychologically as well, and set goals for the long and short term. If testosterone boost is needed, based ont the results of the second series of levels, there are creams or weekly shots you can give yourself to raise the levels to a normal range.

Rhody...

Exercise is much more important than diet. Modern culture has confused us into thinking everything we put into our mouths is a medicine or potion.

I see a lot of fat people who drink diet coke and eat salads, but I don't see a lot of fat people running every morning for 2-3 miles.

I'm very skinny, and I eat anything I want. I know this is not the most healthful lifestyle, but being active or having a high metabolism keeps me regulated more than anything I eat.

I think its foolish to deny yourself natural urges like being really hungry at midnight or wanting to eat pizza or something else comforting. It only makes yourself miserable and that ruins your motivation. Sign up for some sports classes or just make a routine of running. You can't do it this way tho "I ate a cake, so now I need to run a couple miles". You need to exercise regardless of what you eat.

DragonPetter said:
Exercise is much more important than diet. Modern culture has confused us into thinking everything we put into our mouths is a medicine or potion.

That I think is the proper perspective.

There is a remarkable science industry behind agriculture feed. Generaly speaking human food has less of a focus, so that should surprise you. I've questioned why there is no "perfectly balanced" human feed, designed in the same fashion as Agriculture feeds.

lisab said:

I thought I'd start a thread, with two goals. First, as a way to keep me on track - nothing like a good old-fashioned public shaming to change one's behavior, haha. Second, if there are others wanting to lose too, join in and track your progress!

Also I'd like to know if anyone is working on a really, really tough goal, like running a marathon or earning a black belt.

Tonight I jogged/walked about 2.5 miles. Nothing too taxing, I'm starting slow.
Whoo, seven lbs. ? Yes, that is disgusting.

I'm looking at my gut now, which, by itself, probably weighs more than one or your legs.
Just kidding (or maybe not) ... but I am about 20 lbs. overweight, and all of the excess seems to be in my gut. Everywhere else is ok.

My fitness friend told me that midsection exercise won't necessary reduce the gut size. Apparently, the only solution is to eat less and exercise more.

So, I've been walking to the store, walking to the beach, walking to the tennis courts, and taking walks at night instead of driving or bikeriding. Additionally, I stopped eating Hostess Suzy Q's, and bacon and eggs. Everything else is about the same. Lots of meat, some potatoes and a few vegetables. No milk. No soft drinks. But I do use butter on my morning grits.

And lots of water.

I'm going to the tennis courts now. Walking there of course (about 10 blocks). It's sunny so I should burn quite a few calories. All I've had so far today was a peach and a cup of black tea.

Best of luck with your program.

ThomasT said:

I'm looking at my gut now, which, by itself, probably weighs more than one or your legs.
Just kidding (or maybe not) ... but I am about 20 lbs. overweight, and all of the excess seems to be in my gut. Everywhere else is ok.

My fitness friend told me that midsection exercise won't necessary reduce the gut size. Apparently, the only solution is to eat less and exercise more.

So, I've been walking to the store, walking to the beach, walking to the tennis courts, and taking walks at night instead of driving or bikeriding. Additionally, I stopped eating Hostess Suzy Q's, and bacon and eggs. Everything else is about the same. Lots of meat, some potatoes and a few vegetables. No milk. No soft drinks. But I do use butter on my morning grits.

And lots of water.

I'm going to the tennis courts now. Walking there of course (about 10 blocks). It's sunny so I should burn quite a few calories. All I've had so far today was a peach and a cup of black tea.

Best of luck with your program.

Have you had any positive results? Bacon and eggs are awesome - I think they're worse for your cardiovascular system than they are for fat storage issues tho. I think its great if you can do without all of those things and not miss it tho.

I have read before that high intensity workouts are required to burn the most amount of fat. Walking is probably making your heart and muscles stronger, but it might be just using more of your immediate energy reserves instead of using fat energy. This is why its so hard for overweight people to get fit, because their weight limits the amount of high intensity exercise they can do.

Until I ended up in sedentary jobs, I had no problem with extra weight. Just like in HS and engineering school, I could eat like a pig and burn it off. Now I eat maybe one meal a day. I used to love running, but arthritis has put an end to that. I don't want to keep popping Aleve, because sure as sunrise, some future study is going to implicate it in kidney failures, etc. I'll just put up with the pain, and let my dog take me out for walks. Soon, it will be gardening season, with lots more upper-body exercise and lots of fresh greens and vegetables to eat.

I always find skipping is intensive. Much more so than running, and its more fun (yes, I am male. I refer you to boxers).

ThomasT said:

Better 7 than 70 :tongue2:!

And I'm not very tall, so I can't hide 7 lbs.

nobahar said:
I always find skipping is intensive. Much more so than running, and its more fun (yes, I am male. I refer you to boxers).

Skipping really is fun.

nitsuj said:
That I think is the proper perspective.

There is a remarkable science industry behind agriculture feed. Generaly speaking human food has less of a focus, so that should surprise you. I've questioned why there is no "perfectly balanced" human feed, designed in the same fashion as Agriculture feeds.

For people like me with repetitive motion problems - bad knees, bad back, bad joints in general - regular exercise as such is out of the question. Getting any real exercise without suffering injuries is all but impossible. Obviously one should do what they can, but being able to exercise to such an extent that one loses weight is beyond the practical. I have to save myself for actual work that needs to be done.

Just walking up to the house a few times a day can cause me knee problems.

Given that I was always an athlete, this has been terribly difficult to accept. I have two friends who constantly harp on me to exercise, which only makes it worse. I would give my eye teeth to be able to run again. I miss all of the activity. I can't do most of the things that I used to enjoy most.

Last edited:
I never grasped the point of dieting if all you're going to do is go back on the previous diet that helped you obtain the weight you dislike.

Eating in terms of your overall fitness level and exercising everyday (not the same exercise) keeps you in the optimal weight range? At least that is what I've been doing all these years.

So no one's working towards a lofty fitness goal, like a marathon or something similar?

DragonPetter said:
Have you had any positive results? Bacon and eggs are awesome - I think they're worse for your cardiovascular system than they are for fat storage issues tho. I think its great if you can do without all of those things and not miss it tho.

I have read before that high intensity workouts are required to burn the most amount of fat. Walking is probably making your heart and muscles stronger, but it might be just using more of your immediate energy reserves instead of using fat energy. This is why its so hard for overweight people to get fit, because their weight limits the amount of high intensity exercise they can do.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not well read on these subjects. I feel a little ... lighter, and my gut does seem to have gone down ever so slightly. I do get high intensity from the tennis (lots of sprinting and stretching, and of course the force needed to hit the ball).

lisab said:
So no one's working towards a lofty fitness goal, like a marathon or something similar?
Marathon ... :rofl:

lisab said:
I work toward small achievable goals, like being able to bicycle up a mountain I used to live next to as a kid. A smile comes across my face each time I reach the top. I have done it twice and never did it as a kid, so it makes me feel good. It is over always two hours of pure hell each time I do it, but I feel better for having done it.

Rhody...

lisab said:
It's more like avoiding heart attacks, strokes and cancer, and preventing premature deterioration of one's capabilities for mobility and independence.

rhody said:
I work toward small achievable goals, like being able to bicycle up a mountain I used to live next to as a kid. A smile comes across my face each time I reach the top. I have done it twice and never did it as a kid, so it makes me feel good. It is over always two hours of pure hell each time I do it, but I feel better for having done it.

Rhody...

I think you and I are kindred souls, Rhody :smile:.

Astronuc said:
It's more like avoiding heart attacks, strokes and cancer, and preventing premature deterioration of one's capabilities for mobility and independence.

Probably so. I'm just so goal-oriented!

lisab said:
I would like to run a half marathon but I really need to lose at least 15 pounds or I'll injure myself. I've been running 6 - 8 miles two or three times per week for almost three years. I was running around 8 - 10 at a time last year and even ran 12 a few times so I know that I could do 13.1. Also, my wife and I take 3-5 mile walks several times per week.

On the food front, I am definintely not perfect. I snack more than I should on things that are bad for me which is why I need to lose some. My weigh has been very stable for years though (+-5 pounds).

Two good things that I do are I mainly drink water except for coffee in the morning and I can count on one hand the number of times that I get fast food in a year (two hands for other restuarants).

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Well said Astro, well said, younger folk just don't understand, yet...

Rhody...