1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering - Circuit w/Buzzer Help!

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    Hi guys, I've been using your forums for quite a while to help reinforce my physics principles, and only just made my account. I wanted to know if there were any electrical engineers that would be willing to assist me with some guidance in a small design challenge.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here are the goals
    Design a circuit with no moving parts (i.e., no switches) that
    (1) will effectively monitor the integrity of the thin wire sensor, and
    (2) it will set off the buzzer if the window is breached (and hence the thin wire as well.)

2. Relevant Constraints
    12 1.5V AAA batteries
    1000 1Ω resistors
    2900 Hz piezoelectric buzzer
    - draws 15 mA at 6 V
    - Minimum(Voltage) 6V and maximum 28V to operate buzzer

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already have a rough model, but it does not provide the required voltage when simulated in Pspice... im pretty sure my methodology is completely wrong
    Ideally, the least parts should be used.
    If anyone is willing to help me with some guidance for this minor project it would be greatly appreciated! PM me for more details if interested

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Jkruzz, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you post a circuit diagram corresponding to your rough model, and perhaps outline its 'theory of operation' and some relevant calculations?

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Posts about this project should be in the open forum, and not carried out via PM.

And are you sure that is all the materials you are allowed to use? No transistor? How long is the circuit expected to last on battery power before the batteries need to be replaced?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook