1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a small alarm using a capacitor, resistors etc

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The goal is to create a small alarm that goes off for exactly 6 seconds before turning off. The materials allowed are 1000 1 ohm resistors, wire, a box of rechargeable 1.5 V triple A batteries (12 count) and a piezoelectric buzzer.

2. Ohms Law. Power = V2/R

3. I have a design without the capacitor that is consistent of a piezoelectric buzzer, 200 1 ohm resistors, and 12 batteries so that the time for which my alarm sounds is around 3 days and 3 hours.

I'm not sure how to make it so that it sounds for exactly 6 seconds with a capacitor...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Please share what you have done. What triggers the alarm?

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Basically it is a small alarm that one would put around a room that has only a window. When someone opens this window, the alarm starts going off. My design prior to the capacitor was of a piezoelectric buzzer (400 ohms) in parallel with a 100 ohm wire, which was in turn in series with a 200 1 ohm resistors connected to two 9 volt batteries in parallel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook