Total vs Partial Integration: Exploring the Differences and Relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between \int f(x,y(x)) dx and \int f(x,y(x)) \partial x and how the total integral is written in terms of partial integrals. The participants conclude that there is no difference between the two and that the use of dx versus ∂x depends on the context and intention of the integral. Additionally, some participants mention the use of ∂x as a reminder of partial integration and its potential significance in path integrals.
superg33k
Hi,

Is there a difference between

[tex] \int f(x,y(x)) dx [/tex]

And

[tex] \int f(x,y(x)) \partial x [/tex]

?

If so, how is the total integral written in terms of partial integrals?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen [itex]\partial[/itex] used in that way.

In both cases, the function f is dependent on x only.

If by partial integration, you mean an iterated integral, then the result of both should be the same.

Either way, the iterated integral uses a total differential dx, not a partial.

The dx usually means partial integration. The ∂x is an added reminder of partial integration it is sometimes used when solving exact differential equation as a reminder. Writing y(x) is also a clear indicator of functional dependence, more clear than writing y.

HallsofIvy said:
I have never seen [itex]\partial[/itex] used in that way.
Neither have I, and as other posts here point out x is the only independent variable in the OP, so it cannot make any difference.
More generally (when there's another independent variable), it could make sense as a path integral, i.e. along a path where the other independent variable is constant.

Have none of you read the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics?

I've never seen ##\partial## used that way either (I haven't throughly read the CRC handbook, it seems), but if I had to wager a guess I would suppose that

$$\int f(x,y(x))\partial x$$
is meant to be integrated in only the first argument, holding y=y(x) fixed, while

$$\int f(x,y(x)) dx$$
is meant to be integrated over all of the x-dependence.

But, without some more context, I could be entirely wrong here.

Thanks for your help everyone. My question has been answered above and beyond.

Related to Total vs Partial Integration: Exploring the Differences and Relationships

1. What is the difference between total and partial integration?

Total integration involves fully incorporating a new system or process into an existing one, while partial integration involves only incorporating certain components or aspects of the new system into the existing one.

2. When is total integration preferred over partial integration?

Total integration is usually preferred when the new system is critical to the functioning of the existing one, or when there is a need for a seamless and efficient workflow between the two systems.

3. What are the advantages of partial integration?

Partial integration allows for more flexibility and customization, as only specific components are integrated. It also reduces the risk of disrupting the existing system and can be a cost-effective solution.

4. What are the challenges of total integration?

Total integration can be a complex and time-consuming process, requiring a significant amount of resources and expertise. It also carries a higher risk of failure and downtime if not executed properly.

5. How can I determine whether total or partial integration is the best approach for my project?

The best approach will depend on the specific needs and goals of your project. It is important to carefully evaluate the potential benefits and challenges of both options and consult with experts or conduct a thorough analysis before making a decision.