Creating a small alarm using a capacitor, resistors etc

In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of creating a small alarm that goes off for exactly 6 seconds using specific materials such as resistors, wire, batteries, and a piezoelectric buzzer. The design mentioned has a piezoelectric buzzer, 200 1 ohm resistors, and 12 batteries, but the challenge is to make the alarm sound for exactly 6 seconds with the addition of a capacitor. The alarm is triggered by the opening of a window.
Mosaness
1. The goal is to create a small alarm that goes off for exactly 6 seconds before turning off. The materials allowed are 1000 1 ohm resistors, wire, a box of rechargeable 1.5 V triple A batteries (12 count) and a piezoelectric buzzer.

2. Ohms Law. Power = V2/R

3. I have a design without the capacitor that is consistent of a piezoelectric buzzer, 200 1 ohm resistors, and 12 batteries so that the time for which my alarm sounds is around 3 days and 3 hours.

I'm not sure how to make it so that it sounds for exactly 6 seconds with a capacitor...

Physics news on Phys.org
Please share what you have done. What triggers the alarm?

lewando said:
Please share what you have done. What triggers the alarm?

Basically it is a small alarm that one would put around a room that has only a window. When someone opens this window, the alarm starts going off. My design prior to the capacitor was of a piezoelectric buzzer (400 ohms) in parallel with a 100 ohm wire, which was in turn in series with a 200 1 ohm resistors connected to two 9 volt batteries in parallel.

1. How does a capacitor play a role in creating a small alarm?

A capacitor is an electronic component that can store and release electrical energy. In creating a small alarm, a capacitor can be used to store energy from a power source and release it in short bursts, creating the sound for the alarm.

2. What is the purpose of using resistors in a small alarm circuit?

Resistors are used in a small alarm circuit to control the flow of electrical current. They help to regulate the amount of energy that is released from the capacitor, preventing it from damaging the other components in the circuit.

3. How do I choose the right value for a capacitor and resistors in a small alarm circuit?

The value of a capacitor and resistors used in a small alarm circuit will depend on the desired sound and duration of the alarm. It is important to consult a circuit diagram or seek guidance from a knowledgeable source to determine the appropriate values for your specific application.

4. Can I use other components besides a capacitor and resistors to create a small alarm?

Yes, there are other components that can be used to create a small alarm such as transistors, diodes, and piezoelectric buzzers. However, capacitors and resistors are commonly used in simple alarm circuits due to their availability and cost-effectiveness.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when creating a small alarm using capacitors and resistors?

It is important to always handle electronic components with caution and ensure that you are using the correct values and connections in your circuit. When working with capacitors, be sure to discharge them before handling to avoid electrical shocks. It is also recommended to wear protective gear and work in a well-ventilated area when soldering components together.