Variation of the metric tensor determinant

In summary, the homework statement is that the answer to the variation of the determinant of the metric tensor is that it is equal to the det[g\mu\nu] g\mu\nu \deltag\mu\nu.
InsertName

Homework Statement

This is not homework but more like self-study - thought I'd post it here anyway.

I'm taking the variation of the determinant of the metric tensor:

[itex]\delta(det[g\mu\nu])[/itex].

Homework Equations

The answer is

[itex]\delta(det[g\mu\nu])[/itex] =det[g\mu\nu] g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex]

Here, g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex] is the metric tensor, [g[itex]\mu\nu[/itex]] is the matrix of the components of the metric tensor, and [itex]\delta[/itex] is a variation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to get close to the answer, I hope, with
[itex]\delta(det[g\mu\nu])[/itex]
=det[g\mu\nu] tr([g\mu\nu]-1[itex]\delta[/itex]([g\mu\nu]))

The problem, in my view, is the trace. I cannot see how to remove it.

Also, if someone could kindly describe how to tidy the LaTeX up, I will do that.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use the tags in latex. Instead, write g_{\mu \nu}, g^{\mu \nu} etc.

InsertName said:
I have managed to get close to the answer, I hope, with
[itex]\delta(\det[g_{\mu\nu}]) = \det[g_{\mu\nu}] \mathrm{Tr}([g_{\mu\nu}^{-1}\delta([g_ {\mu\nu}])) [/itex]

This is a little bit tricky, as you don't really keep track of how your matrices are multiplied together. If you do it with more care, you should find something like
[tex] \delta \det(g) = \det(g) \mathrm{Tr}( g \cdot \delta(g) ), [/tex]
with [itex] (g \cdot \delta(g))_{\mu \nu} = g_{\mu \lambda} \delta ({g^\lambda}_\nu) [/itex]
Now it's easy to see what the trace is:
[tex] \mathrm{Tr}( g \cdot \delta(g) ) = (g \cdot {\delta(g))_\mu}^{\mu} = g_{\mu \lambda} \delta (g^{\lambda \mu}) [/tex]

use
g=(1/4!)εαβγδεμvρσgαμgβvgγρgδσ
ggαμαβγδεμvρσgβvgγρgδσ
now when you apply δ on g you can use the second of the above to get whole result.(i am not going to do it in full,because of the requirement of homework section)

Hmm,may be tough.
so use Tr (ln M)=ln(det M)
variation of it yields,
Tr(M-1 δM)=(1/det M)δ(det M)
JUST PUT M=gμv

The variation of the determinant of the metric tensor is an important concept in tensor calculus and differential geometry. It measures the change in the determinant of the metric tensor under a small variation in the components of the tensor.

Your attempt at the solution is on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be corrected. First, the correct expression for the variation of the determinant is:

\delta(det[g\mu\nu]) = det[g\mu\nu] g\mu\nu \delta g^{\mu\nu}

Note that the indices on the variation are raised, indicating that it is a contravariant quantity. Also, the inverse of the metric tensor should be used, not the trace.

To see why this is the correct expression, let's break it down step by step. First, we can use the fact that the determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues to write:

\delta(det[g\mu\nu]) = det[g\mu\nu] \delta(\lambda_1 \lambda_2 ... \lambda_n)

Where \lambda_i are the eigenvalues of the matrix [g\mu\nu]. Then, using the chain rule, we can write:

\delta(\lambda_1 \lambda_2 ... \lambda_n) = \delta\lambda_1 \lambda_2 ... \lambda_n + \lambda_1 \delta\lambda_2 ... \lambda_n + ... + \lambda_1 \lambda_2 ... \delta\lambda_n

Next, we can use the fact that the variation of an eigenvalue is equal to the trace of the variation of the matrix divided by the eigenvalue. This gives us:

\delta(det[g\mu\nu]) = det[g\mu\nu] \left( \frac{\text{tr}(\delta[g\mu\nu])}{\lambda_1} + \frac{\text{tr}(\delta[g\mu\nu])}{\lambda_2} + ... + \frac{\text{tr}(\delta[g\mu\nu])}{\lambda_n} \right)

Finally, substituting in the eigenvalues of the metric tensor, which are just the components of the tensor, we get:

\delta(det[g\mu\nu]) = det[g\mu\nu] \left( \frac{\text{tr}(\delta[g\mu\nu

1. What is the metric tensor determinant?

The metric tensor determinant is a mathematical quantity that is used to calculate the distance between points in a space with curved geometry. It is part of the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of a space.

2. How does the metric tensor determinant vary?

The metric tensor determinant can vary in different ways depending on the geometry of the space. In flat Euclidean space, the determinant is constant and equal to 1. In curved spaces, such as those described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, the determinant can vary at different points.

3. What is the significance of variation in the metric tensor determinant?

The variation of the metric tensor determinant is important because it affects the measurement of distances in curved spaces. In general relativity, the metric tensor determinant is related to the curvature of space-time, which is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of gravity.

4. How is the metric tensor determinant calculated?

The metric tensor determinant is calculated using the components of the metric tensor, which describe the relationship between different coordinates in a space. The determinant is found by taking the product of the diagonal elements of the metric tensor matrix.

5. Can the metric tensor determinant be negative?

Yes, in some cases, the metric tensor determinant can be negative. This occurs in spaces with non-Euclidean geometry, such as those described by general relativity. A negative determinant indicates that the space has a negative curvature, which can have important implications for the behavior of matter and energy in that space.