Electrical Engineering - Circuit w/Buzzer Help

In summary, a user named Jkruzz is seeking assistance from electrical engineers on a small design challenge. The goal is to design a circuit with no moving parts that will monitor a thin wire sensor and set off a buzzer if the window is breached. The relevant constraints include 12 1.5V AAA batteries, 1000 1Ω resistors, and a 2900 Hz piezoelectric buzzer. The user already has a rough model but it does not provide the required voltage when simulated in Pspice. They are looking for guidance and would like to use the least amount of parts possible.
Jkruzz
Hi guys, I've been using your forums for quite a while to help reinforce my physics principles, and only just made my account. I wanted to know if there were any electrical engineers that would be willing to assist me with some guidance in a small design challenge.

Homework Statement

Here are the goals
Design a circuit with no moving parts (i.e., no switches) that
(1) will effectively monitor the integrity of the thin wire sensor, and
(2) it will set off the buzzer if the window is breached (and hence the thin wire as well.)2. Relevant Constraints
12 1.5V AAA batteries
1000 1Ω resistors
2900 Hz piezoelectric buzzer
- draws 15 mA at 6 V
- Minimum(Voltage) 6V and maximum 28V to operate buzzer

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have a rough model, but it does not provide the required voltage when simulated in Pspice... I am pretty sure my methodology is completely wrong
Ideally, the least parts should be used.
If anyone is willing to help me with some guidance for this minor project it would be greatly appreciated! PM me for more details if interested

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jkruzz said:
Hi guys, I've been using your forums for quite a while to help reinforce my physics principles, and only just made my account. I wanted to know if there were any electrical engineers that would be willing to assist me with some guidance in a small design challenge.

Homework Statement

Here are the goals
Design a circuit with no moving parts (i.e., no switches) that
(1) will effectively monitor the integrity of the thin wire sensor, and
(2) it will set off the buzzer if the window is breached (and hence the thin wire as well.)

2. Relevant Constraints
12 1.5V AAA batteries
1000 1Ω resistors
2900 Hz piezoelectric buzzer
- draws 15 mA at 6 V
- Minimum(Voltage) 6V and maximum 28V to operate buzzer

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have a rough model, but it does not provide the required voltage when simulated in Pspice... I am pretty sure my methodology is completely wrong
Ideally, the least parts should be used.
If anyone is willing to help me with some guidance for this minor project it would be greatly appreciated! PM me for more details if interested

Hi Jkruzz, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you post a circuit diagram corresponding to your rough model, and perhaps outline its 'theory of operation' and some relevant calculations?

Jkruzz said:

Welcome to the PF.

Posts about this project should be in the open forum, and not carried out via PM.

And are you sure that is all the materials you are allowed to use? No transistor? How long is the circuit expected to last on battery power before the batteries need to be replaced?

1. What is the purpose of a buzzer in an electrical circuit?

The purpose of a buzzer in an electrical circuit is to produce an audible sound when an electrical current is passed through it. This can be used for various applications such as alarms, signaling, or feedback.

2. How does a buzzer work in an electrical circuit?

A buzzer typically consists of an electromechanical component called a transducer, which converts electrical energy into mechanical vibrations. The vibrations are then amplified and produce sound waves that are audible to the human ear.

3. How do I connect a buzzer to an electrical circuit?

To connect a buzzer to an electrical circuit, you will need to identify the positive and negative terminals on the buzzer. The positive terminal is usually longer or marked with a plus sign. Then, connect the positive terminal to the positive side of the power source and the negative terminal to the negative side of the power source. This will allow the buzzer to receive the necessary electrical current to produce sound.

4. Can a buzzer be controlled by a microcontroller?

Yes, a buzzer can be controlled by a microcontroller. You can use a microcontroller to send signals to the buzzer, such as turning it on or off or varying the frequency of the sound produced. This allows for more precise control and integration with other electronic components.

5. Can I use a buzzer in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, you can use a buzzer in both AC and DC circuits. However, the type of buzzer needed may differ depending on the type of circuit. DC circuits require a polarized buzzer, while AC circuits can use a non-polarized buzzer. It is important to check the specifications of the buzzer to ensure it is compatible with your specific circuit.