If the ball revolves twice every second, what is the tension in the string?

In summary, to figure out the velocity of the ball in a horizontal circle of radius 0.5 m, we can use the formula v = (2 x π x 0.5) / 1 = π m/s. This velocity is related to the centripetal acceleration experienced by the ball through the formula a_c = v^2 / r^2 = (π)^2 / (0.5)^2 = 4π^2 m/s^2. The centripetal acceleration of the ball is related to the tension in the string through the formula m x a_c = F_T + F_g. To calculate the tension in the string, we need to know the mass of the ball and the force of
Alexs45
A 0.25-kg ball attached to a string is rotating in a horizontal circle of radius 0.5 m. If the ball revolves twice every second, what is the tension in the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) How can you figure out the velocity of the ball by the information given?
2) How is that velocity related to the centripetal acceleration experienced by the ball?
3) How is the centripetal acceleration of the ball related to the tension in the string?

[tex]v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T}[/tex]
[tex]a_c = \frac{v^2}{r^2}=\frac{4 \pi^2 r}{T^2}[/tex]
[tex]m \cdot a_c = F_T + F_g[/tex]
i don't know if that's it, because I am kind of limited on my sources. I am at work, and I am not even supposed to be on this site. :rofl: the last equation is probably wrong, but i know the first two are right. well, i think. :smile:

Last edited:
i don't think that is right, i need the step by step help

all you have to do is plug in the numbers.

1. What does it mean for a ball to revolve twice every second?

When a ball revolves, it means that it is moving around a central point in a circular motion. In this case, it is completing two full rotations or revolutions every second.

2. How is the tension in the string related to the ball's revolution speed?

The tension in the string is directly related to the ball's revolution speed. As the ball revolves faster, the tension in the string increases because the ball exerts more force on the string as it moves.

3. What factors affect the tension in the string?

The tension in the string is affected by the weight of the ball, the speed of its revolution, and the length and material of the string. These factors all contribute to the amount of force being exerted on the string.

4. Can the tension in the string ever be higher than the weight of the ball?

Yes, the tension in the string can be higher than the weight of the ball if the ball is revolving at a high speed. This is because the speed of revolution adds to the force exerted on the string, making the tension higher than just the weight of the ball alone.

5. How is the tension in the string measured?

The tension in the string can be measured using a device called a tension meter or a spring scale. These instruments can measure the amount of force being applied to the string and give a numerical value for the tension. Alternatively, the tension can also be calculated using the weight of the ball, its speed of revolution, and the length and material of the string.