Linear equations - use of integrating factor

In summary, The product rule states that (uv)'=u'v+uv'. In the given equation \frac{dy}{dx} + 5y = e2x, we multiply both sides by e5x to get e5x\frac{dy}{dx} + y5e5x = e2x.e5x = e7x. This simplifies to the derivative of y.e5x on the left side, \frac{d}{dx}(y.e5x) = e7x. The mistake of treating y as a constant has been clarified.
nufc365
Hi, I am doing self study and have hit a snag in the road. Can someone please clarfiy this for me. I am reading K.A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics which so far has been great.Consider the equation [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] + 5y = e2x

In this case, we begin multiplying both sides by e5x. This gives

e5x[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] + y5e5x = e2x.e5x = e7x

We now find that the left-hand-side is the derivative of y.e5x.

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex](y.e5x) = e7x____________________

Can someone please clarify how the left hand side is the derivative of y.e5x.

I get that y5e5x is the derivative of y.e5x, but what about the first part of the left-hand-side. What happens to the e5x[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The product rule is

(uv)'=u'v+uv'

here u=y v=e^(5x)

You have taken y'=0

Thanks a lot lurflurf. It seems so obvious now!

I was treating y as a constant. doh

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which the variables are raised to the first power and the coefficients are constants. It can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a linear differential equation to make it easier to solve. It is typically used when the equation is not in a form that can be easily solved by traditional methods.

Why is using an integrating factor helpful?

Using an integrating factor helps to simplify the process of solving a linear differential equation. It allows us to transform the equation into a form that can be solved using basic integration techniques.

How do you find the integrating factor for a linear equation?

To find the integrating factor for a linear equation, we first need to determine the coefficient of the highest derivative term. Then, we can use the formula e∫p(x) dx, where p(x) is the coefficient of the highest derivative term, to find the integrating factor.

What is the purpose of using an integrating factor in linear equations?

The purpose of using an integrating factor in linear equations is to make the equation more manageable and easier to solve. It allows us to transform a difficult equation into a simpler form that can be solved using traditional integration techniques.