Creating a Simple Room Security System

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of creating a simple security system using only resistors, a thin wire, 12 AAA batteries, and a piezoelectric buzzer. The idea is to have the buzzer sound when a window is broken or opened, but it can be turned off by shorting out a component with a wire. The conversation also includes a mention of a PSPICE diagram for the design.
Mosaness
1. The challenge is to create a simple security system using only resistors, a very thin wire, 12 AAA batteries, and a piezoelectric buzzer.

2. The attempt at a solution

I recall reading that if a resistor is placed mid-wire in an alarm system, it will not detect any problems, such as a person trespassing or breaking in.

I did a little bit of research and came across a pdf that highlights a few points towards building an alarm.

My input source would be the batteries to provide a voltage to power the alarm. The output would be the piezoelectric buzzer. What remains is designing the system.

Can someone help me out with this? I need to do this extra credit to salvage my grade in that class.

Physics news on Phys.org
So the idea is that when someone opens a window it breakes the thin wire and that sounds the alarm?

So design a circuit that sounds the alarm all the time but which can be turned off by shorting out a component with a wire.

CWatters said:
So the idea is that when someone opens a window it breakes the thin wire and that sounds the alarm?

So design a circuit that sounds the alarm all the time but which can be turned off by shorting out a component with a wire.

That's pretty much the idea. Sort of like a burglar alarm. The only components allowed are:

1) Resistors of 1k
2) Wire w/ resistance of 1ohm
3) A piezo electric buzzer.
4) 12 AAA 1.5V batteries

My initial rough draft was a square with a ground at the leftmost corner and a resistor at the remaining three corners. There were 3 AAA batteries that I put in the middle of one side to act as the voltage source. I was thinking that the side with the batteries could be the entry point.

Can you draw that. You didn't mention thepiezo in your description of the circuit.

I see no need to distribute components around the room on a simple design. Is there more to the question? Such as a need to detect tampering?

CWatters said:
Can you draw that. You didn't mention thepiezo in your description of the circuit.

I see no need to distribute components around the room on a simple design. Is there more to the question? Such as a need to detect tampering?

I can show you the PSPICE diagram that I created for it. I'll attach that. That alarm is suppose to attack as a sensor for any window that is broken or opened.

Attachments

• PSPICE.jpg
    PSPICE.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 490
No one has any suggestions?...

What about the suggestion in post #2?

Mosaness said:
I can show you the PSPICE diagram that I created for it. I'll attach that. That alarm is suppose to attack as a sensor for any window that is broken or opened.

I can't see the top of that diagram but there doesn't appear to be a buzzer in the circuit but if there is it appears to sound all the time until the circuit is broken.

What is a simple room security system?

A simple room security system is a set of devices and techniques used to protect a room from unauthorized access or entry. It typically includes sensors, alarms, and other components that detect and react to potential threats.

What are the components of a simple room security system?

The basic components of a simple room security system include sensors, such as motion detectors and door/window sensors, an alarm or siren, and a control panel to monitor and activate the system.

How does a simple room security system work?

A simple room security system works by using sensors to detect any potential threats, such as motion or a door/window being opened. When a sensor is triggered, it sends a signal to the control panel, which then activates the alarm or siren to alert the homeowner or security monitoring service.

Can I install a simple room security system myself?

Yes, it is possible to install a simple room security system yourself, but it is recommended to consult with a professional to ensure proper placement and functionality of the components. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when installing the system.

What are the benefits of a simple room security system?

A simple room security system provides peace of mind by alerting the homeowner or authorities of any potential threats to the room. It can also act as a deterrent to burglars, and some systems offer additional features such as remote monitoring and integration with other smart home devices.